Egyptian riots, thread 2

MinDonner

I thought we cared about Egypt and Israel invading each other because of human rights concerns?

Another alternative is that Israel may actually be motivated to get of its ass and broker a lasting agreement regarding the Palestinians.

I cannot pretend to know enough to say which is more likely.

Isn't it the fault of the radicals for Mubarak being in office in the first place?

In that they shot his predecessor? Yes.

And I don't recall his predecessor having been a U.S. puppet.

Err, Sadat was the guy who moved (decisively) Egypt from the Soviet to the US camp, and made peace with Israel in the process.

But, I would also 100% agree with Coco that we have nobody but ourselves to blame for the way the United States is viewed in the region. That's what happens when you screw around with a region that you have no business trying to control for half a century.

Absolutely. But that doesn't change the fact that we have to decide what, if anything, we want to do with the current situation.

Nations threaten and attack each other all the time around the world and it doesn't seem to interfere with "American interests". So that can't be it.

Actually, they very rarely do nowadays. Largely because the US and the other Great Powers have taken a rather dim view towards that kind of thing.

It still happens of course, but you'd be surprised at how rare it is.

Archived