A Thread for Small Questions VI

Lady Blackfish

how in thousands of years of breeding with one another and with the succession laws of westros now great house took control of 2 kingdoms like in europe?

the king of the reach dies and the current lord aryn is a second cousin and heir and takes control...how has that not happend in 8,000 years? it happended in similar conditioned europe so many times

It might have been unusual for Great Houses to marry each other until recently? Maybe in imitation to the the Targaryens marrying the Martells?

Probably. She want to revenge her people and that was ideal opportunity to kill him. She don't cared about punishment.

When Khal would died, nobody would want to investigate his death. They would turn in battle for leader, like animals.

Would she be killed by his bloodriders, if they were honor, before they kill each other? Probably, but "look at your Khal and you will know what life is worth when all the others is gone"

Really? I always believed that maegi was really trying to save Drogo (she warned Dany about the pain of the healing, what he must not do an so on) and that he himself was guilty of what happened to his wound after he tore off the bandages.

Really? I always believed that maegi was really trying to save Drogo (she warned Dany about the pain of the healing, what he must not do an so on) and that he himself was guilty of what happened to his wound after he tore off the bandages.

MMD was smart woman. She knows costumes of Dotharki. She probably knew that you can't tell Khal "you mustn't". She tell him that he can't tore bandages and he can't drink milk (??).

Anyway, I admit it's just speculation.

how in thousands of years of breeding with one another and with the succession laws of westros now great house took control of 2 kingdoms like in europe?

the king of the reach dies and the current lord aryn is a second cousin and heir and takes control...how has that not happend in 8,000 years? it happended in similar conditioned europe so many times

I believe GRRM has implied that Westerosi history as kept by the Citadel may be inaccurate.

Who says that it's never happened? It's happened a lot. The Bolton lands and the "Marsh Kingdom" were both independent for a long time before they were absorbed by the Starks. In other cases, like the Ironborn conquest of the riverlands, it lasted for a few generations and then came to an end. Granted, I'm not sure if we're told about a kingdom that was absorbed into another by marriage specifically, but I wouldn't assume that it's never happened in eight thousand years.

In more recent times, there presumably was some interest by the Targaryens in preventing one lord from gaining control over multiple domains at once and potentially rivaling the throne for power. And GRRM indicates that the laws of succession disfavor combining two separate lordships, so that in your example, the traditional result, if Lord Arryn could successfully make his claim to Highgarden, would involve the elder son getting the Eyrie and the younger son getting the Reach.

Do you remember when someone stated that Tommen would get Westerlands and Stormlands? I think it was when he sign some papers, but I am not sure.

I believe she may have warned him about the pain and told not to take the bandages off so that he would leave the bandages on longer, giving the poison longer to start an infection. That's what I read into it anyways.

In real life, if someone has a gaping wound in his chest and you want him to get an infection and die, you don't need to put a poisoned bandage on it; that's what will happen by default. On the other hand, if you want to treat the infection and heal the wound, you're going to need to keep it covered and it's going to itch like hell while it's healing. It's also a good idea to avoid drinking tons of alcohol, which was one of MMD's other instructions that Drogo ignored.

GRRM hasn't given us any reason to believe that these things work totally differently in the world of ASOIAF, so I think you're reading too much into this.

Do you remember when someone stated that Tommen would get Westerlands and Stormlands? I think it was when he sign some papers, but I am not sure.

It's only natural that when great lords exclusively marry other great lords, lands will be consolidated (assuming no laws specifically put in place to avoid this). Princess Arianne of Dorne was the one who said this to Arys Oakheart, pointing out that if Myrcella takes the throne Tommen will be able to content himself with being the ruler of the Westerlands (being Cersei's son) and the Stormlands (being Robert's son). Hell, if his marriage to Margaery stays, he might even scoop up the Reach as well. Of course, in Westeros they might decide to fix the problem by giving Myrcella the power to dispose of the Westerlands. Or Tommen can divided up his lands among his children. I don't know if there are any rules that prevent unorthodox solutions like that.

It's only natural that when great lords exclusively marry other great lords, lands will be consolidated (assuming no laws specifically put in place to avoid this). Princess Arianne of Dorne was the one who said this to Arys Oakheart, pointing out that if Myrcella takes the throne Tommen will be able to content himself with being the ruler of the Westerlands (being Cersei's son) and the Stormlands (being Robert's son). Hell, if his marriage to Margaery stays, he might even scoop up the Reach as well. Of course, in Westeros they might decide to fix the problem by giving Myrcella the power to dispose of the Westerlands. Or Tommen can divided up his lands among his children. I don't know if there are any rules that prevent unorthodox solutions like that.

the westerlands lordship is complex by all laws tyrion is the heir

and tommen is the king so he probably won't pass to him. myrcella is the heir in this case.

storm's end was given to renly, renly has no heirs so it passes to stannis along with the stormlands?

the westerlands lordship is complex by all laws tyrion is the heir

and tommen is the king so he probably won't pass to him. myrcella is the heir in this case.

That's true, but Tyrion is attainted so he can't have it, and under Arianne's scenario Myrcella would be the Queen. Her argument was that Arys should not feel sorry for Tommen getting dethroned (under her plan in the 4th book) because Tommen will be ruler of the Stormlands and the West through his father and mother, respectively.

Do you think he'll keep them both? I mean, if tommen gets both the West and the Stormlands, will his heir get them both too? Or will tommen pass, for istance, the west to his first son and the stormlands to the second? I think that's more likely. A "common" lord cannot have too much (littlefinger is littlefinger, he's different ;D)

I was always under the impression that after Tywin`s death, Kevan was the ruler of Westerlands, althrough it was him who told Cersei to go to Casterly Rock since she is now the Lady of the Rock.

Edit: Who is the heir to the throne after Myrcella?

The current succession should be:

King Tommen

Myrcella

Stannis

Shirreen (sp?)

GH

I was always under the impression that after Tywin`s death, Kevan was the ruler of Westerlands, althrough it was him who told Cersei to go to Casterly Rock since she is now the Lady of the Rock.

I don't think they make that distinction. The lord or lady of Casterly Rock is the ruler of the West, at least by title.

Archived