James Cosmo in Pennsylvania

Westeros

James Cosmo, who plays Lord Commander Jeor Mormont, paid a visit to an old acquaintance to wish them happy birthday. The Beaver County Times provides a report, and it’s what you’d largely expect from a local paper… but we do have a couple of remarks concerning Game of Thrones:

The 62-year-old actor already has moved on to a new HBO medieval-fantasy drama, “Game of Thrones” where he’ll play the lord in charge of an army of knights that guard a protective ice wall in a land where winters last 10 years. Cosmo is confident “Game of Thrones” will be a hit.

“It’s pretty violent, and pretty sexy, with lots of political intrigue,” Cosmo said. “They conjure up a wonderful world. It’s got a ‘Lord of the Rings’ mythical quality to it, but there’s horror elements and zombies and lots of swords and horses.”

Visit the Site!

...but there’s horror elements and zombies...

I dislike these kinds of quotes from actors, they might give outsiders a completely different perception of what Game of Thrones is going to be like, and thus not watch it. A.i., "Oh crap, another zombie movie", etc.

Whenever I'm describing Game of Thrones to a person that may want to read it, I often down-play the supernatural elements, especially since they don't have a large effect on the plot until later in the series.

I dislike these kinds of quotes from actors, they might give outsiders a completely different perception of what Game of Thrones is going to be like, and thus not watch it. A.i., "Oh crap, another zombie movie", etc.

Whenever I'm describing Game of Thrones to a person that may want to read it, I often down-play the supernatural elements, especially since they don't have a large effect on the plot until later in the series.

:thumbsup:

:agree:

“It’s pretty violent, and pretty sexy, with lots of political intrigue,” Cosmo said. “They conjure up a wonderful world. It’s got a ‘Lord of the Rings’ mythical quality to it, but there’s horror elements and zombies and lots of swords and horses.”

As if something from HBO wouldn't be violent, sexy, and full of political intrigue. That's pretty much the only kind of show they make . . .

Of course this particular actor is going to be dealing with a lot of those fantasy elements in his part. So his pov will tilt that way a bit.

Eh, I know people who might be more interested in the show if they hear about the zombies and super natural elements. Aspects of the show that will interest some will turn off others, and there's nothing to be done about it. Hopefully HBO's advertisements will be enough interest a wide range of people to turn in and find themselves enjoying the show for whatever reasons. If anything, their current advertisement seems to be focusing more on the character based drama and political intrigue aspect of the show, so having a few actors mention the more super natural elements shouldn't, I'd think, have that negative of an affect.

Archived