2011 Cricket World Cup

Stubby

Great game to mark my return to the cricket thread :thumbsup:. The 50-over WC doesn't hold the interest for me that it used to, but it still throws up the occasional epic match...

That was an astonishing innings from Kevin O'Brien, and the Irish batsmen playing with him batted very intelligently as well. A century off just 50 balls must be one of the best World Cup innings. I imagine the Irish will enjoy the victory over England quite a lot - even Irish people who don't have a clue about cricket.

Admittedly, they were helped by some woeful fielding and bowling by England, they have a real problem in those two areas, only Swann seems to be bowling well and they don't have many alternatives in the squad - Shazhad might be a better bet than Broad and Anderson at the moment but he didn't bowl particularly successfully in the last game, I suppose they could try picking Tredwell rather than Yardy but he's a very average player even if he's a more conventional spinner. Their batting has been doing well, even if they could have got a few more runs at the end today, but they'll be in a tough fight to even qualify for the quarter finals at this stage - the matches against Bangladesh and the Windies will be crucial.

I am worried about India's chances because India=England < Ireland. Math isnt on our side :worried:

India did beat Bangladesh who then beat Ireland. India do have a similar problem to England in that while their batting is impressive their bowling looks a bit weak apart from Zaheer, so it is certainly possible for them to lose in the same way to Ireland even if I doubt Ireland will have enough consistency to chase down a huge target twice in a row. West Indies have a similar potential problem since their bowling is very average apart from Roach so Ireland might fancy their chances there, I suspect South Africa should be too strong for them, though.

Archived