Who's going to be the dark horse of this production?

Tara1189

It's pretty much general consensus that Bean and Dinklage are going to do great things in their respective roles. But what about those more obscure/unusual/unknown casting choices? Who's going to unexpectedly blow us all away with a jaw-dropping performance? Who's going to become the character we can't take our eyes off when they're onscreen?

So far, I've nominated three potential candidates that might take us by surprise:

1) Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark

Not only is the actress startlingly beautiful, but there seems to be an intriguing 'watchability' about her, something in the way she holds herself. She has a very delicate/vulnerable look about her (a 'princess in the tower' feel combined with that pristine innocence that attracts the Hound), yet with that faint hint of aristocratic beauty that seems perfect for the preening, snobbish Sansa of AGoT. It's a shame we haven't heard any of her lines yet. I can't wait for her scenes with Sandor.

2) Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen

I'll admit it: I'm a total Lloydist. However, my delight in his casting was cemented by the (all too brief) glimpse we got of him in the Inside segment. 'Poisonous' is the only way to describe his dangerously light, aristocratic tone of voice, and God damn it if he doesn't know how to play madness. If ever there was an expression that says 'Don't wake the Dragon', it's this one. If I were forced to make a criticism, it's primarily that having seen Lloyd in other roles, he's just too damn charismatic for a despicable bastard like Viserys, but it really will help to illustrate that the Targaryens are a truly exceptional family.

3) Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark

Truly exceptional child actors are hard to find. Truly exceptional child actors to master the complex material in ASoIaF is even harder. But IHW caught my eye in the trailer. Bran is a complex character: sweet and solemn, childishly innocent yet in many ways older than his years. IHW seems to have that solemnity and wise-beyond-his-years look to him that I haven't seen on such a young actor since Asa Butterfield (who played a deliciously creepy Mordred in Merlin).

Other potential stealers: Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger, Nicolaj Coster-Waldau's Jaime Lannister, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys

My first thought when I saw this thread was Harry Lloyd too. It's actually a shame that he's offed in the first season! He seems like he'll be really fun to watch

Also, Aidan Gillen without a doubt. He is just perfect for Littlefinger and I think he's really gonna get his teeth into this role. I can't wait to see him in action :)

Based on the audio I heard, of NCW's voiceover as Jaime saying "I'll kill the bloody lot of them, until you and I are all that's left in this world" (paraphrase)- I'll bet he's a scene stealer- particularly in seasons 2 and 3 (if we get there :bawl: ), since he'll have more going on...

Based on the audio I heard, of NCW's voiceover as Jaime saying "I'll kill the bloody lot of them, until you and I are all that's left in this world" (paraphrase)- I'll bet he's a scene stealer- particularly in seasons 2 and 3 (if we get there :bawl: ), since he'll have more going on...

Just let them include the Harrehal bath scene. Especially if it's anything like this. Yowza.

Aiden Gillen as LF and Harry Lloyd. Perfect, perfect casting. I reckon they've got their scenes not only stolen, but fenced, sold on, melted down into bullion and locked in a safe.

Also interested to see what this Coster-Waldau fellow does with Jaime Lannister. I've never seen him in anything, but based on the screenshots, I think he certainly looks the part. Could be really interesting.

The other one I'm intrigued about is Rory McCann as the Hound; he doesn't look anything like the image I have in my head, but I'm prepared to be convinced. Same for Bronn, although I do think I'm going to have problems with Jerome Flynn in the part. He's half of Robson and Jerome...going to be hard to get the syrupy, granny-enticing balladeer out of my head enough to take him seriously as the wonderfully amoral sellsword <_<

I predict Dinklage will surprisingly disappoint.

Sansa/Arya/Bran (and even Joffrey to some extent) will be challenging roles, I hope they pull it off. Child actors are so hit or miss. They all certainly look and feel the part.

Yea I thought Dinklage/Tyrion might be a tough one too. Simply because the Tyrion actor is so complex. I'm sure Dinklage is the best choice... outside of getting Gimli from LOTR.

Agreed- Arya will steal every scene she's in. She's an easy clear favorite for this topic. I think even GRRM commented on this casting with great approval.

-----

Ned - will do well.

Cersei stands out for me... will see.

My dark horse is Jon, especially with Ghost. That scene in the new trailer of him sitting on the Iron Throne with Ghost nearby looked pretty bad-ass. Will be interesting to see how much a role Ghost plays.

I'm sure Dinklage is the best choice... outside of getting Gimli from LOTR.

Heh ... John Rhys-Davies is an enormous man, something like 6'4" tall. Visual trickery, and liberal usage of a scale double, made him appear dwarf-sized for the screen. It was actually convenient for the producers that he was that tall, since the ratio of his height to the height of the actors playing the Hobbits was correct for the ratio of dwarves to halflings.

In any case, certainly no Tyrion for him!

Usually, its the character that carries the actor, not the other way around. There are rare cases, such as JK Simmons portrayal of Vern Schillinger in Oz. In such cases, you forget there is an actor involved.

GoT probably wont have a superbly, brilliant actor who plays the role better than we could have imagined in our heads. In such a case, I believe the character will carry the actor, as opposed to the opposite and thus I turn my head to Varys, The Hound, Bronn, Stannis, QoT, etc.

I think NCW has been pretty damned good in whatever glimpes we've had so far. I mean, before this I'd only ever seen him in Wimbledon, where he played the lead's mate/adversary. Thought he was a looker, but I moved on in about a second from that.

He looks and sounds very different compared to that role, which, hopefully, is an indicator of his acting abilities!

One of the Stark children for sure. It's hard to say which one cause I've never seen any of them act, but my guess would be either Arya or Sansa.

Other dark horse may be Jon Snow. Sure, he's a central character, but he's also a relatively new actor, and for those who've never read the books, they'd likely enjoy some of his scenes the most, as they tend to be the most action packed. Depending on how he does, it could be a career launcher.

Nikolaj as Jaime is just one of those perfect castings for me...i look at him in the screenshots and short clips and everything about it just screams, "This is Jaime Lannister".

:agree:

Just let them include the Harrehal bath scene. Especially if it's anything like this. Yowza.

Tara you just made this lady VERY happy... :bowdown:

Archived