A Thread for Small Questions VI

Lady Blackfish

But still there are not so many people that actually CARE about that. Stannis sent the letters in CoK and yet, Tommen is the king at the end of FfC...

As Renly pointed out legitimacy to the throne comes second to your ability to win it on the battlefield. Tommen's supporters have won so far.

The reality is that the throne will likely go to someone not currently considered in the succession, but the question asked was:

Who is the heir to the throne after Myrcella?

I believe that might be convoluted. Does Ran have an answer maybe? Or does only GRRM know?

Currently none of the characters we consider likely to sit the throne would be part of the accepted succession. In Westeros, I'm sure Littlefinger would have an answer, and the maesters also. :)

The reality is that the throne will likely go to someone not currently considered in the succession...

Does Ran have an answer maybe? Or does only GRRM know?

Currently none of the characters we consider likely to sit the throne would be part of the accepted succession. In Westeros, I'm sure Littlefinger would have an answer, and the maesters also. :)

Correct. Especially underlined part. Because the moment Lyanna and Dany loose the title queen none of holders, Robert, Viserys, Joffrey, Stannis...have stable claim to the Iron Throne.

If Lyanna was queen, then she will bear Robert's children. If Viserys was king (and Dany queen) claim to throne would be undoubtable (sp.). Although his govern would be short.

Well, if Myrcella marries and has any children, then the heir is her eldest son, or if there's no son then her eldest daughter. That's pretty clear.

If Myrcella dies with no trueborn children, then you have to go back up through the male line and see at each level who that guy's heir would be. Stannis's and Renly's families are no longer an option. Robert had no uncles or aunts as far as we know. Robert's father Steffon did have an uncle, Harbert, who was mentioned very briefly once, but I don't think we've ever been told any more about that branch of the family.

I don't think there's any way at all that it can go to the Lannister line (I mean other than through Tommen or Myrcella).

But a king or a queen can theoretically legitimize bastards, and there are still a few of Robert's around... (Edited to add: Although if Tommen legitimized, say, Edric, that wouldn't necessarily precede Myrcella's claim. See this earlier discussion.)

I think Melor the Monstruos (?) who was killed by Baristan the Brave on the Stepps is the last heir. Though it is possible there are some other heirs not mentioned...I can't wait for Golden company to finaly meet up with Deny =P.

I think Melor the Monstruos (?) who was killed by Baristan the Brave on the Stepps is the last heir. Though it is possible there are some other heirs not mentioned...I can't wait for Golden company to finaly meet up with Deny =P.

Maelys "the Monstrous" Blackfyre is descended from Daemon Blackfyre.

I don't think we have any info on children of Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers.

Who were those two guys Arya heard talking about murdering Eddard when she lost in King's Landing in AGOT?

Varys and Illyrio, as confirmed by GRRM himself.

-------

Why did the Rat cook cook the son of the Andal king in a meat pie?

All we're told, IIRC, is that it was revenge of some kind. Presumably it was revenge for a murdered loved one, perhaps a son, but I don't think that's spelled out anywhere.

What story does Viserys tell Dany about Rhaeger's death? Throughout GoT Dany mentions that Rhaeger 'died for the woman he loved.' Do they believe this to be Elia? If so, I fail to see what story they are told that features Rhaegar dying for Elia. If not, do they know about about Lyanna?

I don't think there is a definitive answer, but it doesn't make sense for Dany and Viserys to believe that the woman Rhaeger died for was Elia, and Dany never mentions her in her thoughts, it's always just the woman he loved.

Does she? I know that phrase is used during the House of the Undying, but I can't think of earlier instances in Dany chapters.

She uses it twice in GoT that I can think of. In Dany's first chapter: "Yet sometimes Dany would picture the way it had been, so often had her brother told her the stories. The mightnight flight to Dragonstone, moonlight shimmering on the ship's black sails. Her brother Rhaegar battling the Usurper in the bloody waters of the Trident and dying for the woman he loved."

And then in Dany's third to last chapter: "'Death?' Dany wrapped her arms around herself protectively, rocked back and forth on her heels. 'My death?' She told herself she would die for him, if she must. She was the blood of the dragon, she would not be afraid. Her brother Rhaegar had died for the woman he loved."

She uses it twice in GoT that I can think of. In Dany's first chapter: "Yet sometimes Dany would picture the way it had been, so often had her brother told her the stories. The mightnight flight to Dragonstone, moonlight shimmering on the ship's black sails. Her brother Rhaegar battling the Usurper in the bloody waters of the Trident and dying for the woman he loved."

And then in Dany's third to last chapter: "'Death?' Dany wrapped her arms around herself protectively, rocked back and forth on her heels. 'My death?' She told herself she would die for him, if she must. She was the blood of the dragon, she would not be afraid. Her brother Rhaegar had died for the woman he loved."

Ah, okay. Then I would think that Viserys had a romantic spin on Rhaegar running off with Lyanna, not that he was somehow under the impression that the war was for Elia. When Ser Barristan tells her about Rhaegar's victory at Harrenhal, Dany responds, "But that was the tourney when he crowned Lyanna Stark as queen of love and beauty! ... Princess Elia was there, his wife, and yet my brother gave the crown to the Stark girl, and later stole her away from her betrothed. How could he do that? Did the Dornish wife treat him so ill?"

Ah, okay. Then I would think that Viserys had a romantic spin on Rhaegar running off with Lyanna, not that he was somehow under the impression that the war was for Elia. When Ser Barristan tells her about Rhaegar's victory at Harrenhal, Dany responds, "But that was the tourney when he crowned Lyanna Stark as queen of love and beauty! ... Princess Elia was there, his wife, and yet my brother gave the crown to the Stark girl, and later stole her away from her betrothed. How could he do that? Did the Dornish wife treat him so ill?"

Okay. So I guess they really didn't know more than the fact that Rhaegar loved Lyanna. I was wondering if they knew more about their relationship than they were letting on. Something that would be beneficial when Dany meets Jon, but I guess not if she refers to Rhaegar's love in that manner.

Archived