Daniel Abraham's second thread

Werthead

I was just thinking about - Abraham is a total work horse. He has three books coming out this year and another three books next year. This year it's The Dragon's Path, Leviathan Wakes, and another book in his urban fantasy series written as HL Hanover (it amuses him to use a psuedonym intentionally shaped to imply he's female). And then the next books in those respective series come out about a year later.

Looking at his site and cant find the book tour stops. Are they posted somewhere? And if anyone knows where, can you link them?

He had a book tour of one stop. But he was very excited because it was the first time a publisher had paid for him to do something like this. In the past he's been to lots of conventions, but always on his own dime.

There is a blog post a couple of weeks old that talks about events he's doing. He'll be at Comicon in San Diego this summer (which makes good sense with him doing the ASOIF comic adaptation) and he'll be at a couple of New Mexico conventions. Sometime I need to travel out Bubicon in Alburquerque - with all the great writers in New Mexico showing up, it has a phenomenal guest list.

So I just read A Shadow in Summer.

Loved it. Not going to say much other than that the Galts seemed to be in an industrial revolution of sorts and, perhaps, them ultimately conquering the Khaiate could be a good thing on some level. That's just the vibe I get from it at times.

I'm probably really wrong and that shall be revealed in later books.

On my blog, I interviewed Abraham:

Many more topics covered in the interview, including a lot about The Dragon's Path, the comic book adaptation of aSoIaF, pseudonyms and female characters. Much thanks to Daniel for being such a gracious guest!

Aidan, thanks for the link. I've really enjoyed reading the interview.

Earlier, you mentioned Kindles and their ability to obscure what we're reading in public. Do you think something as simple as this could serve to expand the market for Fantasy and Science Fiction?

I think it will expand the market for guilty pleasures, yes. And not just ours.

So you're saying I should start writing Erotica?

I'm saying you should start writing what people are ashamed to love.

Maybe publishers should choose better covers.

I've read and liked the 3 books of The Black Sun Daughter and will buy the 4th as soon as it is out.

But, Do the series covers have to be that ridiculous?

Honestly I bought the books for the sole reason I knew MLN Hanover was Daniel Abraham. The covers would have been enough to put me off otherwise. I don't like them and once I read the books I didn't even think they depicted in any way the content of the books.

So it's not about feeling ashamed, it's not about guilty pleasures. The covers are just bad IMO.

Maybe publishers should choose better covers.

I've read and liked the 3 books of The Black Sun Daughter and will buy the 4th as soon as it is out.

But, Do the series covers have to be that ridiculous?

Honestly I bought the books for the sole reason I knew MLN Hanover was Daniel Abraham. The covers would have been enough to put me off otherwise. I don't like them and once I read the books I didn't even think they depicted in any way the content of the books.

So it's not about feeling ashamed, it's not about guilty pleasures. The covers are just bad IMO.

It's all marketing, fans of paranormal romance are scanning the shelf of their favorite author's books, get to the end of Laura K. Hamilton and BAM! "Who is this MLN Hanover with remarkably similar covers? I'll have to give them a try."

Hopefully it did boost sales, because they are embarrassing covers to take out in public.

Seems a good place to start a new thread, with a review of the first of Abraham's books for this year:

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (Daniel Abraham & Ty Franck)

Clarification: The thread subtitle refers to the fact that Daniel now has multiple threads about him as others have been maxed out. Only a few other authors have achieved this, hence the 'big leagues' comment. Absolutely not a comment on the quality of his work, which has been very high since his first book was published ;)

I Shall Return!... After reading this book...

It's all marketing, fans of paranormal romance are scanning the shelf of their favorite author's books, get to the end of Laura K. Hamilton and BAM! "Who is this MLN Hanover with remarkably similar covers? I'll have to give them a try."

I understand these covers target a certain category of readers, as you've said it's all marketing. But then they also deter other potential readers.

Hopefully it did boost sales, because they are embarrassing covers to take out in public.

I also hope they were at least useful, somehow.

I don't mind the embarrassing aspect since I always cover books with a sheet of paper when I read in public, in the train for instance, regardless of the title or the cover. I don't like it when people see what I'm reading, no matter if it's fantasy, SF, a classic or some boring stuff I have to read for work.

I just hate to have books with terrible covers, it ruins part of the pleasure of buying a book.

I understand these covers target a certain category of readers, as you've said it's all marketing. But then they also deter other potential readers.

I also hope they were at least useful, somehow.

I don't mind the embarrassing aspect since I always cover books with a sheet of paper when I read in public, in the train for instance, regardless of the title or the cover. I don't like it when people see what I'm reading, no matter if it's fantasy, SF, a classic or some boring stuff I have to read for work.

I just hate to have books with terrible covers, it ruins part of the pleasure of buying a book.

I hate bad covers too, but good content more than makes up for it... and here's the next book's cover. I like that there's actually some color differentiation on this one, but it's really not that different.

I hate bad covers too, but good content more than makes up for it... and here's the next book's cover. I like that there's actually some color differentiation on this one, but it's really not that different.

Thanks for the link. The next cover isn't much of an improvement. At least the character isn't posing with a deadly weapon (gun/snake/dager). She is still wearing that ridiculous outfit, but I guess that can't be helped.

Glad Dragon's Path worked for you. I got the word from Orbit today that they like the five-book version of the story too. I originally built it as a five-booker, then -- when Orbit bought the first three -- I figured out what I'd need to do to make it end at a good place, in case they didn't sell all that well and Orbit dropped me (see: Tor). *But* I was secretly hoping I could follow the original outline.

Did the three book version involve stopping the story at an earlier point, or would you have sped up the main plot while dropping side-plots?

Did the three book version involve stopping the story at an earlier point, or would you have sped up the main plot while dropping side-plots?

Little of both. There were some things that we'd simplify, we'd stop a little earlier than the five-book version, and at least one of the scenes that really needs to be at the end of the story would have been recast and bumped up.

Audio rights for Dragon's Path and Leviathan Wakes were purchased by Recorded Books. http://www.recordedbooks.com/

So far as I know, no one's asked after the Long Price books audio rights yet.

My girlfriend listens to most her of her books in the car/at work so i'm always trying to push stuff her way so it's good to know the new material is getting the audio treatment.

I was happy to find Dragon's path in the mail yesterday. It could well make for my anti-royal wedding distraction if the weather is nice :)

• 3 weeks later...

The King's Blood will be published in April 2012:

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9781841498898

and Caliban's War in May 2012:

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9781841499901

King's Blood must be the next dagger and coin i would guess? Man I hate getting into series that are not done yet, so much easier to play catch up =)

Archived