Goodkind XLVIII

Gabriele

OH NO, I'm actually going to defend the Yeard for one thing he is consistently criticized for. I cant believe it, but this has always driven me nuts.

-Kicking a girl in the jaw--

Can we please put the first book in its own context. We didn't not know, as we did in later books, that Richard was supposed to be the most devout hero of always being right that he became. Assuming he was a man, and assuming he was a man being tortured, and assuming he was somewhat less sane because of so, the kicking in the teeth didn't shock me on first reading like some claim. When i thought i as reading about a flawed hero, the act seemed to fit the context. Once we know that Richard is supposed to be the standard bearer, yes the act seemed even more extreme. But that didn't come out of the first book.

After all, we forget that Ser Gregor smashed Pella's face(and teeth) in AFFC. (Correct me if i have wrong character name, I've only read AFFC twice, and im horrible with names of minor characters). Is the act different because we know he is bad?

Of course in the same book a man actually succeeded in banning fire, so resume all criticisms from there. I cant defend the yeard for anything else.

I do understand the criticism of our criticism of the jaw-kick heard 'round the web, but understand the double-standard: Princess Violet grew up with a horrendous mother and doesn't know any better. She'd lived all 8 years of her life as out of touch with people as anyone else. A guy in his 20's kicked her teeth in because she was talking smack to him and threatening his girlfriend. Now, we have this leather-clad female army walking around, fucking and killing anyone Darken Rahl tells them to. They were conditioned to kill and torture and punish. It's practically written in their DNA by that point. Yet they deserve sympathy and a second chance. Why?

There's a reason children don't receive the same punishment as adults, but Tairy totally reversed that shit for his first book.

Richard actually felt sorry for the little Princess. The sadness for her came over him in a wave. At that feeling, he was surprised to feel the thing in him that had come awake rise up.

Princess Violet squeezed her eyes shut, stuck her tongue out far as she could.

It was like a red flag.

Sorrow+ sadness= rising things

Its a matter of math really.

For those who quit the series long before the ending, Violet was healed by a witch with the absurd name Six, and reappears in the series as a full blown villain. Almost like Goodkind heard the mocking and had to justify his first book. "See, Richard was right to kick her, look how she turned out!"

Somewhat hysterically, she is defeated by her own magical creation, ghostie gobbliesIHT. And no, I did not make that up. Those of us who tragically suffered through Confessor have a wealth of horrors in our minds that make noble goats or evil chickens seem mundane. Most of us are simply too scarred to share our war stories.

For those who quit the series long before the ending, Violet was healed by a witch with the absurd name Six, and reappears in the series as a full blown villain. Almost like Goodkind heard the mocking and had to justify his first book. "See, Richard was right to kick her, look how she turned out!"

Somewhat hysterically, she is defeated by her own magical creation, ghostie gobbliesIHT. And no, I did not make that up. Those of us who tragically suffered through Confessor have a wealth of horrors in our minds that make noble goats or evil chickens seem mundane. Most of us are simply too scarred to share our war stories.

Oh lord, I forgot about that. I've blocked most of those books out. All I remember was that Richards awesome plan for rescuing his bitch was winning the Superbowl.

I always assumed the XLVII in the last thread was just a mocking of the superbowl, i didnt realize you were using actually numbers. The yeard must be the most discussed author in the lit forum.

I believe the Goodkind threads are more extensive in scope than the "R + L = J" thread in the General forum. Oh, and that's after these threads stopped doing the Quote of the Day things.

Ok, we can do this. Lets decipher the magic system in the goodkind universe.

As everyone knows, there is additive magic(which can only add to things) and subtractive magic(which takes stuff away). And some magic users only have additive, but it seems no magic user has ONLY subtractive.

No no no, your saying. Magic is ART. In the fist book Richard is DRAWN into a trap, and draws his way back out. And even the amazing Six needed Violet to draw magic for her. And of course, it is MAGIC that allows Richard to sculpt so amazingly without ever having done it before, so amazing of course that it sparks a revolution.

No no no, magic is MATH. Remember, Richard deconstructs the Chainfire spell by seeing the complex mathematical formulas in the web. Darken Rhal uses elaborate Geometry to set up the spells for the boxes of Ordin.

No no no no no no NO! Magic comes from sacrifice. Darken Rhal sacrifices the pure little boy out of love to ride a demon. The Slide sacrifices villagers to take over .... birds? really, birds? are they birds with bronze wings that cant be taken down? No? ONE FUCKING ARROW? thats all it takes? ok.... Yes the slide needs sacrifice to take over killer birds. And of course sisters of the dark sacrifice wizards for power, and virginity for power.

But wait! Where does Shota and Six come in? Witch women dont do any of that, they just kinda do what ever they want.

Bah. Never mind.

Damn, must have been pushed back. Clearly Tairy has decided to do some editing.

:lmao:

Of course he hasn't. He probably realised that the speeches weren't long enough and Kahlan only got almost-raped 8 times.

And of course sisters of the dark sacrifice wizards for power, and virginity for power.

Virginity? I dont think so. The sisters were encouraged to have sex with the young wizards to breed more wizards. No virgins here.

Better to say magic comes from sex. Sex magic. Succubus like sisters drain poor Nambles of their magic powers.

Where's PETA when you need them :crying:

Also magic comes from need. Whenever the plot needs magic its there, like........magic!

Mustn't forget the magic powered by cheap ornamental tat. Yes, the Dark Sisters use actual wizard-holding-a-crystal figurines to do their magic-draining thang, it's not all namble cocks you know. I always wondered who bought those dreadful things. :stillsick:

Just wait until Me, Myshkin, and Moosicus all have competing play-by-plays of The Omen Machine :commie:

I think I'd like to see you all break it down. Each take specific chapters and put your own spin on those. That'll up the entertainment qutient a little...

Well, I've not gotten to Darken Rahl's first appearence in the book, along with his evil henchman.

Who is revealed a few sentences later to be a cruel, unforgiving paedophile. I think it is at this point, the urge to throw the book as far as I can actually manifested itself in my psyche. Of course, at the same time in the book, the action has gone from relatively bloodless to loving descriptions of blood-splatter that would make Dexter himself a little envious. But it's just the 'oh, the bad-guy's henchman is a child molesterer' that's so far been the most distasteful thing I've read in this book. It's literary shorthand wank to make us hate a character almost on impulse. Even Dune, one of my favourite novels pulls the same trick (of course, in Dune, Baron Hakkonnen is so evil, he's two steps away from being on a Saturday morning cartoon.) It's bad, lazy writing.

The good news is that as you move on through the series, Demmin Nass stands out as a particularly subtle bit of writing. I'm not ashamed to admit that, viewed through the lens of subsequent "novels" in the series, Wizard's First Rule starts looking like Tolstoy. Of course, this falls apart if you ever go back and reread it, but why would anyone do that?

The good news is that as you move on through the series, Demmin Nass stands out as a particularly subtle bit of writing. I'm not ashamed to admit that, viewed through the lens of subsequent "novels" in the series, Wizard's First Rule starts looking like Tolstoy. Of course, this falls apart if you ever go back and reread it, but why would anyone do that?

All I have to say is 'F***!'

Yeah, the first time I tried to reread one was when the alarm bells started really going off. I was like...wait....this is supposed to be serious? HOLY SHIT!

I think it is at this point, the urge to throw the book as far as I can actually manifested itself in my psyche.

Well, I did throw some of the books several times through the room. Unfortunately mostly I picked them up again ...

Archived