Is Fantasy Without Magic Still Fantasy?

Datepalm

No desire from the author, not from the book, was my meaning. The author throws you into a setting that is not going to be explained by science, by alternate history, by unexplored geography -- that's not going to be explained by any means, that doesn't ask you to provide your own explanation.

I think as long as it plays in a world significantly different from ours it can still be classed fantasy.

If it is on a world that is specifically built up as being another planet it would probably be science fantasy.

I used to hold a different opinion, but not any more.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revive this thread-- but I'm trying to find some good alternate world fantasy (but without magic).

What are some of your favorite "fantasy" works without magic?

I'm considering Kay, but I'm open. What matters to me is deep-ish, complex, morally ambiguous characters, etc..

Thanks very much

Kj parker writes great fantasy with no magic.

she would be the best example I can think of.

And dont apologize for reviving threads. Its much prefered to starting ten new ones, all the same. I like to reread the old posts.

I'm considering Kay, but I'm open. What matters to me is deep-ish, complex, morally ambiguous characters, etc..

Kay's a good call. The moral ambiguity isn't on GRRM levels, but still some great characters. Seems to meet your other requirements. Some of his books have more magic than others. The Lions of Al-Rassan has virtually none. I didn't personally like that one much and would recommend Tigana (low-magic) or A Song for Arbonne (very low-magic) instead.

Part of what got me reading fantasy was Jordan's take on magic. I think I really liked the almost scientific approach on weaving.

I was also originally really attracted to GRRM because of the lack of magic.

These comments seem a bit strange as I have now read 8 books from Erikson and enjoyed all but TtH.

Anyhow, I don't see why there needs to be magic for a story to be fantasy. You could take out all the magic from GRRM and I still think it would be a sweet fantasy book. If there are made up worlds/cultures/races it seems like it is fantasy to me.

Archived