Egypt Mk. 3

Inigima

Israel has the bomb, Egypt doesn't. And if there's one thing Israel has proven, it's that They Will Go There. That should be their national motto, actually. I doubt open conflict is likely.

Don't think so. They apparently already had nuclear warheads during the Yom Kippur war and this did not happen. They have also stated repeatedly that they will not use them first.

ZDNet says that Egyptians are using dial up to get on the internet after the shutdown.

The horror...

Now THAT sounds like a matter for the U.N. Commission on Human Rights!

We're having a Muslim coup*? Time to hoard whisky and pointy sticks, which they will have to seize from my cold dead hands.

*Does this mean a kebab is out of the question?

Dammit. That, coupled with your avatar, made me spit diet root beer all over my keybroad.

We're having a Muslim coup*? Time to hoard whisky and pointy sticks, which they will have to seize from my cold dead hands.

*Does this mean a kebab is out of the question?

The waiters at the Tandoori Cottage were last seen storming the (good Christian) gates of La Galleria Ristorante Italiano. I hope everyone is prepared for curried pizza.

And also an individual who believes what he espouses even if the out come isn't fully favorable. We preach democracy, right? Hell, we invaded a country to bring democracy to it's people, something which like 65% of Americans supported at the time. So, let's put our money where our mouths are and announce that the USA supports the rights of the people, and that we will do our best to work with any new government that comes out of this.

How did that war that 65% of the US supported go? Yeah... I think the appetite for exporting Democracy is a bit weak now. And in my mind I have a perhaps irrational connection that goes:

America preaching Democracy in Egypt --> America invading Egypt to control the Suez implement democracy

Just to correct my earlier statement, apparently Israel's policy on the use of nuclear weapons is that it will not use them unless any of the following four things happen:

(1) A successful Arab military penetration into populated areas within Israel's post-1949 (pre-1967) borders.

(2) The destruction of the Israeli Air Force.

(3) The exposure of Israeli cities to massive and devastating air attacks or to possible chemical or biological attacks.

(4) The use of nuclear weapons against Israeli territory.

So, they would not use them to hold on to Gaza, etc. Also, apparently they had nuclear warheads pointed at Cairo and Damascus during the Yom Kippur war. And, as we all know, if Iraq bombed them again in the lead up to the second Gulf War, they pretty much said they would nuke them.

Their official policy is "nuclear opacity," i.e. if they don't announce that they have any, then they've kept to their earlier promise to not "introduce them" to the region, i.e. they never said, "Hi, we would like you to meet our nukes. Nukes, say hi to Egypt, Iran, Jordan, etc. Egypt, Iran, Jordan, these are our nukes."

Want to read something else disturbing? From Jeffrey Goldberg for The Atlantic:

I have been exploring the possibility that such a strike will eventually occur for more than seven years, since my first visit to Tehran, where I attempted to understand both the Iranian desire for nuclear weapons and the regime’s theologically motivated desire to see the Jewish state purged from the Middle East, and especially since March of 2009, when I had an extended discussion about the Iranian nuclear program with Benjamin Netanyahu, hours before he was sworn in as Israel’s prime minister. In the months since then, I have interviewed roughly 40 current and past Israeli decision makers about a military strike, as well as many American and Arab officials. In most of these interviews, I have asked a simple question: what is the percentage chance that Israel will attack the Iranian nuclear program in the near future? Not everyone would answer this question, but a consensus emerged that there is a better than 50 percent chance that Israel will launch a strike by next July.

Wonder if the possibility of an unfriendly Egypt is speeding up the timeline? Certainly it has to have some effect?

Just to correct my earlier statement, apparently Israel's policy on the use of nuclear weapons is that it will not use them unless any of the following four things happen:

Yeah, Israel's position is that they will not be the ones to 'introduce nuclear weapons to the region'. Which basically means that they'll keep being coy about having them despite everyone knowing they do so they can keep the advantage.

Their official policy is "nuclear opacity," i.e. if they don't announce that they have any, then they've kept to their earlier promise to not "introduce them" to the region, i.e. they never said, "Hi, we would like you to meet our nukes. Nukes, say hi to Egypt, Iran, Jordan, etc. Egypt, Iran, Jordan, these are our nukes."

Want to read something else disturbing? From Jeffrey Goldberg for The Atlantic:

Wonder if the possibility of an unfriendly Egypt is speeding up the timeline? Certainly it has to have some effect?

Well, does that count the stuxnet worm, or not?

I assume not (and apparently it doens't count Mossad's assasination of Iranian physicist Ardeshir Hassanpour either), although hopefully that prolonged the timeline a bit. Still, if we see an anti-Semitic regime come to power in Egypt, I bet they will deploy tactical nukes.

According to the AP wire service the Egyptian military has said in a statement they will not show violence to peaceful protestors. I think the writing is on the wall for Mubarak, if the military stands down for peaceful protests the regime has no chance. I doubt if the military is willing to stand aside for peaceful protests that they will stand aside for police and paramilitary security services to shoot at protestors.

According to the AP wire service the Egyptian military has said in a statement they will not show violence to peaceful protestors. I think the writing is on the wall for Mubarak, if the military stands down for peaceful protests the regime has no chance. I doubt if the military is willing to stand aside for peaceful protests that they will stand aside for police and paramilitary security services to shoot at protestors.

following up on what you just said

CAIRO — The political forces aligned against President Hosni Mubarak appeared to strengthen sharply Monday when the Army said for the first time that it would not fire on the protesters who have convulsed Egypt for a week demanding his resignation. The announcement was shortly followed by the government’s first offer to talk to the protest leaders.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/world/middleeast/01egypt.html?hp

The protesters will be starving before the government. I think Mubarak is betting if he doesn't step down on Thursday that everyone will pack up and go home. If the protesters are non-violent and the army just watches, it will be business as usual in a week or two, just like Iran.

I think you're right. The truth is that if nothing happens, Mubarak wins. And the military statement isn't as good for protestors as some might think. If the military simply protects government buildings, that will include protecting Mubarak, and they've reserved the right to act against protestors who get violent. And absent violence, I'm not sure they can topple him.

Archived