10 episodes enough!?

shawdowmnky

Hi.. im a fellow lover of the series aSoIaF and have 2 questions about the new series on HBO.. Do yall believe 10 episodes will be enough to get into the depth of this book? also how will they deal with all the intrigue and plotting that goes on in the characters heads?.. People wont always understand the motives behind what the characters are doing like we do in the books.. anyway just found this forum and im excited!.. im trying not to expect to much from this series so i am not dissapointed.. but that is hard.

The television adaptation will never be as in depth as the the books. Enjoy it for what it is. Also, the first season of the show may not be the entirety of the 1st book. It could end with the execution, or 'THE KING IN THE NORTH" or Dragons hatching... We just dont know. And this is further complicated if there is a second season. They may just choose to merge the books.

I don't think the seasons will be as clear cut as Book 1, Book 2 etc. Some of the books are very long, and I think they're going to be eager to get more episodes out of the material, not less. They have several books to get through but at the rate GRRM is writing they're going to want to keep from catching up.

So I'd predict they get to a good climax and keep people wanting more, then next season will be the same thing, third and fourth will finish up the third book. Then the fourth and fifth books will be mixed chronologically and spread out over several more seasons.

This is assuming the show stays on the air nearly this long. Getting the second season will probably be easy (due to the investment already put forth) but based on how easy it is to get a third, I think that's when they decide whether or not to milk it or wrap it up quickly.

Anyway, I think 10 episodes for the first book would be enough since they aren't going to include a lot of smaller stuff. It'll be nice to have people want to read the book to get more. If it was a perfect translation, the books would be less relevant.

The television adaptation will never be as in depth as the the books. Enjoy it for what it is. Also, the first season of the show may not be the entirety of the 1st book. It could end with the execution, or 'THE KING IN THE NORTH" or Dragons hatching... We just dont know. And this is further complicated if there is a second season. They may just choose to merge the books.

Actually, it was reported somewhere about them shooting the bonfire scene, so at least that climax will be shown. I suspect "The King in the North" scene will be a much more simple scene to shoot than that. I think we're going to get the full book, this time, in terms of all the major plot points. Anything that gets left out or pushed to next season will be much more minor.

I do think that twelve episodes would have been better. My one major hope is that when they get to A Storm of Swords they'll make it a 12-14 episode season instead of splitting it into two seasons, which I think is the current rumour of what they're planning to do.

I think fewer episodes is better. 10 hours should be plenty of time to tell this story. Remember the theatre releases of all of LoTR come in just about 10 hours. More happens in LotR than in aGoT.

I'm more worried about them actually finishing the thing than I am about having every detail in. I think they should stick to one HBO-sized-series per book.

ASoS being 12-14 eps would be good. On the other hand, as it stands you could do aFfC in like 5 episodes to be honest. Lots of fat to trim there. :P But of course they will intercut the aFfC stuff with events from aDwD.

The speculative scripting of A Game of Thrones by FaBio over at winter-is-coming.net resulted in a consensus that ten episodes would probably work better than eleven or twelve, because less filler material would be needed. Consider that at least the scenes at Riverrun have been postponed until season two and that HBO's original drama series have full-hour-episodes. It should be sufficient for the first novel. A Clash of Kings will likely get a few more episodes. At 1.521 manuscript pages A Storm of Swords, however, is a much greater task, with twelve to fourteen episodes (as suggested above) probably not being enough to narrate the whole plot.

We know they haven't cut any significant plot threads. (There might be a slight question about the King of the North scene but i'd be very surprised if it isn't there. And in the end, its only one scene anyhow). We know they have added some extra scenes. Thus 10 episodes is definitely enough.

While us fans would never get enough Westeros on screen, for the wider audience, probably best to keep a good pace also.

George has said he'd have preferred twelve, and I imagine he's seen the scripts, so maybe there are things he think would have worked better with two more episodes. OTOH, I think to some degree he might also be thinking that more episodes would have meant more room for minor and secondary characters, but that of course would suppose that they could afford to bump up the roles of these characters to make them more in line with the novel.

Ten does seem to do it very well, though.

The speculative scripting of A Game of Thrones by FaBio over at winter-is-coming.net resulted in a consensus that ten episodes would probably work better than eleven or twelve, because less filler material would be needed. Consider that at least the scenes at Riverrun have been postponed until season two and that HBO's original drama series have full-hour-episodes. It should be sufficient for the first novel. A Clash of Kings will likely get a few more episodes. At 1.521 manuscript pages A Storm of Swords, however, is a much greater task, with twelve to fourteen episodes (as suggested above) probably not being enough to narrate the whole plot.

The thing is, although ASoS and ACoK are longer, and though I think ASoS in particular could use more than ten episodes, they do also have a lot more padding, particularly at the beginning of both (in particular, lots of scenes of Arya wandering the Riverlands that could and should be condensed). Thinking about A Storm of Swords, although there are definitely some great scenes and character moments in the first half, and though much of the setup is necessary for the later complete awesomeness, the vast majority of the big events happen after the midway point. If they do split it into two seasons of ten hours episodes, that first season is going to be very slow, and will have to add a lot of filler- I'm sure the climax would be the Red Wedding, but still not worth it, methinks.

If they do split it into two seasons of ten hours episodes, that first season is going to be very slow, and will have to add a lot of filler- I'm sure the climax would be the Red Wedding, but still not worth it, methinks.

Yes. This has crossed my mind before. I wouldn't say its very slow but yes, aSoS has all its biggest events in the second half. OTOH, there still is some big events on in the first half (they just don't seem major in comparison with what follows). There still is Jaime's hand. Jon escaping from the Wildings. Some Dany battles. Sansa's marriage? (I haven't the book, so i'm guessing these all fall into the first half). Mormonts death.

George has said he'd have preferred twelve, and I imagine he's seen the scripts, so maybe there are things he think would have worked better with two more episodes. OTOH, I think to some degree he might also be thinking that more episodes would have meant more room for minor and secondary characters, but that of course would suppose that they could afford to bump up the roles of these characters to make them more in line with the novel.

That's true. Maybe a better way to put it is that 10 is enough. 12 would work, maybe even better, depending on people's tastes.

I'm more worried about them actually finishing the thing than I am about having every detail in. I think they should stick to one HBO-sized-series per book.

ITA. Afterall, if they leave out less important details it just leaves people wanting more. They can read the books to see that stuff.

Maybe there'll be DVD extras, too. :3

Archived