BWB Norcal IV + I =5

Ah - I don't think I can make it on the 26th either. Participating in a dodge ball game at the house of air. Still not sure if that was a smart move on my part...

I'm around this coming Friday, if others are up for doing something then?

I think we might could do something this week, Fri or sat.

Hm - so the weather looks like it's going to be rainy on Friday...does this matter to anyone? Sat looks like it will be relatively dry though.

Is anyone else up for meeting Fri/Sat night?

Or if the day time works better, I just found out that Yankee Pier in Larkspur has $1 Hog Island oysters and $2 Pilsner beers every Sat & Sun from 3-5pm :)

http://www.yankeepier.com/larkspur/index.html

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but one day, we (the Norcal BWB) should have a potluck dinner party, and everyone bring a matching bottle of wine, and we can do taste tests of what wine goes with what...

just did a quick fly by of the bev mo website. in that price range, you should be on safe ground with any of the BV coastal or the Berringer wines. Mondavi/woodbridge isn't bad either.

It might have been easier if you asked for excellent values in the $40 range. :cheers:

If you want to shop in the east bay, My old roommate runs a wine shop in Oakland <G>

Boiled Leather/Bronn...any suggestions on decent bottles of wine for $10 or under? :blush:

I am a big fan of Cameron Hughes stuff at Costco. Usually those come in at those price points. Cameron is a what the French call a 'negociant'. What he really is is a pawn shop for wine. If a winery finds itself in a bind and needing cash, rather than dumping their fairly-good stuff to bulk producers (ie Two Buck Chuck, or those 1.5 liter crap bottles you see in Supermarkets), Cameron will buy it at any stage in the process - fruit, barrels or bottles. He'll bottle it (or slap a label if already bottled) and sell it at Costco cheap. The wineries like it because they get quick cash AND he WON'T say whose stuff it is and they don't cannibalize their own business and brands. I like it because you get what would be $20 bottles for ten. Or sometimes $30 for twelve or thirteen. Any time I see a new one, I buy it and take it home THAT DAY and drink it. Because it if is really good, it won't be there a week later. You can sometimes see Cameron Hughes at Cost Plus.

In a pinch, I'd second BL's recommendations. But my taste test showed the Trader Joe's coastal beat both Mondavi and BV. And those are four bucks (BL - they're made from Central Coast fruit by Castoro). I especially enjoy the Trader Joe's Coastal Syrah. There is nothing wrong with that wine and it is four bucks. I also like the Viñas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc if you want a crispy dry white for $3. If you like Chardonnay, the TJ's Coastal Chardonnay is also $4 and much better than the $3 Chilean one. Extended bouts of unemployment give a man a chance to become a connoisseur of such things.

I am a big fan of Cameron Hughes stuff at Costco. Usually those come in at those price points. Cameron is a what the French call a 'negociant'. What he really is is a pawn shop for wine. If a winery finds itself in a bind and needing cash, rather than dumping their fairly-good stuff to bulk producers (ie Two Buck Chuck, or those 1.5 liter crap bottles you see in Supermarkets), Cameron will buy it at any stage in the process - fruit, barrels or bottles. He'll bottle it (or slap a label if already bottled) and sell it at Costco cheap. The wineries like it because they get quick cash AND he WON'T say whose stuff it is and they don't cannibalize their own business and brands. I like it because you get what would be $20 bottles for ten. Or sometimes $30 for twelve or thirteen. Any time I see a new one, I buy it and take it home THAT DAY and drink it. Because it if is really good, it won't be there a week later. You can sometimes see Cameron Hughes at Cost Plus.

In a pinch, I'd second BL's recommendations. But my taste test showed the Trader Joe's coastal beat both Mondavi and BV. And those are four bucks (BL - they're made from Central Coast fruit by Castoro). I especially enjoy the Trader Joe's Coastal Syrah. There is nothing wrong with that wine and it is four bucks. I also like the Viñas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc if you want a crispy dry white for $3. If you like Chardonnay, the TJ's Coastal Chardonnay is also $4 and much better than the $3 Chilean one. Extended bouts of unemployment give a man a chance to become a connoisseur of such things.

I'd go with what he said. We both know I haven't tried any of them. lol

btw, schmuck. I Pulled out the magnum of 94 duckhorn for you and then you didn't show. :tantrum:

I especially enjoy the Trader Joe's Coastal Syrah. There is nothing wrong with that wine and it is four bucks. I also like the Viñas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc if you want a crispy dry white for $3.

So I took your list of recs to Trader Joe's, and while I couldn't find the Coastal Syrah, I did find the Coastal Petite Syrah. Very drinkable - my first experience with a decent bottle of wine for under $10! I also grabbed a bottle of the Viñas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc, which I'm looking forward to trying later this weekend :)

Thanks again for the recommendations!

So I took your list of recs to Trader Joe's, and while I couldn't find the Coastal Syrah, I did find the Coastal Petite Syrah. Very drinkable - my first experience with a decent bottle of wine for under $10! I also grabbed a bottle of the Viñas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc, which I'm looking forward to trying later this weekend :)

Thanks again for the recommendations!

you should check yesterday's chron (sfgate.com), there was an article on "great" (?) values under $20. It wasn't on line yesterday, which means they'll probably post it tomorrow.

you should check yesterday's chron (sfgate.com), there was an article on "great" (?) values under $20. It wasn't on line yesterday, which means they'll probably post it tomorrow.

Thanks boiled leather - I found the article : http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/27/FDOU1HSA9F.DTL

Of the list, I've only tried one of them, the Gruet Rose, which I think is great, although it promises a rough hangover the next day ;)

Some of these call out to me more than others - I'm especially interested in trying the Evesham Wood Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. I went wine-tasting in Oregon, and it was so awesome. Highly recommend going if you haven't been. (There's also a place in Portland that has incredible pastrami, I think it was called Kenny & Zukes)

I'm not really into Riesling, but just the name alone makes me want to try this one : Leitz Dragonstone Rheingau QbA Riesling ^_^

Thanks boiled leather - I found the article : http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/27/FDOU1HSA9F.DTL

Of the list, I've only tried one of them, the Gruet Rose, which I think is great, although it promises a rough hangover the next day ;)

Some of these call out to me more than others - I'm especially interested in trying the Evesham Wood Willamette Valley Pinot Noir. I went wine-tasting in Oregon, and it was so awesome. Highly recommend going if you can. (There's also a place in Portland that has incredible pastrami, I think it was called Kenny & Zukes)

I'm also not really into Riesling, but just the name alone makes me want to try this one : Leitz Dragonstone Rheingau QbA Riesling ^_^

2 thoughts.

1. just got a note that Kenny and zukes now ships their pastrami. I'm a bit hesitant on that.

2. some rieslings are sweet. you can keep that one. some are a bit dry and I like those.

1. just got a note that Kenny and zukes now ships their pastrami. I'm a bit hesitant on that.

Kenny n Zukes ships! Hmm, I'm a little hesitant too, not sure how it will taste after being mailed, but it's a risk I think I'm willing to take. Although 2 pounds is kind of a lot. I hope it comes with instructions. Maybe we should have a pastrami party...

Speaking of parties...anyone else interested in a GOT premiere party?

I could be talked into it. the downside is its on a Sunday and there is that whole going to work thing on mondays. Granted I have a satellite so I get the east coast feed, but I'm not volunteering my house as we all know, I'm not in charge. she is. word. :bowdown:

I'm keeping the premiere date open. I figure something will happen between now and then.

That list is pretty thin on the California-style wines I love. And there are plenty under $20 that merit consideration.

Especially Chimney Rock Rose (winery only, alas, but it is at the foot of Silverado trail any time you are making a trip that way) $18 and the Louis Martini Sonoma Cab (around $14).

One recent time BevMo did their 5¢ sale, one of the treats was a Willamette Valley Winery Pinot for $30/2 bottles. Quite a treat.

Glad you liked the Petite. I've had it, not bad. But the Syrah is better.

I tried another of the wines you listed, the Viñas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc. In a word, delightful! Will definitely be buying more.

Heading up to Healdsburg later this month. Will try to make a stop over at the Chimney Rock or Louis Martini - your suggestions have been wonderful so far :)

Was also wondering if anyone was free to meet up at the end of the month, or first weekend of April? I've been hearing a lot about this underground food movement, that sounds interesting: http://foragesf.com/market/

lots of recs for healdsburg. I have a friend that works at Williamsonon the square. if you are going, let me know and I can drop her a note.

I would be up for underground food.

and the redwoman is singing in an "Opera Scenes" program at Holy Names (its not a religious show -- and I'm jewish <g>) on 4/9 if anyone wants to hear my Diva sing.

Archived