Kingslayer / Charming

The Fan

I know it's pretty well known reading through several threads about casting and the like, but I wanted to post these together:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_ljxdChup8Vy2AeMI_5qsCObGcmXklzjXkLWSr3ZocnNR5NdR

GameOfThrones_Jaime_01.png

I am very satisfied with nearly every screencap and info I have seen about the HBO series, except for the fact Jaime has a pretty modern hairstyle and seems to be wearing a leather flight jacket, which appears very modern.

Is it just unfortunate coincidence they look so alike and Jaime was outfitted in the screencaps in what could be easily mistaken for modern garb?

To be honest I don't mind that Jaime has short hair and while I'm not happy about it I can take his jacket - but he should damn well carry something more appropriete.

The thing that really irks me is that the Lannister men-at-arms seems to be using armour that says: samurai meets uruk-hai. :(

Althrough I dont really like it that Jaime wears a bloody leather jacket and that the guards in the background look more like Uruk-hai then the guards described in the book, I think it could make for a very interesting and diffrent world where people still fight with swords and yet wear leather jackets and sun glasses at the same time :)

I can see the need of making sure that there is differentiation between the different groups, but from what I have seen, I don't know that the degree to which, say Lannister guardsman differing from Winterfell guardsman, is warranted.

Aesthetics would play some minor role in the design of their armor, but I think it would be far behind the utility and protection, and even though Westeros is large, the technological gap doesn't seem like it would be as wide as its portrayed.

All this being said, I can see in this thread I have done nothing but complain, but let me state that I am essentially complaining about the glove box on my new free Ferrari, I am very glad this story is coming to screen, and the small gripes are really minor. This is going to be epic.

Aesthetics would play some minor role in the design of their armor, but I think it would be far behind the utility and protection, and even though Westeros is large, the technological gap doesn't seem like it would be as wide as its portrayed.

What technological gap? And I think aesthetics can explain a lot. Not like they are fighting a war.

What technological gap? And I think aesthetics can explain a lot. Not like they are fighting a war.

It might just be hard to tell, but some of the armors they have shown in the teasers looks quite a bit more advanced than others, namely Lannister over Winterfell guards. I suppose too that an endless supply of money could also mean that even your guards are fully decked-out in the best of the best.

You mean the jacket under the armor? I think that's just an oversight by the costume people. It seems they converted a modern jacket into what's supposed to be small clothes.

My girl thinks the actor is fine as hell, so he's effective on that end. Cersei needs to be more sex bo-omb, if anything.

It might just be hard to tell, but some of the armors they have shown in the teasers looks quite a bit more advanced than others, namely Lannister over Winterfell guards. I suppose too that an endless supply of money could also mean that even your guards are fully decked-out in the best of the best.

That makes sense. The Starks aren't half as wealthy as the Lannisters, so Winterfell guards are probably going to be armed less than the guardsmen of a House whose wealth is, as you say, endless. I think there was a SSM about this, too, where it was mentioned that the armor varies depending on latitude, sort of matching time periods. In the North, mail and leather are the standards (pre-Norman England?),changing as you move south to the fancy and ornate plate armor of the Reach (13th and 14th century France). Intra-kingdom trade seems relegated to wine, really. I don't see much of resource trade, although absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Jaime shouldn't really have flowing locks IMO, because surely that'd be a liability in a fight?

Really only because when we see Jaime marching into a fight, he doesn't wear his helm. Assuming he usually would, however, he'd also most likely be wearing a leather/mail pull-over hood, of which I can't remember the proper name for, that would keep his lovely locks from becoming a liability.

You mean the jacket under the armor? I think that's just an oversight by the costume people. It seems they converted a modern jacket into what's supposed to be small clothes.

No, I don't think so.... take a look at this, its from the Inside Game of Thrones mini-mentary HBO aired before Boardwalk Empire, and it has Jaime in what appears to be a mid-length leather jacket, like a short duster. In this shot though, they have it a little more open, so it is hard to tell what exactly it is.

Also too, we may have different ideas of what small clothes are, I always read small clothes as underclothes. Are small clothes something better described as casual clothes?

No, I don't think so.... take a look at this, its from the Inside Game of Thrones mini-mentary HBO aired before Boardwalk Empire, and it has Jaime in what appears to be a mid-length leather jacket, like a short duster. In this shot though, they have it a little more open, so it is hard to tell what exactly it is.

Also too, we may have different ideas of what small clothes are, I always read small clothes as underclothes. Are small clothes something better described as casual clothes?

I've always taken smallclothes as both, though when you wear plate armor, you need something more than a t-shirt, really. Your definition is probably more accurate, e.g., underwear.

As to this photo...I don't think it's all that bad, though there is some clear modern styling. It looks like its half leather jerkin, half motorcycle jacket. :)

Smallclothes are underwear, I think. Martin relegates them to the same function, at least.

The dictionary tells me that they were also those tight pants fashionable in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

If you're wearing plate, usually you got alot more under it then just underwear. Probably a cloth-leather-mail-plate combo.

I've nerded out and worn plate armor, and it was horribly uncomfortable until I got some decent padded clothes on underneath. And this was just "combat" armor, which is lighter and smoother than ceremonial or jousting armor, or so I was told. Wasn't too bad to move around in once I had a leather jacket on underneath.

I don't think it's Jaime we should be concerned about, but those god awful helmets the Lannister house guard are wearing... guh haha.

Yeah, those are pretty terrible... plus, they seem like they would guide an upwards blow right into the soft, meaty parts of the neck...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the "flight-jacket" look worries me a bit. Perhaps it is just because the color of his tunic is so much lighter than most other characters (Kingsguard getting whiteish/off-white tunics and surcoats?).

Either way I think Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is perfect for the role. I recently re-watched Black Hawk Down the other day where he can be seen playing Delta Sniper Gary Gordon, and he does an excellent job with his limited screen time.

Archived