After Elton Interviews GRRM & Weiss

Westeros

We’re guessing this is from the TCA winter press tour, as no date is provided. After Elton, a pop culture site with a focus on topics of interest to gay men, has comments from executive producer D.B. Weiss and creator George R.R. Martin concerning the sexuality of characters in Game of Thrones. Read the extended text for possible spoilers.

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

I am really surprised so many ASOIAF's readers who visit that site weren't aware of the sexuality and relationship of Loras and Renly. It is my understanding that gay people used to look continuously for gay subtext in the media (films, books, comics...).

It starts at their teens when they are trying continuously to reassure themselves that they aren't that alone, and evolves later to a sort of treasure hunting of private jokes (sometimes just to watch their straight friends squirm when they point out all the references that would make one of their favorite comic/book/movie character prone to all-men orgies).

So I am surprised to see them missing the not-too-subtle Renly/Loras references.

Executive producer and series writer D.B. Weiss tells AfterElton.com, “I think there will be a scene mid-season that will make you very happy.”

Heh, it will make a lot of female fans very happy, too. :)

I cannot wait to see these scenes and how they are handled. I know HBO can do these types of things well. David and Keith from Six Feet Under are still one of the hottest couples I've ever watched on a show. You didn't care what gender they were--they had heat.

True Blood's Lafayette and his new boyfriend were less than thrilling for me (not so much chemistry).

In Big Love, Albie's love relationship with another man was really breathtaking.

So, the potential is there. As a viewer, I want to fall in love with them as a potential couple so that when we hear of Renly's demise, we'll ache just as much a Loras does. HBO really is the network to pull that off . . . well . . . with any romance (M/F, F/F, M/M).

Archived