Alice Henley as Ygritte

Tyro Lannister

It's widely believed that Henley is the anonymous actress who has blogged about trying out for a couple of different roles in GoT, but has not been cast. I think she said it was suggested to her that there may be an S2 role she's good for, though, so... who knows, right?

No, she is too pretty. Unless they want to go by mantra 'people will look only georgues woman', GOT door are open for her.

I agree with you. I guess they could dirty her up a bit, but I don't think it would cover her beauty. It would be really awesome if they could get a 'normal' looking girl next door; the whole thing about Ygritte is that it is her personality that makes her so attractive to Jon.

She is my number one choice for Ygritte. I don't think Ygritte needs to be unattractive at all, but rather an unconventional look would be suitable for a wilding and Henley fits the bill completely.
How the hell is that unconventional? She looks like the younger sister of Angelina Jolie. She's unconventionally beautiful in the same way Daniel Craig is unconventionally handsome.

I could see her as Margaery as well. Yeah, she seemed to be too old for that, but then, aging up Margaery does not really matter at all! And with Renly older, it would also be fitting if both her and Loras would be about 20.

Her approach on Livia actually is how I imagine Margaery. Or would imagine her, if she was married to a man she actually has sex with ;-). But the whole thing about being nice, courteous, and quiet in public whereas being an ambitious and scheming bitch in private nails Margaery to the core.

How the hell is that unconventional? She looks like the younger sister of Angelina Jolie. She's unconventionally beautiful in the same way Daniel Craig is unconventionally handsome.

I personally do not think she is anywhere near Angelina Jolie, but you have a different opinion obviously.

I think this picture right here is exactly what I mean. I don't think there's much conventional about this face (wide set eyes, large forehead, pug nose and short chin) yet she's still attractive.

Eh I disagree about looking like Jolie. Also by Tv/Movie actress standards she is quite average, so I think she could work.

I personally do not think she is anywhere near Angelina Jolie, but you have a different opinion obviously.

I think this picture right here is exactly what I mean. I don't think there's much conventional about this face (wide set eyes, large forehead, pug nose and short chin) yet she's still attractive.

That doesn't make her unattractive, in fact I see her as beautifull. Angelina Jolie is beautifull too, but that kind of beauty is like sculpturing, which is not so cool as one Alice has.

That doesn't make her unattractive, in fact I see her as beautifull. Angelina Jolie is beautifull too, but that kind of beauty is like sculpturing, which is not so cool as one Alice has.

Where did I say otherwise? I specifically said that despite her oddly proportioned face she is still attractive, but that her features make her more of an unconventional beauty than typical standards and this would help separate her from Dany, Cersei, Sansa, etc. who are the more conventional beauties on the show - yet it wouldn't be ugging her out. In movie/tv terms I think she could be a very realistic wilding (by her looks - this is all dependent upon her acting, which I haven't seen any reason why it's not of a worthy caliber). She doesn't need to be ugly, she just shouldn't be the most attractive woman on the show. She can pull off the natural redhead look, is British and as a bonus she even has the upturned nose that Ygritte is described as having (although it's certainly not vital to the character to have). She's not opposed to nude scenes and she's already been on an HBO show.

To quote the ASOIAF wiki -

Ygritte is nineteen, and described as short for her age, skinny but well-muscled, with a round face, small hands, a pug nose, and crooked white teeth. Her most distinctive feature was her fiery red hair. The wildlings consider red hair to be lucky and describe those with it as having been "kissed by fire." [1]

Despite her unconventional features, Jon Snow sees her as beautiful.

Nowhere does it say she has to be unattractive or ugly.

Here on her gallery are a large variety of pictures that show how unique looking she can be. Although Gilly is described as dark haired and eyed I could also see her in the role, but I immediately thought of Ygritte when I saw her. Just a wide variety of looks.

It's widely believed that Henley is the anonymous actress who has blogged about trying out for a couple of different roles in GoT, but has not been cast. I think she said it was suggested to her that there may be an S2 role she's good for, though, so... who knows, right?

I previously skip your post, but was it comfirmed that it was GOT? I know there was some debate, but I didn't stumble on any news after that.

Where did I say otherwise? I specifically said that despite her oddly proportioned face she is still attractive, but that her features make her more of an unconventional beauty than typical standards and this would help separate her from Dany, Cersei, Sansa, etc. who are the more conventional beauties on the show - yet it wouldn't be ugging her out. In movie/tv terms I think she could be a very realistic wilding (by her looks - this is all dependent upon her acting, which I haven't seen any reason why it's not of a worthy caliber). She doesn't need to be ugly, she just shouldn't be the most attractive woman on the show. She can pull off the natural redhead look, is British and as a bonus she even has the upturned nose that Ygritte is described as having (although it's certainly not vital to the character to have). She's not opposed to nude scenes and she's already been on an HBO show.

To quote the ASOIAF wiki -

Nowhere does it say she has to be unattractive or ugly.

I totally agree with you. While I would not refer to her face as "oddly proportioned," I agree that she is very attractive in a less conventional way that Lena Heady, Emilia Clarke, and the other AGOT actresses casted thus far. As far as Ygritte's looks go, I always pictured her being attractive/ appealing, but not quite pretty. Now Henley, on the other hand, is very pretty, even beautiful. However, with the right clothes, makeup, and acting, I could certainly accept her as Ygritte-- that is, as an outsider, and as someone Jon is attracted to without knowing why-- after all, she does not fit his society's notions of what a desirable woman should speak, act, and look like. In short, I'd say that Henley is prettier than how I'd picture the Ygritte from the books, but that she nevertheless would fit the part perfectly.

And on another, note, I'd say regarding the arguements over conventional vs. unconventional beauty seem somewhat silly-- unconventional does not mean "less," after all. It just means more unusual, something other than the classic beauty with all of its corresponding rules.

One issue: we are not going to meet Ygritte until season two; her part does not begin in earnest until season 3. By then Alice Henly will be thirty or so. Though they can add her up, by the way the character is written it seems that her entire personality is very youthful; it would be hard to buy her being in her late or mid twenties unless they make some significant changes to the character.

I guess to me Ygritte isn't 'unconventionally beautiful'. She's basically plain, with a lot of ugly, asymmetrical features. It's that Jon falls in love with her that makes her beautiful in Jon's eyes.

Casting someone that is beautiful, conventionally or no, misses that point hugely.

I thinks she has good look for Ygritte. Personally I have always imagined Ygritte to be a quite pretty girl, not not conventionally beautiful or anything (allot closer to Björk then Angelina Jolie), but still a pretty girl. Some other suggestions:

1.Hannah Murray I was in a discussions in another thread about if Murray really has the fierceness this role demands, the the ability to play character that convincingly, without hesitation, can cut an old man's throat. Personally have no idea how Hannah would do in such a role, so far I have actually only seen her in roles as "troubled teenagers". But what I do know is that if you go by looks alone Murray is the perfect candidate for me: she has the round face, a bit of a pug nose, and crooked white teeth.

2.Lea Seydoux Fan favorite, I can definitely see why!

3. Martina Horrigan She looks the part, don't know anything about acting ability though!

4. Sarah Hilmer Rex Same as above.

5. Ruth Wilson A bit to pretty for the role maybe but I still thinks she has a good look for the part and she is also a very talented actress.

Bear in mind that when Jon first encounters Ygritte, he mistakes her for a man. Looking at some of those suggested - even wrapped up in furs and in the dark - I would be hard pushed to mistake any of them as a man. But hey - I too know nothing.

Saying that - from the names suggested, Martina Horrigan totally nails how I pictured Ygritte.

I thinks she has good look for Ygritte. Personally I have always imagined Ygritte to be a quite pretty girl, not not conventionally beautiful or anything (allot closer to Björk then Angelina Jolie), but still a pretty girl. Some other suggestions:

5. Ruth Wilson

¨

4. Natalie Bray

That's funny... I was just looking at some pictures of Ruth Wilson the other day, and I thought she'd make an ideal Melisandre-- a beautiful, mysterious, unique looking redhead. Personally, I think she would be the perfect Mel. As for Ygritte... i guess I could see that. But I think she looks a bit too sophisticated and classically beautiful to play Ygritte.

Of course, nearly all of the actresses that are being suggested are in my opinion more attractive than the book description of Ygritte. Still, that's typical of TV.

That's funny... I was just looking at some pictures of Ruth Wilson the other day, and I thought she'd make an ideal Melisandre-- a beautiful, mysterious, unique looking redhead. Personally, I think she would be the perfect Mel. As for Ygritte... i guess I could see that. But I think she looks a bit too sophisticated and classically beautiful to play Ygritte.

Of course, nearly all of the actresses that are being suggested are in my opinion more attractive than the book description of Ygritte. Still, that's typical of TV.

Yes, she could actually be a good Mel as well. I actually thought of her as Ygritte because I didn't think she was "classically beautiful". Don't get me wrong, I think she is gorgeous, but she there is something unique and strange about her looks (mainly because of her lips I think) that I thought fitted well with Ygritte as I see her.

Archived