Evil Sansa

PestilencE

Exhibit 1:

http://winter-is-coming.net/wp-content/gallery/official-promo-images/sansa-at-table-lr.jpg

Exhibit 2:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs447.ash2/72047_470467617218_544717218_5964577_5499220_n.jpg

Exhibit 3:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1200.snc4/155207_466983527218_544717218_5914333_5811580_n.jpg

Book 1 Sansa is wide-eyed and vulnerable. I don't see Sophie Turner's eternal frown conveying any of those.

Now, her serious expression does serve to indicate maturity, to help contrast with her sister's anarchic nature, but it's still overdone.

Thoughts?

If you look at the 2nd pic, and look at the expressions of the everyone else, they must be at some somber event. So, Sansa's expression seems to follow the mood of that scene.

I agree that these 3 pics aren't enough to decide. Nevertheless, I do hope for a goody-goody smiley princess type for Sansa at least for much of the first half of AGOT.

Three photos taken out of context - hard to judge a performance based on that, damn near impossible. But, one can infer the context from the stories if one thinks about it and in all three cases I think her expression is justified, assuming I'm right about the scenes.

1) It's in King's Landing, she's at her needlework, it looks like. I think this might be one of the scenes where she and Arya have been arguing - specifically one scene where they were eating with their father and their constant bickering leads Eddard to yell at the both of them. Also, I think this is the same scene where he informs them that they will be going back to Winterfell, so it's quite possible she just heard she's not going to be marrying her dear Prince.

2) Looks like Winterfell, they are all lined up and dressed warmly. Pretty sure they are about to meet King Robert for the first time, so of course she and Robb and the rest look tense.

3) She's probably bringing Lady to confront the King, Cersei, her father and Arya about what happened between Arya, Mycha, Nymeria and Joffrey. Again, it makes sense she would look nervous.

Book 1 Sansa is wide-eyed and vulnerable. I don't see Sophie Turner's eternal frown conveying any of those.

Now, her serious expression does serve to indicate maturity, to help contrast with her sister's anarchic nature, but it's still overdone.

Thoughts?

I don't have any complaints with her expressions. I just thought auburn hair was supposed to be a little darker.

GH

Is she at needle work? It looks like she is eating for certain, which could easily be the bickering your described, or perhaps a dinner with Joffrey after the execution of her father, which might explain the stare.

Regardless, I believe this post is perfect evidence that fans will dissect this series to a fault, even when there is no fault to be found.

Seriously, eyebrows? Facial expressions? Enjoy it folks, :D.

Gee, so much silliness here. Sansa looks just fine. My only complaint would be that Lady looks as if she's on a leash. But then Sanasa should look sad because my guess is that she's leading Lady to her destruction by Ned.

Why are folks so negative?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think those pictures of Sansa look particularly evil but I think they are all from scenes early in the book and at that point in

the story Sansa head was still filled with her naive notions of knights and chivalry. Plus the character is what 11-13 years old, those

sure look like the normal expressions of a 13 year old.

Why are folks so negative?

I think this series is so built up in peoples' minds, that any and every detail is going to be scrutinized to the molecular level and anything being found short of perfection will be considered an insult to the source material.

We must trust in the HBO crew as fans and GRRM that the show will do ASoIaF justice. B)

Sansa is anything but mature in A Game of Thrones.

I think this series is so built up in peoples' minds, that any and every detail is going to be scrutinized to the molecular level and anything being found short of perfection will be considered an insult to the source material.

Agreed. Take a stroll to the Entertainment forum and check out the thread on the Hobbit for more examples of hypersensitivity.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't find Sansa a very deep character in the first book, I think she's supposed to be that way. That should make it more interesting later on when we start to see her think for herself and form a personality. So it could be she's just playing the character as written. But I agree in this book she should be carefree and not very serious. Reading too much into a few still though.

I didn't find Sansa a very deep character in the first book, I think she's supposed to be that way. That should make it more interesting later on when we start to see her think for herself and form a personality. So it could be she's just playing the character as written. But I agree in this book she should be carefree and not very serious. Reading too much into a few still though.

You're right, Sansa isn't supposed to be deep in the first book. And, lets be honest, how deep are the thirteen year olds you know? Sure, children have some moments of clarity and insight an adult might miss out on, but for the most part, they're carefree and empty-headed.

Which is going to be the strongest part of Sansa's role in the show, I think. Her mindset is the mindset of those who aren't really familiar with this sort of society. Ask some dude on the street what he thinks of when he hears Arthurian legend or the Medieval period. Grand stories of chivalry, courtly values, fantastical tourneys, heroes, damsels, white knights, blah blah blah. Anyone in this thread read Arthurian tales pre-Tennyson or Mallory, the early Celtic/Norman narratives? Fucking vicious stuff.

Sansa's story is the destruction of childhood innocence and naivete. It'll echo something most people are familiar with, the rape of idealism and purity (do I sound a little jaded?). I really hope they don't ignore that facet of her character.

/end sort of off-topic rant

Archived