Who's going to be the dark horse of this production?

Tara1189

Mark Addy looks like he's doing some major scene stealing in the trailers... For me he's already the dark horse in that I originally thought that he was a horrendous casting choice, and I'm now incredibly excited to see what he does with Robert.

I adore Sibel Kekilli in "Head-On/Gegen die Wand" and I strongly predict she's going to be a total scene-stealer with Shae... though there is the whole "not a lot of roles in English" consideration.

And yeah, I think that if any of the "unknowns" hit it out of the park, it'll count as something of a dark horse just because who knows what will happen with any of them?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. It depends on the definition of "dark horse".

I think that characters like Jaime and the Stark kids, who are already fan favourites as characters and/or played by actors expected to be great, are not really scene-stealing dark horses. Attention will be on them by default. The dark horse must be someone unexpected.

I'm putting my money on Jorah Mormont (Iain Glen). It's a very complex part, the actor is very very talented, and the character has a remarkable screen time, being by Daenerys' side almost always. I'm really curious to see what slant Mr. Glen will give to the character: emphasize the creepy traitor or the sad, conflicted exile?

I also have hopes for Barristan Selmy. From what little I saw of him in armour, he has the charisma required for the audience to cheer when he reappears. (He's one of my faves, cough.)

It also depends a lot from the sheer "durability" of the character. A dark horse for me is a character/actor who comes into his/her own in the long run, maybe over 2-3 seasons (fingers crossed). As such, I agree that Viserys and Robert blew me away in the trailer, but unfortunately they are not going to last long enough to be dark horses!

I'm curious about Tywin because we haven't seen anything of him, but as I said above, he's already a fan favourite, both as character and actor. Same for Stannis, whoever will play him; people will love him anyway, he will automatically steal scenes.

I truly hope for the Tullys in S2 to be dark horses, the whole lot of them. A random Tully, played by a really expressive actor, compelling the viewer to look at him even though he's in the background... hmmm.

I saw no problem with Tyrion's accent. The man has a wonderful voice. I'd listen to him reading the Yellow Pages. But maybe it's just because, as a non-English speaker, I just love it when I understand every word a man utters.

Incidentally, I found 'just so' in several Roland dialogues upon my re-read of The Dark Tower. And that's infinitely cool.

Me too! I'm reading TDT for the first time (just begun "The Waste Lands") and I've made already several double-takes. There's a description of Roland's quickness in drawing that made me think about Arthur Dayne allegedly wielding Dawn with one hand "while taking a piss with the other". :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

For me, depends on definition.

If it's "unknown who can get lots of attention" - I think it's clear the Stark kids (my favourite casting so far Arya), and for me I think Dany is going to knock our socks off.

If it's small role of an unknown that may get larger and more interest over the hopeful seasons - I think Shae, and (believe it or not) Samwell Tarly.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived