Refusing to Read

Cantabile

Agreed with Liadin. I was thinking of books I already have started reading. There are some authors I will not bother with at all because of reputation. I am not a wealthy enough man to go out purchasing books that I think will probably suck. For instance I will not bother with Goodkind because of his well established tool-hood and that his books apparently suck. (strangely though, I feel compelled to find the full Ted Rockson collection but I'm sure that's nothing counseling won't fix.)

As far as Card goes, I'm not familiar with what the issues are with him. I very much enjoyed Ender's Game and I already have Speaker for The Dead so I will eventually read it. Whatever homophobic shit stainary he might be guilty of I haven't seen it in his books yet. If I did, I would imagine I would finish the book and cross him off my list of authors to purchase. If he believes homosexuality is a sin according to the dictates of his personal god(s) then so be it. I don't agree but it's his right. If he is being a prick about it then I would probably take issue.

Guy takes it way beyond prick. I know he said at one point that if the government legalized gay marriage its our duty as citizens to rise up and overthrow the government. He also said something along the lines of "gay people should all be fired from their jobs". There's worse, but I stopped paying attention to it.

Oh, and the man is an Islamophobe of the Fox News order. Also he has some weird thing going on about mental illness that has to do with is son dying, but I don't know anything about that one, I'd have to look it up.

The man has said some absolutely insane and highly offensive things over the years in interviews and his blog, which is why a people that were formerly Card fans currently loathe the man.

Well, yeah, that might be a problem for me then, I'll have to look it up. Is there, per chance, a thread here that someone could point me to?

Ok. I don't actually know the book your reffering to, but if its downside is simply that attempts to prove the existence of God then thats probably a poor reason not to read it imo. Unless thats all its known for and you are uninterested in the subject.

It's not the equivalent of The God Delusion, and it doesn't try to prove the existence of god in any meaningful way. In fact, it fails to prove the existence of god to the point that I wouldn't even mention the religious aspects if someone asked for a summary. Anyway, I think that only someone with a very new-agey view of god would even be happy with the existence of god aspect, since the moral that I took from it was that religion is probably a delusion, but one that's more fun and interesting than reality.

However, after finishing the book review that I'm doing, I refuse to read any more books that actually do try to prove the existence of god. Why is that a poor reason not to read something? I'm so fucking sick of Christian apologetics. But that goes into a larger category - if I try something a few times and I don't enjoy it for any reason, then I'm not going to keep reading similar things or things by the same author in the hopes that I'll stumble across something awesome because I have enough things that I'm pretty sure I'll like to keep me busy. Examples include Stephen Donaldson, romance novels, and motherfucking Scott Bakker. I hear that there are great romance novels, that The Gap series is a lot different from TC, and that Kellhus isn't as obnoxious in book 4, but when I have a stack of books that I'm actually excited about, why should I keep trying and trying to like things that I've never liked before? (Ok, every now and then I eat a raisin to make sure I still don't like them, but that's not very time consuming).

Guy takes it way beyond prick. I know he said at one point that if the government legalized gay marriage its our duty as citizens to rise up and overthrow the government. He also said something along the lines of "gay people should all be fired from their jobs". There's worse, but I stopped paying attention to it.

Oh, and the man is an Islamophobe of the Fox News order. Also he has some weird thing going on about mental illness that has to do with is son dying, but I don't know anything about that one, I'd have to look it up.

Overthrow the...ok...so he is insane is what you're saying? Because if he actually thinks we should overthrow the gvt for a fairly minor policy adjustment he doesn't agree with then he is probably quite insane

The man has said some absolutely insane and highly offensive things over the years in interviews and his blog, which is why a people that were formerly Card fans currently loathe the man.

To be fair, everything hes written in the last 12 years has been total shit.

Also, the few older ones of his I did enjoy all turned out to be retellings of The Book of Mormon. :angry2:

To be fair, everything hes written in the last 12 years has been total shit.

Also, the few older ones of his I did enjoy all turned out to be retellings of The Book of Mormon. :angry2:

Well someone should retell it, have you read that thing? Anyway, I don't want to Mormon bash so I should shut up now (*cough magic underpants *cough) Ender's Game was very good though. Would the retellings be the Alvin Maker books?

It's not the equivalent of The God Delusion, and it doesn't try to prove the existence of god in any meaningful way. In fact, it fails to prove the existence of god to the point that I wouldn't even mention the religious aspects if someone asked for a summary. Anyway, I think that only someone with a very new-agey view of god would even be happy with the existence of god aspect, since the moral that I took from it was that religion is probably a delusion, but one that's more fun and interesting than reality.

However, after finishing the book review that I'm doing, I refuse to read any more books that actually do try to prove the existence of god. Why is that a poor reason not to read something? I'm so fucking sick of Christian apologetics. But that goes into a larger category - if I try something a few times and I don't enjoy it for any reason, then I'm not going to keep reading similar things or things by the same author in the hopes that I'll stumble across something awesome because I have enough things that I'm pretty sure I'll like to keep me busy. Examples include Stephen Donaldson, romance novels, and motherfucking Scott Bakker. I hear that there are great romance novels, that The Gap series is a lot different from TC, and that Kellhus isn't as obnoxious in book 4, but when I have a stack of books that I'm actually excited about, why should I keep trying and trying to like things that I've never liked before? (Ok, every now and then I eat a raisin to make sure I still don't like them, but that's not very time consuming).

Ok, well it doesn't sound like Christian apologetics anyway. More like new age garble.

Still, I try not to automatically tar everything with the same brush before reading.

I have almost never stopped reading a book once I started; I consider it an obligation to give the entire work a chance if I'm going to give one to any of it. But afterwards, I'm perfectly content to refuse to read anything by an author ever again if I find the style unpleasant, the content unbearably moralistic, or the ethos too alien. For instance, I refuse to again read anything written by Ernest Hemingway, Neal Stephenson, or a Russian other than Nabokov.

I have almost never stopped reading a book once I started; I consider it an obligation to give the entire work a chance if I'm going to give one to any of it. But afterwards, I'm perfectly content to refuse to read anything by an author ever again if I find the style unpleasant, the content unbearably moralistic, or the ethos too alien. For instance, I refuse to again read anything written by Ernest Hemingway, Neal Stephenson, or a Russian other than Nabokov.

Out of curiosity: why Hemingway?

Archived