A very important issue.

julandro

As everyone knows, most HBO series has been very successful criticism. Epic series like John Adams, Rome, Deadwood, etc, are great quality and have received many kind of recognition and praise. It is impossible that the level of the HBO series is always masterpieces. Are you not concerned that lower the quality of "Game of Thrones"?

I suppose that one day, HBO will not fulfill expectations. :leaving:

I suppose that one day, HBO will not fulfill expectations. :leaving:

6 Feet Under was good but not great, same with Tru Blood.

But nothing i've seen so far makes me think there will be any issues. Great source material, great cast, people who clearly respect the work of GRRM etc.

As everyone knows, most HBO series has been very successful criticism. Epic series like John Adams, Rome, Deadwood, etc, are great quality and have received many kind of recognition and praise. It is impossible that the level of the HBO series is always masterpieces. Are you not concerned that lower the quality of "Game of Thrones"?

No. If you flip a coin a hundred times, and get heads every time, the chance of getting heads on time 101 is still fifty percent.

No. If you flip a coin a hundred times, and get heads every time, the chance of getting heads on time 101 is still fifty percent.

But the odds of getting a hundred and one heads in a row isn't great, since P(great show)<P(Lousy show). Then again, we could take into account HBO's record - P(great show|HBO)...

:leaving:  

But the odds of getting a hundred and one heads in a row isn't great, since P(great show)<P(Lousy show). Then again, we could take into account HBO's record - P(great show|HBO)...

I'm not entirely sure what that last sentence means, not being mathematically inclined.

What is a bad HBO show? Curious what they are.

I adored Six Feet Under. Thought it was brilliant. Rome was good and I think if we are going to try to compare a show to the upcoming GoT, it would be Rome. However, as much as I loved Vorenus and Pullo and Atia, Marc Anthony, Caesar, the story wasn't as fresh as GoT in my opinion.

HBO really is entering new territory here in terms of period pieces, fantasy, etc. I don't think it will be "ho hum" to the average reader of Martin's series. There is some nitpicking so far in certain threads. I have simply avoided them because it is not my preferred kind of board-interaction. I imagine the people who were wholly turned off by Jackson's LOTR adaptation will be equally as aggravated by HBO's adaptation.

I think it will be a popular "niche" show. The Sopranos, for example, had widespread appeal with the "hits and t**s" crowd, as the more casual fans who showed up purely for the violence and sex were called. I realize GoT is laden with these two things, but it will not be as simplistic or easily understood. Bottom line: GRRM is a better writer, but better writing also brings additional complexity to the table.

I think GoT will lack that more casual audience but will do well with a very loyal, very vocal core group of viewers. People here will nitpick, sure, but you can rest assured we'll also tune in. Thus, HBO will not care. The key in getting the show to blow up in terms of ratings, however, will require being able to pull in someone like my girlfriend, who likes Sci-Fi and fantasy but really looks to the sweeter stuff, like Harry Potter and Star Wars. I anticipate she will not be watching GoT with me. We'll see, however - Jamie pushing Bran out of the window definitely has some shock value.

Axon, you're right. A Game of Thrones is realistic, complex and very dark. In HBO the public usually has very good taste and know how to be very demanding. But the problem is going to be, in that HBO will have trouble knowing how to sell a series that has no conventional heroes

But the problem is going to be, in that HBO will have trouble knowing how to sell a series that has no conventional heroes

Julandro, have you ever actually seen an HBO show? Or are you just saying random things that come into your head?

No offense intended, but that is just a totally bizarre thing to say after you mentioned The Sopranos, Rome, and Deadwood-- three well-loved shows that don't have any conventional heroes at all. Neither did The Wire, Six Feet Under, or Oz. It's almost a requirement on HBO. You might as well say that the NFL will have trouble persuading football fans to watch large men in helmets playing football.

Julandro, have you ever actually seen an HBO show? Or are you just saying random things that come into your head?

No offense intended, but that is just a totally bizarre thing to say after you mentioned The Sopranos, Rome, and Deadwood-- three well-loved shows that don't have any conventional heroes at all. Neither did The Wire, Six Feet Under, or Oz. It's almost a requirement on HBO. You might as well say that the NFL will have trouble persuading football fans to watch large men in helmets playing football.

You're right. I do not know, maybe I was thinking about other things such as this time looking for more viewers Am I clear?

What is a bad HBO show? Curious what they are.

I wasn't a fan of Carnivale, but it does have it's following. There was that show about the pro football team from back in the 1980's that was pretty bad. Other than that, I have a hard time saying the other shows of theirs I've seen are bad. Some are only good, but generally the quality is incredibly high.

From Not Necessarily the News and Dream On in the 80's and early 90's, to The Larry Sanders Show in the 90's, to the current run of great shows from the late 90's until now, starting with Oz and The Sopranos, then The Wire (the best show ever...the best filmed drama in any medium, ever actually), Rome, etc. It's quite a run of great quality.

Archived