2011 Cricket World Cup

Stubby

Memo to Andrew Strauss - if you win the toss, FFS bat first so you get a chance to make some runs!

(I'm looking at you NZ)

Strauss may have heard you Stubby but the coin toss didn't. ;) First wicket has just gone down but the Netherlands made a decent start at 0/36 off 6. At this rate with how the Associate nations are going, if the Netherlands can get 200+ that'll be a victory in itself.

Me too. In the words of Michael Vaughan:

"Yardy has been a invaluable member of the side for a year or so now..Arrive at the WC and see ya later.. Why oh why..."

Well, they're clearly taking the lead from the Aussie selectors and the Nathan Hauritz / Ashes fiasco...

BBC live text:

VILLAGE! The only word to describe what would have been a simple catch as Ten Doeschate sends up a lofted drive with plenty of hang time, allowing Kevin Pietersen and James Anderson to get under the ball for the catch. Except both leave it for the other, stopping dead in their tracks as the ball plonks down neatly between them. Graeme Swann's stare could cut through bank vaults. Furious - and he has every right. And to really rub the sodium in the fresh wounds, Ten Doeschate nudges a single to bring up his 50. Oh dear. Worth watching on the hightlights later today because it's a shocker.

:stunned:

Just checking -- what happened in that play when ten Doeschate got his century? Were England trying to stump someone, but missed?

Yeah, it went for overthrows. England were trying to run out a guy but he was in, the throw hit the stumps and bounced off all the way to the boundary. It's a rather bizarre ruling but in that case, the overthrows are credited to the batsman. I'm not sure why they aren't counted as extras, but there you go.

This partnership is rocking...Netherlands really could set England a good test. Their bowling isn't very good though, according to the commentators.

Dropping a catch at this stage won't affect the score much, but it might make a psychological difference...

It was quite a bad performance in the field. Four dropped catches that I can remember (although Pietersen's and Trott's would have been very good catches) and then the confusion between Anderson on the skier and a Swann drop. Plus the no-ball fiasco with Boren getting recalled, and Anderson spraying two over-the-waist full tosses.

Still I think England's powerful batting lineup will get them home. But whatever happens, it was a great innings by the Netherlands (and ten Doeschate).

Archived