Is Tyrion a Rapist?

MyDogIsNamedDanerys

Tyrion: I want you to sleep with me, but also, I want you to lie to me and pretend that you love me. And if you do these things I'll give you all the wealth you can imagine, and I'll treat you as well as I would my wife.

Shae: Sounds good.

(later...)

Tyrion: (upon seeing Shae in Tywin's bed) "YOU WHORE! HOW DARE YOU LIE TO ME! I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME!!!" *strangle*

Plus she f*cked Tywin afterwards. It is obvious that she did, since Tyrion found her in his father's bed. To suggest that the situation was anything otherwise is just ridiculous.

I really don't get why this is continually being used as a condemnation of Shae. She is a prostitute. She goes with who pays her, and Tyrion hadn't been paying for a long time. If Shae had been a girlfriend, wife, or a lover, then it would have been reprehensible. But she was none of those things, she was a prostitute selling a service. When one reduces sex to a monetary service, one doesn't get to command loyalty. Now, TYWIN was an utter ass for screwing her because he is Tyrion's father - he has certain obligations to Tyrion. But Shae has none beyond providing the service for which he pays her and holding to the agreement they settled on - which I believe involved not offering her services elsewhere as long as she was on his payroll.

As for Tywin, I notice a lot of posters commenting that Tywin is known for "hating" whores. I don't think that is the case. He is contemptuous of Tyrion and his interactions with whores, which stems from Tyrion marrying one (which is what he considered and made Tysha). He despised his father's mistress, which is really not all that uncommon, and took particular issue to her wearing his mother's baubles. He banned Tyrion from patronizing whores after he discovered that Tyrion threatened to rape his eight year old nephew to protect one. But he is most likely the Hand responsible for the discreet entrance to Chataya's, and I don't believe he has any problem with whores as long as they stay within what he considers to be their place.

Question: Is Tyrion a Rapist?

Short answer: No.

Oh yes he is! Just because there are mitigating factors does not change the definition of the action. Just as his killing of Tywin was murder even though we all think the bastard had it coming.

Long answer:

First off, let's think about this from a Westeros point of view. In Westeros, there is no such thing as spousal rape

Isn't there? I don't think we are exposed to the finer points of Westeros sexual assault law. Frankly, it could be summarized as "there is no such thing as noble-on-commoner rape" - nobles literally seem to have no limits in what they can do to the smallfolk. So their legal code is not important here, because it absolutely was not illegal, because of their twisted class system. However, just because the rape was legal, doesn't mean it wasn't rape.

Also she was paid as a whore is paid, so Tyrion at the time would not think of it as rape

And yet he clearly *did* think of it as rape - it was a horrible violation that is one of his most painful memories.

Tysha was raped by Tywin's men, there is no question about that whatsoever. Tysha did not give willing consent to having sex of her own volition, and Tyrion did not give willing consent to having sex of his own volition. Neither party sought to take advantage of the other sexually, so from a modern-day POV this is not rape.

Actually, from a modern day point of view it is unequivocally rape. "Advantage" is not a factor in most legal codes (except statutory rape which is not relevant here) - just whether intercourse was forced or consensual. It is clear from Tyrion's anecdote that it was forced.

Another note: If Tyrion was open to raping girls/women he would have bedded Sansa when he was told. Despite the necessity of the action (from the Lannister point of view) he did not because the idea truly bothered him. He knew Sansa was repulsed by him and he did not have any interest in taking her by force.

Rapists are not neccesarily rapists in every conceivable situation. One important reason Tyrion did not force Sansa is his trauma from what he did to Tysha. However his repentance does not un-rape Tysha.

Edit: In the case of Tyrion and Tysha, I guess it would be classified as forced sex perpetrated by Tywin.

That makes sense. Both were raped, essentially.

I don't know if Shae was a whore after Game of Thrones.

If anything she became Tyrion's mistress, since she wasn't advertising and selling her 'wares' to anybody else at this time.

I will admit that it was truly sick on Tywin's part that he ends up sleeping with Shae - but it was still creepy and disloyal of her to do so - unless all the blame lies with Tywin and he instigated the whole affair. Which is possible.

Tyrion should have sent her somewhere safe and seen to her financial needs after Clash of Kings. This is one of the most obvious mistakes he makes in the series.

I'm surprised this issue has turned into such a big debate. I'm a law student so perhaps I have a less nuanced view of things when something is so clear cut in a legal sense but I still have a hard time comprehending how Tyrion is not both a rapist and murderer. In the case of the incident with Tysha, the only possible mitigation is Tyrion's age but even this argument has serious flaws because clearly adulthood is reached much earlier in Westeros than what is normally considered adulthood in today's world (especially in America). A creative attorney might possibly argue that the killing of Shae was accompanied by a momentary loss of reason, and that it occurred in the "heat of passion," while Tywin's demise I guess could be pinned on provocation, but we're still at the level of involuntary manslaughter. And I'm not sure I buy those arguments myself, especially in Tywin's case; I really didn't get the sense that Tyrion literally lost his mental faculties when he committed those acts.

Now, as to Shae and her culpability, you certainly can't argue that she acted honorable in 'betraying' Tyrion but acting so at the time would have likely resulted in her death or something equally undesirable. With that in mind, I'm of the opinion that of all of Tyrion's acts, killing Shae is the worst. For someone who prides himself in sympathizing with those disadvantaged through no fault of their own, it was also quite hypocritical. Still, he has a long way to catch either Jaime or Cersei for sheer wickedness, so he remains the least evil child of Tywin Lannister, which I guess is like winning an ass kicking contest when you're the only participant with two legs.

This.

I also don't understand why people are always bringing up how "Tyrion's only a teenager." Yeah, I get it; he's not an adult by any means, but by 12/13, you're fully aware of what you're doing. More importantly, Tysha was also around the same age that he was; if I recall correctly, she was 13/14. While I also pity and sympathize with Tyrion for the traumatizing experience he went through, his experience is incomparable to that of a young, vulnerable 13 year old girl being gang-raped, the final time by her husband that she wed in good faith.

I feel like most people are approaching these questions from three sharply differing moral/ethical/legal standpoints; that of Westeros, that of today's world, and that of "the story"--the last being the kind of moral judgment system when we all cheer when the villains get what's coming to them, regardless of what may be ethical. Obviously, many, if not most, readers do approach reading fantasy stories from that perspective; I myself do as well. However, to argue actual points of morals and ethics from this standpoint is, IMO, counter-productive when judging Tyrion's actions as crimes of rape/homicide, etc.

On Tysha: Obviously, Tywin's the biggest villain, as he orchestrated this entire act, and while I'll agree that Tyrion most likely did not rape Tysha out of malice or lust, the fact is that rape is defined as non-consensual sex, both in Westeros and the modern world (keep in mind here that I'm using strictly Western codes of laws here, as I'm unfamiliar with those in Africa/the Middle East/parts of Asia). The fact that she was "paid" makes no difference. I believe that someone mentioned that Tyrion is also a victim in this scenario; I can certainly buy that, but it makes no difference in that Tyrion forced non-consensual sex onto Tysha. Of course, the moral value judgment of "the story" leans it towards Tyrion's favor, inducing readers to feel that he has been wronged by Tywin--which he has--but it doesn't change the fact that 1) he raped Tysha, and 2) I feel a hell of a lot sorrier for Tysha than Tyrion, whose physical, mental, and emotional abuse completely eclipses that of Tyrion's.

On Shae/Bronn: I feel that a lot of ingrained cultural prejudices are coming out to the fore; I remember that when I first read ASoS I was shocked at Shae's "betrayal," but not at Bronn's, most likely for the subconscious prejudice against whores/prostitutes that Western society instilled in me (keep in mind I was fifteen at the time, so don't judge me :(). As someone pointed out, there's very little difference between Shae and Bronn and their mercenary values; one sells sex, the other sells his sword. Yet both in Westeros and in the real world, there is an automatic instinct to ostracize those who sell sex for money.

There's two ways to interpret both Bronn's and Shae's actions: they were motivated either by gold or fear of death. When Bronn refuses to champion Tyrion, some readers argue that it's because Tywin/Cersei have provided him with better opportunities than Tyrion is likely to be able to provide (the two people who rule the realm vs. a man dependent entirely on his father/sister's rule to obtain positions of power); others state that it's because Bronn has no moral, social, or legal obligation to die for the man who pays him. When Shae testifies against Tyrion, even considering that she twists many of their intimate interactions to humiliate him, we are again presented with the same two options; Tywin/Cersei bribed her with gold, or they threatened to humiliate/kill/torture her.

Yet few castigate Bronn for his mercenary tendencies, because he's a sellsword: by "the story's" moral standards, this is to be expected, and not branded as "what a golddigging whore." Shae, on the other hand, is "only" a whore: by "the story's" moral standards, she is not a sympathetic character, nor by Westeros society, nor even by our own. Is it surprising then that Shae is condemned as a "horrible person" more than Bronn? True, Shae's humiliation of Tyrion was a cruel thing, but we don't know why she did so, as the only POV we're offered is that of the admittedly biased Tyrion's. The only conclusion that seems logical, at least to my mind, is that both of them betrayed Tyrion. Whether or not the reasons are understandable/justifiable is something that each individual reader has to decide, but I do feel that if one judges Shae to be a conniving, backstabbing bitch, then one should also categorize Bronn as a conniving, backstabbing asshole.

On the murder of Tywin and Shae: As someone stated earlier in the thread, his actions are understandable; I certainly sympathize with him greatly. But are they justified? Not to my mind, though that's at least in part due to my own personal belief that none of us have the right to judge who "deserves" to die. I can agree with people being executed out of punishment for breaking the law, but not in any moral sense. (That being said, I cheered as loud as any of you did when Tyrion killed Tywin, because sympathetic vengeance in fantasy books is always fun to read about.)

Nonetheless, "He had it coming!" does not change the voluntary act of killing; it may change the judgment from murder into involuntary manslaughter (using Alleluia Cone's terms here, since I'm not a law student and have no idea what he's talking about :(), but it does not change the fact that Tyrion has committed homicide of one sort or another. The reasons, of course, do mitigate our judgment in a fictional story, making Tyrion's character/actions likable or sympathetic, but it doesn't change the fact that Tyrion willingly, knowingly killed in an action that has nothing to do with self-defense.

There seem to be two prevalent arguments in favor of Tyrion killing Shae; one is "He had it coming," which is acceptable only from "the story's" moral standpoint, and the same statements on Tywin applies here as well. "He had to do it so that Shae wouldn't betray him" seems to be the second. Ignoring the option of leaving her alive (which, by the logic of "the story", is a huge risk to take, given that Shae had already testified against him--whether or not it was from "golddigging" or duress is immaterial in this case, because she most likely would again, regardless of what motivated her in the first place (money/fear, etc.) By the logic of "the story," he had to kill her. But it doesn't make it moral, ethical, or somehow not a murder (or at the least, a homicide).

I don't know if Shae was a whore after Game of Thrones.

If anything she became Tyrion's mistress, since she wasn't advertising and selling her 'wares' to anybody else at this time.

Then why did Tyrion keep thinking of her as a whore? Other women are called mistresses, why was that word never used to refer to Shae? She was selling her wares to Tyrion, was she not? She asked for back payments, did she not? She was totally a prostitute - one does not need to have multiple clients to be a prostitute.

I will admit that it was truly sick on Tywin's part that he ends up sleeping with Shae - but it was still creepy and disloyal of her to do so - unless all the blame lies with Tywin and he instigated the whole affair. Which is possible.
I just left a job - hopped shop to go work for a colleague of my former boss. Was that creepy and disloyal? Why is Shae obligated to be loyal to Tyrion but his other vendors (Bronn) are not?

Tyrion should have sent her somewhere safe and seen to her financial needs after Clash of Kings. This is one of the most obvious mistakes he makes in the series.

And on this point, we are in complete agreement. :)

The difference between Bronn and Shae is that Tyrion forgot that he was merely conducting a business transaction with Shae. He was paying her to lie to him - to pretend to love him, as part of the whole sex package. Tyrion's weak point is that he is too desperately hoping for love, and ends up seeing it even in people he knows not to trust. (How many times does he remind himself, over the course of two/three books, that Shae is only after his money? Apparently it never sunk in.)

I don't understand how people can aruge that Tyrion did not rape Tysha. He had nonconsensual sex with Tysha = he raped her. I understand there are mitigating factors - his age, the influence of his father, his hurt feelings - but that does not change the facts. I suspect many people here just happen to like Tyrion's character, and can't reconcile that with the thought that he is a rapist.

This.

I also don't understand why people are always bringing up how "Tyrion's only a teenager." Yeah, I get it; he's not an adult by any means, but by 12/13, you're fully aware of what you're doing. More importantly, Tysha was also around the same age that he was; if I recall correctly, she was 13/14. While I also pity and sympathize with Tyrion for the traumatizing experience he went through, his experience is incomparable to that of a young, vulnerable 13 year old girl being gang-raped, the final time by her husband that she wed in good faith.

....etc

Ira, I think you just won the thread with this detailed, nuanced analysis. :)

By the end of GOT I had come to believe that Tyrion and Tywin would come to a confrontation, and how convenient was it that the one issue that had deeply affected Tyrion throughout the rest of his life(we would come to learn) was being used as that platform? Tywin telling him "not to take the whore" and Tyrion doing it anyway. And when Tyrion is accused of murdering Joffrey, Tywin, more than Cersei more than likely, presented Shae to give her testimony last, and perhaps threatening her with bodily harm in order to humiliate Tyrion.(I don't think Tywin ever truly believed Tyrion killed Joffrey though. More than anything Tywin just wanted another public humiliation for his son to teach him a lesson, and then send him to the Wall, which he would not be able to return from since he couldn't petition the king, obviously, and Tywin would no longer have to worry about Tyrion being able to push forward his claim once he died.)

This scenario makes indeed sense. I'm not entirely sure how much of Tywin relative consideration towards Tyrion (i.e. giving him Winterfell, appointing him as substitute Hand and then master of coin) comes from (DEEPLY hidden) affection, or whether it's just him being realistic and knowing that his son is competent, in spite of the antagonism between them. So yeah, it might be Tywin really was serious about Tyrion taking the black - perhaps there was an element of superstition there, as condemning Tyrion to death would have essentially meant kinslaying, though through legal ways, and that seems like the biggest taboo in Westerosi culture. Of course I'm just speculating here.

What I meant by this LONG-ASS post is that the seeming similarity between Tywin and Tyrion is not just one of a similar personality, but also of how similar one horrible event can change someone. Tywin, a man raised by a weak lord who rose to be, arguably, the most qualified in running a stable and peaceful kingdom, was changed due to the death of his wife to include a quality of brutality into his grander scheme of things.

I'm not sure I agree with this snippet. The episode concerning Tytos' mistress occurred when Cersei was one year old, some years before Joanna died, and the extermination of House Reyne (of Rains of Castamere fame) occurred when Tytos was still alive. If anything, Tywin has always delivered retribution in a "the more, the better" fashion. It's hard to get an idea of the reputation of House Lannister under Tytos' rule, but it seems it really was kind of a joke. And Tywin grew up not tolerating the slightest for of disrespect - it's what triggers his most brutal reactions, imo. Sure, Joanna's death might have been the final blow to whatever trace of compassion was left in him, but I think that mostly reflected on his children. He was already a hardened, ruthless man, and I don't think it depends on one single trauma but more on the consistent feeling of shame and wounded pride on Tytos' behalf.

Damn, now I'm finding myself wishing we had at least one Tywin POV :) As this thread proves, he was a terrible person, but a compellingly written one. I'd love to take a peek at his inner thoughts.

Then why did Tyrion keep thinking of her as a whore? Other women are called mistresses, why was that word never used to refer to Shae? She was selling her wares to Tyrion, was she not? She asked for back payments, did she not? She was totally a prostitute - one does not need to have multiple clients to be a prostitute.

I don't view it like this at all.

Whenever Tyrion really monologued about her being his whore, it was more of a curse directed at himself for having feelings for her.

I think you are oversimplifying their relationship - which certainly had a emotional component to it, instead of being as you seem to infer it - a sort of soulless material transaction between the two.

You talk about how there is a similarity between Bronn and Shae - and perhaps there is. But

as much as Bronn indicates otherwise, he did develop a sort of loyalty to Tyrion which he never betrays.

Shae does indeed betray this human bond between them. Which is why she is guilty in my mind of treachery.

I also think Tyrion is guilty of being a fool and of being a judge of bad character.

He shouldn't have put as much trust in her as he did - so of course some of the fault lies with him.

: )

This discussion is kinda fun. Even though this issue has been talked to hell and back on this forum over the years.

Ira, I think you just won the thread with this detailed, nuanced analysis

Agreed. That was pretty awesome.

Speaking of something completely different, I find it interesting that it seems that Tyrion now wants to find Tysha. Why? So he can apologize? So they can get back together? I can't imagine her taking him back, nor would I want her to.

I've seen it bandied about that Tysha is the Sailor's Wife, but isn't it stated in the text that her husband was actually a sailor and is actually dead?

Also - people bring up the age of Tyrion during the Tysha incident because it is an important fact of the matter.

I think Tyrion is tarnished by the incident - he himself is scarred and guilty over it.

But the matter is of culpability - and the circumstances seem to be clear that a young Tyrion was coerced - perhaps forceful to do this action by his father.

Which is why I find the action disgusting - but I pity Tyrion more than I blame him for the incident.

Of course I am not saying Tyrion is the real Victim here.

Tysha certainly was.

I think you are oversimplifying their relationship - which certainly had a emotional component to it, instead of being as you seem to infer it - a sort of soulless material transaction between the two.

But when did he ever think of her as a lover or a girlfriend? I always felt like he got emotionally entangled with the good sex and the sexy woman moaning about how awesome he supposedly is in bed and making him feel like the MAN. When does he ever really think about her as a person? She says that she wants to help him and he reduces her down to the role of a whore by saying that she helps him best between the sheets. When it comes down to it, Tyrion wanted all the commitment of a girlfriend from her while giving her nothing that a girlfriend could expect. I'm not sure I would call it a "soulless material transaction," after all, I liked my last boss somewhat but I sure as hell was not interested in dying for her or in hanging around when I could get a better deal elsewhere. Likewise, I think Shae liked Tyrion somewhat but was not interested in dying for him or in turning down good business transactions out of some misguided sense of loyalty.

You talk about how there is a similarity between Bronn and Shae - and perhaps there is. But

as much as Bronn indicates otherwise, he did develop a sort of loyalty to Tyrion which he never betrays.

Really? He abandoned Tyrion to die in exchange for a castle and a lady wife. He hopped ship for a better deal. Shae, who had been placed in a far more vulnerable position than Bronn thanks to the selfishness of her employer, hopped ship to simply survive and then took on a new client.

Now, in Bronn's shoes I wouldn't have been very interested in fighting Gregor for Tyrion either in spite of the fact that he had far more reason than Shae to be loyal to Tyrion (after all, Tyrion was current on his account with Bronn). But in Shae's shoes, I would have said whatever the hell Cersei told me to say while silently damning Tyrion to the worst of the Seven Hells for putting me in that position to begin with. Then, since food is a very nice thing to have, I would have immediately begun to look for new work elsewhere - since unfortunately, she wasn't bought off with a castle and plenty of gold but with false promises of her possessions being returned and with keeping her life.

I also think the discussion is interesting. :)

EDIT: Marvelous post, Ira. Well said indeed.

Very interesting thread.

Shae and Bronn can not be compared though, in my opinion. Bronn was a sellsword, and in Tyrion's pay, in fact, Tyrion even told him that if a better offer came along, Tyrion would double it to keep Bronn's services. Bronn REFUSED Tyrion's offer, as was his right. He had a better deal, but, Bronn did NOT actively seek to harm Tyrion in the process.

On the other hand, Shae was paid for her services, and, part of the deal was that she not have sex with any other man. She broke her contract, there. While I understand that she was not in any way able to renegotiate or discuss it, Tyrion can not be blamed for thinking rather poorly of her. Also, UNLIKE Bronn, who merely went to greener pastures, Shae actively engaged in making Tyrion's situation WORSE with her lying testimony at his trial.

Bronn deed was by inaction; harm to Tyrion occurred but was not SOUGHT by Bronn in any active manner, in fact, Bronn was free to be a free agent; Shae's deed was an ACTIVE betrayal. Shae is FAR worse.

Tyrion as rapist? I don't see it, as one can not rape the willing. Tyrion's sincere belief at that time appeared to be that Tysha was a willing participant. So, no, I dont name that rape.

I still think the relationship was a bit deeper than that.

Quite a bit of the details were in the sex between the two - and there was a lot of that.

But I wouldn't call it empty. From Tyrion's point of view he wanted to make Shae into his proper mistress - and if it wasn't for his family breathing down his neck he would have done so. He even attempted to explain this - although Shae undoubtedly misunderstood.

He never really thought of her as "whore" - just as Shae - but he was insecure, and sometimes these thoughts about how much he diged her were echoed by his personal insecurities resulting from what happened with Tysha.

As far as Bronn goes - I really don't see their acts as being comparable.

As you say - they both move ship, but Bronn doesn't betray Tyrion in doing so. He merely leaves.

It is possible that Shae had no choices in what occurred to her - but I somehow doubt it.

As other people have said the whole giant of lannister bit was needlessly cruel.

And if she actively seduced Tywin Lannister in any way - I think it is fair to condemn her for it.

Very interesting thread.

Shae and Bronn can not be compared though, in my opinion. Bronn was a sellsword, and in Tyrion's pay, in fact, Tyrion even told him that if a better offer came along, Tyrion would double it to keep Bronn's services. Bronn REFUSED Tyrion's offer, as was his right. He had a better deal, but, Bronn did NOT actively seek to harm Tyrion in the process.

On the other hand, Shae was paid for her services, and, part of the deal was that she not have sex with any other man. She broke her contract, there. While I understand that she was not in any way able to renegotiate or discuss it, Tyrion can not be blamed for thinking rather poorly of her. Also, UNLIKE Bronn, who merely went to greener pastures, Shae actively engaged in making Tyrion's situation WORSE with her lying testimony at his trial.

Bronn deed was by inaction; harm to Tyrion occurred but was not SOUGHT by Bronn in any active manner, in fact, Bronn was free to be a free agent; Shae's deed was an ACTIVE betrayal. Shae is FAR worse.

Tyrion as rapist? I don't see it, as one can not rape the willing. Tyrion's sincere belief at that time appeared to be that Tysha was a willing participant. So, no, I dont name that rape.

perfectly executed analysis .

Thanks guys. :)

Also - people bring up the age of Tyrion during the Tysha incident because it is an important fact of the matter.

I think Tyrion is tarnished by the incident - he himself is scarred and guilty over it.

But the matter is of culpability - and the circumstances seem to be clear that a young Tyrion was coerced - perhaps forceful to do this action by his father.

Which is why I find the action disgusting - but I pity Tyrion more than I blame him for the incident.

Of course I am not saying Tyrion is the real Victim here.

Tysha certainly was.

I'm not denying that it's an important fact of the matter, but it seems to me (perhaps I'm misinterpreting other posters here, and if I am, I apologize) that many of the posts bringing this up do so in a fashion that attempts to exonerate Tyrion. I sympathize with and pity Tyrion; if it seemed that I was holding him responsible for the incident, that's not the case, as the blame for that lies solidly at Tywin's feet. What I am saying is that Tyrion raped Tysha, even if he himself was a secondary victim of Tywin's vicious cruelty.

That being said, of course each reader will decide exactly to what extent he was a secondary victim; did he rape Tysha because he felt humiliated, angry, frightened? You seem to be arguing that it's the last, or that at least he did so under duress. However, you also condemn Shae for betraying Tyrion; specifically, you stated that she "betray this human bond between them. Which is why she is guilty in my mind of treachery." Regardless of how we read the situation, we simply do not know why Shae chose to betray Tyrion, whether it was out of greed or out of fear; neither do we know what Tyrion felt when he raped Tysha.

Looking at only the bald facts of the matter, though, Tyrion participated in a far crueler form of sadism (even if it was orchestrated by Tywin) than Shae did to Tyrion (which was orchestrated by Cersei/Tywin). Tyrion was laughed at by the court and betrayed by a woman known to be a prostitute; Tysha was repeatedly gang-raped and also suffered the emotional betrayal of her husband (and the marriage, as far as we know, was a genuine love-match). If you're going to condemn Shae for betraying Tyrion, then it only makes sense (at least IMO) to condemn Tyrion for betraying Tysha, if you're looking at it from a moral/ethical point of view. If you're regarding the situation from the moral standpoint of "the story," though, Tyrion is the more obviously sympathetic character since we know so much more about him.

I completely disagree with this.

Tyrion wouldn't feel guilty about the incident if it were willing.

And the description and language of the scene make it clear that it wasn't a willing exercise.

I don't blame Tyrion for the incident, but it is clearly an instance of gang rape.

On the other hand, Shae was paid for her services, and, part of the deal was that she not have sex with any other man. She broke her contract, there.

Shae's contract was this:

I am a Lannister. Gold I have in plenty, and you’ll find me generous... but I’ll want more from you than what you’ve got between your legs, though I’ll want that too. You’ll share my tent, pour my wine, laugh at my jests, rub the ache from my legs after each day’s ride... and whether I keep you a day or a year, for so long as we are together you will take no other men into your bed.

Tyrion wasn't "keeping" or supporting her anymore (more than that, he took the payment she already received away from her) and at that point, it probably didn't seem likely that he will be in position to do so ever again. Their relationship was over. I don't how you can blame her for breaking their agreement.

The principle of it might be true if it really were the case that Tyrion had no idea that Tysha was not a willing participant. But, having said that, it really stretches the imagination to think he could be so utterly blind because it really makes no sense when we look at the situation in whole. Either Tysha was unconscious at the time or clearly terrified out of her wits and either screaming her head off, crying, or emotionally comatose; how Tyrion could not have taken this situation for what it was is a little unbelievable if you ask me.

Archived