Is Tyrion a Rapist?

MyDogIsNamedDanerys

HBO had a documentary out recently called Sex Crimes Unit. Very interesting, you should watch it. Anyway, one of the attorneys in a profiled rape case claimed that the reason the woman didn't scream is because she was enjoying it (the rapist had a gun to the back of her head throughout).

I actually do work with victim's services where I go out to crime scenes and take rape victims to the hospital, be there for them when the policy officers take their statement and such. I've actually had to stop a couple months ago due to other obligations, but I still donate money to the victim's fund. I also helped with child abuse cases, and domestic violence. I know rape when I see it; however, what we consider rape may not be what Westeros considers rape. I am trying to reconcile the differences of our societies. I think I know what rape is, I also know what abuse of power is... and I also know that some women make use of sex to try to get positions and such.

Not at all. I believe the right to the first night means that an overlord is entitled to require his vassal's bride to have sex with him on her wedding night whether she wants to or not. That is rape.

I'm just thinking that Medieval Housefly might be thinking that it's the second scenario.

Not at all. I believe the right to the first night means that an overlord is entitled to require his vassal's bride to have sex with him on her wedding night whether she wants to or not. That is rape.

I'm just thinking that Medieval Housefly might be thinking that it's the second scenario.

There is no second scenario. A woman required to have sex with a man is a case of out and out rape.

To clarify my scenario, people are sexual beings, even virgins are. Some women may have looked forward to First Night for whatever reason. Imagine if things had gone differently and Cersei was to be married but Rhaegar was able to claim First Night, do you think she would have been devastated?

Also, when I say it may not have been rape by Westeros standards I'm saying that although she may not have wanted it if it was sanctioned by Westeros's standards at the time it is not rape according to their laws. Almost nothing I'm saying applies to the laws here because I'm trying to answer a question posed in a different land with different laws.

Archived