Article - HBO's Game of Thrones Will Be Awesome.

limbstan

I've often wondered if GRRM had it to do over again if he'd have made the first three books a trilogy with a bit more solid ending. Then he could have picked up the second "Song of Ice and Fire" trilogy whenever and wherever he'd wanted. Perhaps with a 'bridge' stand-alone book between them. Robin Hobb's pair of Fitz trilogies worked pretty well. And there was a lot less hostility directed toward her between them, even though the main external threat hadn't been dealt with.

That would have been alot better. I loved the whole "inspired by the war of roses" idea. This series really introduced me to fantasy ( although I did read Hobbit + LOTR and disliked them) but it was so different from what I perceived to be formulaic because it read like a historical fiction in a non-Earth world instead.

I was never a fan of the magic elements in ASoIaF. I dont care as much about it in other series, but it just blows the balance out of the water. I was so disappointed when GoT ended with Dany getting dragons. I thought Mel giving birth to shadow giants and magic assassinations was stupid and the prophecies had me shaking my head. So maybe a trilogy or tetralogy (wasnt that the initial plan?) covering the Game of Thrones aspect would have been much, much better IMO. A follow-up ASoIaF could be done. Mashing the two elements may be enjoyed by most, but personally, I dont like it.

Everything I hate in this series in linked to the magical elements, and everything I love is linked to the human elements. If HBO pulls off those human elements, we may see a larger audience appreciating the story for its themes, rather than just the aesthetics value. I still see it maintaining the success that we saw with Boardwalk Empire. I doubt it will reach Soprano/Wire heights.

Firefly got canceled and still got a motion picture to wrap it up.

Hell, look at what happened with Star Trek after it was cancelled.

No reason this has to be any different. Especially as the fans are already numerous and guaranteed ticket buyers even before the show airs.

That would have been alot better. I loved the whole "inspired by the war of roses" idea.

I don't think Bronn was suggesting that all the magic elements were removed from aGoT. Although, fair enough if you dislike those aspects.

I agree, that part left me disappointed. It just seemed a cheap way to get Renly out of the picture.

Would it have been better if it had been a normal assassin?

I don't think Bronn was suggesting that all the magic elements were removed from aGoT. Although, fair enough if you dislike those aspects.

For GoT, it was just the Dragons that really pissed me off because it is such a huge, huge deal. Memoirs of magic, such as the dragon bones and the wall and the God-trees (whatever they were) were all really subtle magic portions. Its just when you get things like dragons, fucking shadow children being birthed, and god damn prophecies that really blows things out of whack.

Look at Malazan books - right off the bat we have demons being summoned and "waves of sorcery" - so absolutely any drivel that SE can think of will fit into his world of retardedly over powered characters.But, when you pop significantly huge magic pieces in an essentially non-magic world, thats where the problems start.

I don't think you can say that the world was a non-magic one. Just look at the prologue. Or even the rather mystical direwolf pubs. GRRM wasn't trying to pull a fast one with the dragon reveal given how the books started. Its fair enough if you'd prefer if GRRM left out all those aspects but he was never going that way. Even the dragons were hinted at throughout aGoT.

For GoT, it was just the Dragons that really pissed me off because it is such a huge, huge deal. Memoirs of magic, such as the dragon bones and the wall and the God-trees (whatever they were) were all really subtle magic portions. Its just when you get things like dragons, fucking shadow children being birthed, and god damn prophecies that really blows things out of whack.

I agree, the subtle behind the scenes magic felt natural to the flow of the story, even the dragons, although surprising, fit into the world, but Melisandre and all her meddling really felt out-of-place and over-powered.

I agree, the subtle behind the scenes magic felt natural to the flow of the story, even the dragons, although surprising, fit into the world, but Melisandre and all her meddling really felt out-of-place and over-powered.

But Melisandre is no more than just an elaborate assassin. And even then, she wasn't responsible for Balon, Robb and Joff's death IMO.

I think SoS will be the ending. Dont forget, the series is called Game of Thrones. The Others and Dany will probably just be an unresolved story line, which I am fine with.

I see this somewhat also, and very easy to do. Just dont make John a significant character and that fights against the others and wildlings is just an everyday thing at the wall. A massive other army need not be created, and everything else can still be just the same.

Just dont make John a significant character and that fights against the others and wildlings is just an everyday thing at the wall. A massive other army need not be created, and everything else can still be just the same.

Given the publicity so far, Jon is going to be pretty significant.

Yup, Dany and Jon are major characters. The stuff in the East and stuff on the Wall will have as high a profile as they did in the books. Benioff and Weiss have even said that if they'd done it as a movie they would have considered dropping those characters and went with TV because they really wanted to include as much as possible.

Archived