Main title music

spikebrennan

I wonder what kind of music Ramin Djawadi is going to compose for the main title theme. There are several different directions it could go:

- Medieval period music (Unlikely, in my opinion. Instruments with weird tones like sackbuts and hurdy-gurdys would turn people off. I imagine we'll hear lutes in the soundtrack, though.)

- Modern pop or rock (A terrible, mood-destroying idea).

- Something conventionally orchestral, like a John Williams score

- Something atmospheric, like what Jeff Beal did for the main title theme of HBO's "Rome".

Personally, something like tracks 2, 7 or 19 of the attached:

http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/monks-orthodox/

would send chills down my spine. Sort of medieval, but without being Gregorian chant (which has almost become cliche in a medieval setting).

Yeah, give Djawadi's pedigree as a Zimmer protégé, and the fact that he's the second film composer they've hired, it seems to me that we really need to look to cinema.

If I had to just guess and imagine a score, I'd be thinking brass, strings, and percussion. Choral elements? Not impossible, but I think it has to be relatively carefully done so as not to seem over-the-top or overly-portentious. There were some choral pieces in his Clash of the Titans score, I believe.

Here's what Zimmer did for the main theme of HBO's massive The Pacific miniseries, which mostly just illustrates that I think HBO is totally going cinematic:

Whether there'll be a "medieval" spin to the music, I have absolutely no clue. I would not mind the use of some of the fine medieval/renaissance musician groups out there.

Oh, wow. And while googling around, I decided to look at what The Tudors did after Linda mentioned that she didn't remember much of the music there (I think they made rather low-key use)... and I see that their composer, Trevor Morris, is yet another former assistant to Zimmer. ;) And... it looks like they're going head-to-head, no less! Morris is the composer for Showtime's The Borgias, which'll be airing across from Game of Thrones from the April 17th premiere and on.

Very interesting...

Here's one of Morris's finer pieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIRs5nUAS28&feature=related

And more here at his official site. Particularly note his Pillars of the Earth blurb -- epic story, massive time pressure. Sound familiar? It'll be very interesting to see if Djawadi ends up exploring similar orchestral territory or ends up doing something very different.

It might just be that the title score is right here in this new Sky trailer:

The second piece of music (might be connected with the first part) with the choirs seems like something that might fit. You'll have to crank up the volume a bit, and try to ignore the talking, but it's quite audible.

Jeff Beal's music is amazing. He did an incredible job on Rome and Carnivale. Also I love what Trevor Morris did on the Tudors.

Personally, I hope they don't go the typical bombastic cinematic score route, especially if it feels like some cheap Zimmer knockoff. I'd far prefer something more subtle, something unique and otherwordly that really heightens the sense of intrigue and danger that surrounds the game of thrones. Something like

would be amazing.

Hey everybody,

over five years since I last posted a post, but somehow you got me off the benches and into the trenches again for this.

As to the music... I love the dramatic effect of the intro to the Pacific, but would not mind something a bit less dramatic and more fragile. Just some suggestions, neither one of which would suit, but might set the right tone.

- Yann Tiersen's: "Comptine d'un autre été"

- Goldfrapp's: "Eat Yourself"

- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova: "Falling Slowly"

- Damien Rice: "Cannonball"

- Don McClean: "Vincent"

(for Ned)

- Chantal Kreviazuk: "Feels Like Home to Me"

(if Sansa ever returns)

And for any scene involving the Mountain and the Tickler :)

- Dick Dale & his Deftones: "Miserlou" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9rg2uP_xXk

Talk to you soon!

Welcome, Hearteater. Some interesting choices! Tiersen's composition for piano is lovely. I swear I've heard it somewhere before, hrm...

The heavy metal band The Sword has a couple of songs inspired by ASoIaF, and one of their members has stated on Twitter that they think

would be suitable for the show.

It's most famous for it's use in Amelie Poulain, but it also features in Goodbye Lenin. I cannot help but see a raven flying over parts of Westeros, different protagonists looking up from a famous scene, as they hear the piano approach in the distance.

This is almost as beautiful, but quite a bit more dramatic (from the movie Sunshine): "Surface of the Sun"

Archived