World of Warcraft

Greywolf2375

Interesting week in raid. Tuesday we got 25 bodies on line and headed to BWD - had a number of new folks so Magmaw seemed best first option. That was utter failure - had 7 melee and for some reason we couldn't get three jumping on his head. Yep. 200 gold later in repairs we decide to break down into two ten mans. neither one ripped it up, but was just amazed at the difference. Reinforced that at this point we're just not able to carry anyone, forget 20% of the raid.

Saw the changes for MCing the trash in BoT - we did have some problems with those pulls. What are you all using for CC on that trash and what kill order?

I got my holiday drake on my rogue some time ago, not doing it on any other character. Thank god I don't have to do this Elder bullshit ever again.

Is there any cool new shit -- pets, mounts, etc. -- that's being added for Valentine's this year?

Edit: I see I was just barely beaten, hopefully the mods can merge threads for us. I submit that my thread has the better subtitle.

I know I'm late to the party but I'm only now trying to teach myself keybinds. I've been playing for about a year and I am sick of the clunky movements my character makes when I use ASDW to move around. So now what's hard is that I have too much movement and I can't quite control it yet. I've been practicing with my rogue who is at level 78. I did some dungeons and I can imagine my teammates were watching me jump around all crazy and laughing irl. First dungeon I was a keybinder in I was at the bottom of the dps chart, but by the fourth I was up to number two or three overall and several tops on boss fights. So I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but being that I am at the early stages of learning it just feels awkward as hell to use the buttons for my attacks.

I know I'm late to the party but I'm only now trying to teach myself keybinds. I've been playing for about a year and I am sick of the clunky movements my character makes when I use ASDW to move around. So now what's hard is that I have too much movement and I can't quite control it yet. I've been practicing with my rogue who is at level 78. I did some dungeons and I can imagine my teammates were watching me jump around all crazy and laughing irl. First dungeon I was a keybinder in I was at the bottom of the dps chart, but by the fourth I was up to number two or three overall and several tops on boss fights. So I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but being that I am at the early stages of learning it just feels awkward as hell to use the buttons for my attacks.

Don't most people still use ASDW to move? My key binds are all for abilities but I still use the same four directional buttons plus Q and E for strafing (wich makes moving less clunky). Just use your mouse to turn instead of doing it slowly with buttons.

A number of folks swear by ESDF for movement, since it gives you more keys to press on the left that are close by.

A lot of people use the arrows to move. A lot. A really large amount. It's kinda scary to watch.

I've been really tempted by that - they feel far better than a keyboard. The biggest problem is that I play on two different computers a lot of the time, and picking it up and moving it around would suck a bit.

The logitech ones also look pretty hawtThe thing I like most is the thumbstick for moving. Four keys sucks for moving compared to a joystick.

I recently picked up one of these. For way cheaper then the usual cost, and I like it much better then my key board for combat in most computer games.

That's the speed pad I've been using for a bit and love it. The drivers don't need to be updated too often, so maintaining isn't so bad. One thing it does allow - that I haven't figured out how to do - is set up far more complex macro's than what the in game macro's can do.

I use ESDF too. Although for keyboard moving I generally only use the keyboard to go back and forward. (well and strafe). I use mouse to do almost all my turning. (exception being when I'm tanking something and I just want to nudge the boss a bit in a different direction) But if you want to do a 180 or something then you better use the mouse.

ESDF for me is by far the better setup since I don't use the numbers. All my abilities are on c,v,g,t and shift of those plus my 2 extra mouse buttons and shifts of those. Anything that doesn't make it in to that group of 12-14 abilities gets clicked.

I use ASDW + mouse for movement, and the ~ to = keys for the most common spells. I do need to get a mouse that has more than 3 buttons, though, and map some other stuff to the mouse buttons. I found that with this expansion, where you get access to all the spells despite what tree you have, I have now more skills that I need to use than before. Those two gadgets look cool, so I'll have to look into them.

Well my ASDW are still bound to movement, I just am trying not to use them.

I click both mouse buttons to move forward. So I can just keep pressure applied on leftclick and rotate my camera around until I center on where I should go and then I depress rightclick and I'm off and running. I can depress the roller for back-up but I rarely do that. I am thinking of binding the strafing to the roller scroll up and down. Right now my scroll deals with the zoom and I can set that to pretty much anywhere else.

My attacks are set to GHJK, main interrupt at L and 'secondaries' above and below. So on my rogue I have...

G - Hemorrhage

H - Backstab

J - Rupture(Ambush in stealth)

K - Eviscerate

L - Kick

Above on U/I I have Envenom, below on BNM I have Gouge, Blind and Sap.

The semi-colon is stealth and the comma is Cloak of Shadows/Vanish macro. Number eight is Shadowstep but thats easy to click.

That's about it for what I tried with my rogue. I am still at the early stages, as I said, so nothing is set in stone. I'm still doing the Wrath stuff on this character so CC isn't an issue but I will need it soon enough.

That's...odd. But ok.

I use ASDW for movement - left and right are strafe, not turn. Ability keys are 1-6, QERTY, FGH and ZXCVB with some shift/ctrl modifiers.

I don't use anything past the YHN barrier during combat, though some are hotkeys for menu items (like shift-o for social, as an example).

For turning I use the right button on the mouse and turn. I occasionally run forward pressing both buttons but not very often. Scrollwheel zooms, left button selects, other buttons don't do anything because I use multiple (different) mice and don't want to get too used to anything.

I should probably switch to ESDF. I'm using WASDQE to move at the moment, and 1-0 for abilities, but i can only hit 1-5 reliably. Once I have to try to hit six or further, I'm clumsy. Which is awesome, since I have my interrupt on 6 (main rotation 1-4 [well, I click lacerate/pulverize. I know, I know]), taunt 5.1

Truth is, the more to the center of the keyboard you move, the more keybinds you get. In vanilla, when I played a rogue (rogues had the fewest keybinds back then, and you could literally play with 2-3 buttons) I didn't see the point of moving my binds to (for example) TFGH or something similar. Some of the pvp movies I watched then had people using those and they were successful especially for casters, which even back then, had a handful of buttons. Warriors went with ESDF a lot, because they could use QAZ for stances.

Eventually I made the harsh decision to remain a WASD player and I am paying for it more and more each expansion. I ran out of keybinds a long time ago. I avoid becoming a clicker only by using macros for most of my cooldown abilities (trinkets, demon soul, pet abilities, etc.) but even so I am at a loss for additional keybinds. Currently I'm using F1-5(laptop keyboard, the F's are close-by), 1-6, QERT, FGHJ, ZXCVB, ` and \ (the last is between my space bar and the left alt). I also use the alt+:1234, F1, QERXZ. Wish Ctrl and Shift were comfy to use, but I cannot deform my hand enough to use them as modifiers yet.

I sincerely hope blizz stops adding spells and starts changing the existing ones. We don't need more stuff in the game, we have plenty of abilities that could do more.

I have arrow keys bound to movement, and numpad as well, with 1 and 3 on numpad bound to strafing, 4 and 6 for left and right, 5 for back, 8 for forward. Funnily enough, i use numpad, arrow keys, AND mouse (mouse mainly) to move. Odd.

As for keybinds... Well. i have 1-0, then - and =. then the entire line from q to i keybound, with o and p for friends list and spellbook. then a-k bound, with L for quest log, and then \,z, and x all bound. C,V,B,N, and M are all used for thier normal uses. Oh, and i also have F keys 1 through 6 bound to spells, potions, or mounts. oh yeah, and my pimrary flying mount is on ].

Edit : Just to verify, i mainly use my mouse for movement, and my other hand is all over the keyboard. In fact, i find people who dont do something similar to me odd...

I have arrow keys bound to movement, and numpad as well, with 1 and 3 on numpad bound to strafing, 4 and 6 for left and right, 5 for back, 8 for forward. Funnily enough, i use numpad, arrow keys, AND mouse (mouse mainly) to move. Odd.

As for keybinds... Well. i have 1-0, then - and =. then the entire line from q to i keybound, with o and p for friends list and spellbook. then a-k bound, with L for quest log, and then \,z, and x all bound. C,V,B,N, and M are all used for thier normal uses. Oh, and i also have F keys 1 through 6 bound to spells, potions, or mounts. oh yeah, and my pimrary flying mount is on ].

Edit : Just to verify, i mainly use my mouse for movement, and my other hand is all over the keyboard. In fact, i find people who dont do something similar to me odd...

That's all good, Shiva, but what do you do with your spare 3 hands? :)

Edit: Ooh so you do hold the mouse with your second hand ... let me rephrase my question - how big is your left hand? :D

well the numpad i only use for strafing movement, so il use numpad movement on bosses like Atramedes, to avoid sonic discs. I usually use my mouse with arrow keys a little. It's kinda odd and hard to descirbe, but my left hand is all over the keyboard, and it works fine. I hardly ever hit the wrong key, and i can have every single spell in the (spell)book on my actionbars this way. It would be alot easier if everyone did that tbh... kinda annoying when i die to that trash dragon in BWD because stupid druid didnt have soothe on his bars and didnt dispell enrage, or the stupid (other) paladin didnt have hand of sacrifice on his bars.

When i watch videos of boss kills, i am constantly confused as to how people work with so few spells.

Today I worked on my hunter who is level 85. I was a little worried about that but I stayed in the regular dungeons and it worked out alright. I'm working with the same keys as the rogue. I want to use the same keys in as close to the same ways for all my characters. So I have...

T - Concussive

G - Serpent Sting

H - Arcane

J - Steady

K - Chimera

L - Silence

U - Kill

I - Aimed

B - Readiness

N - Rapidfire

Comma - Feign death

Anything else I clicked. I still have some work to do on it. It was odd at times. I need to bind Tranq shot for enrages and some of the bubbles that are dispellable. I use the mouse for the trap launcher. I discovered that the mouse roller isn't going to work for strafing so I bound that to the right and left arrow keys. I'll probably put Deterrence and Cammo down on B and N and change Readiness and Rapid to the numberpad + and -. We'll see.

Did my first Ulduar run last night. We did normal until the Assembly of Iron. Then we one shot AOI, Hodir, Thorim, and Freya on hard mode. Kept wiping on Mimiron on hard mode because we couldn't get the three bosses down at the same time and couldn't contain all that fire on Phase 4. We will continue from Mimiron and eventually go for Yogg 0 and Algalon.

Archived