BWB Norcal IV + I =5

I tried another of the wines you listed, the Viñas Chilenas Sauvignon Blanc. In a word, delightful! Will definitely be buying more.

Heading up to Healdsburg later this month. Will try to make a stop over at the Chimney Rock or Louis Martini - your suggestions have been wonderful so far :)

Was also wondering if anyone was free to meet up at the end of the month, or first weekend of April? I've been hearing a lot about this underground food movement, that sounds interesting: http://foragesf.com/market/

Both Martini and Chimney Rock's tasting rooms are in Napa. Those will have to wait for another trip unless you are taking a very circuitous route. I'll look around my maps and give some suggestions. Glad you liked the VCSB. One of my favorites. And it is three freakin' dollars.

I would very much appreciate recs for the Healdsburg area! And thanks so much boiled leather - we are staying very close to the square, and Williamson sounds great, with top reviews :) Will be taking some visiting family there on 3/20 & 3/21.

(on a side note, does anyone ever wonder what Arbor Gold or Dornish wine tastes like?? I wonder what kind of grapes they have in Westeros...)

Would love to hear your redwoman sing! Unfortunately I'll be traveling then, but would be interested in future shows.

Is anyone else free the weekend of 3/26?

...all this talk of wine is making me thirsty...

(on a side note, does anyone ever wonder what Arbor Gold or Dornish wine tastes like?? I wonder what kind of grapes they have in Westeros...)

I know of one crackpot who put together a reasonably detailed analysis of climate and geography of the Seven Kingdoms that concluded that the best place to grow Bordeaux and Burgundy style grapes would be the gentle sloping walls of the Vale of Arryn. That person also suggested that island climates are unlikely to produce high quality wines from those grapes. He sent that report to GRRM who responded to it several years later at a Con party with the observation that medieval and older societies valued sweeter wines (and sweeter everything - sugary treats were much harder to come by) much more so than modern jaded audiences. I would bet that the closest approximation you could find in modern wines would be the semi-sweet reds and whites of the former Soviet Republic of Georgia (good selection available at New World Market near 20th and Geary in SF).

One of the treats of attending a BwB party at a Worldcon is the opportunity for first-timers to complete a quest chosen by George and be dubbed into an order of knighthood (each Worldcon creates a new order). A knight attending his/her third Worldcon gets raised to the style of Lord. In honor of the above-mentioned analysis and discussion, at LACon in 2007 the aforementioned crank was dubbed "Lord Bronn Stone, Master of the Cellars" by GRRM.

Oh wow - that is too cool! I was wondering how some people in the forum had such interesting titles. Really looking forward to this worldcon - will be my first, and just the thought of meeting George makes me nervous. I'm worried that everything I planned to say will go out the window, and I'll just sputter and stare at him with a stupid plastered grin on my face.

But going back to the wine...I was surprised that I wasn't able to find a thread on this, although I only checked the first 5/6 pages of the search results. That's interesting about the sugary/sweeter wines...but would that be the case for Dorne too? I got the feeling that Dornish cuisine was much spicier, and more...flavorful? Do you think that would extend to the wines as well?

That's interesting about the sugary/sweeter wines...but would that be the case for Dorne too? I got the feeling that Dornish cuisine was much spicier, and more...flavorful? Do you think that would extend to the wines as well?

George is very good at putting people at ease. He's completely down to Earth.

I'd say yes about Dornish wines as well. Of course, we could just ask him.

Yes, can't wait to meet George in Reno :)

Well - if anyone is around for meeting up the last weekend of March, or the first weekend of April - let me know, and I can try to put something together!

Yes, can't wait to meet George in Reno :)

Well - if anyone is around for meeting up the last weekend of March, or the first weekend of April - let me know, and I can try to put something together!

Getting anyone in this group to "really" commit is like pulling teeth, Nim. I think I'm available, but we all know theRedwoman makes all the real decisions in my household.

Ah ok - well at the very least maybe I'll meet some of you guys in Reno :)

Till then, guess will wait and see if anyone else shows interest in meeting at the end of the month or beginning of april...

I will probably attend any local gathering with sufficient notice. But probably not commit early enough to give anyone else sufficient notice. Rotten of me? Yes. But it is the truth.

If it's any added incentive - I will buy a round for you and boiled leather in return for all the $$ I've saved on wine recently :)

I'm new to this group, but would it be too forward of me to just start PMing other norcal members that I've never chatted with before? (I'm fairly new to online forums in general, not sure if there is an etiquette for this...)

In other news, was thinking I could host a premiere party at my office in Sausalito - we've got a projector, if people are into watching it that way (we have a regular tv too of course). And an outdoor patio. With a firepit. And a heat lamp. And pretty christmas lights.

If it's any added incentive - I will buy a round for you and boiled leather in return for all the $$ I've saved on wine recently :)

I'm new to this group, but would it be too forward of me to just start PMing other norcal members that I've never chatted with before? (I'm fairly new to online forums in general, not sure if there is an etiquette for this...)

In other news, was thinking I could host a premiere party at my office in Sausalito - we've got a projector, if people are into watching it that way (we have a regular tv too of course). And an outdoor patio. With a firepit. And a heat lamp. And pretty christmas lights.

it wouldn't be too forward. We could host too. 50" tv. HUGE couch and room and.... an East Coast feed. But the Redwoman would want it over by 9 (as its a school night) which means we'll get the feed at 5 or 6. and yes there is DVR and (mostly) surround. and a bar <G>

Oh wow - 50" tops the one at my work by a good 18". Either way sounds good to me - at least we've got some options! :) I've also been meaning to check in with some bars around town to see if they show HBO shows. I'll also check about the East Coast feed.

lots of recs for healdsburg. I have a friend that works at Williamsonon the square. if you are going, let me know and I can drop her a note.

Just came back from the tasting at Williamson in the square - incredible! We were served by a young 20-something-ish woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, but didn't ask about you, as I wasn't sure how asking "do you know boiled leather" would go over with her :)

Regardless, ended up buying 2 bottles from there - will be enjoying them in Tomales Bay tomorrow while shucking Hog Island osysters.

it wouldn't be too forward. We could host too. 50" tv. HUGE couch and room and.... an East Coast feed. But the Redwoman would want it over by 9 (as its a school night) which means we'll get the feed at 5 or 6. and yes there is DVR and (mostly) surround. and a bar <G>

The Red Woman's conditions are reasonable. And she must be obeyed even if they were not. I'd love to come if this happens. And I could pick people up - especially if they wanted to take BART part of the way.

Just came back from the tasting at Williamson in the square - incredible! We were served by a young 20-something-ish woman with blonde hair and blue eyes, but didn't ask about you, as I wasn't sure how asking "do you know boiled leather" would go over with her :)

Regardless, ended up buying 2 bottles from there - will be enjoying them in Tomales Bay tomorrow while shucking Hog Island osysters.

for future reference, My name is Lee. and my friend Jen is a pretty blonde. When you are going places, let me know and I'll let you know where my name still means something. <G>

The Red Woman's conditions are reasonable. And she must be obeyed even if they were not. I'd love to come if this happens. And I could pick people up - especially if they wanted to take BART part of the way.

If we are going to do this. which we can, we just need to lay it out in advance, as the redwoman doesn't like surprises. she like plans. and she knows this is floating out there.

Edit: ok, its on. We know Bronn will and won't commit. what say the rest of you?

If we are going to do this. which we can, we just need to lay it out in advance, as the redwoman doesn't like surprises. she like plans. and she knows this is floating out there.

Edit: ok, its on. We know Bronn will and won't commit. what say the rest of you?

This sounds great - I am definitely in. Please let me know what I can bring!

Archived