2011 Cricket World Cup

Stubby

This is absolutely ridiculous (Pakistan vs NZ).

NZ were trudging along, Nathan McCullum hit a six and then got out, and then all hell breaks loose. Shoaib goes for 28 in one over and then the carnage continues.

The partnership between Taylor and Oram was 85 off 22 balls! That's almost hitting a 4 every ball for 22 balls in a row. They were assisted by 6s and wides of course. I have never seen such an acceleration in an ODI before.

The last four overs went for 28, 15, 30, 19. Ie 92 runs from 4 overs.

I know, completely crazy!

I checked the score a wee while ago.

NZ were 180/5 off 43. 'Oh well, another limp failure against Pakistan,' I thought.

Clicked onto BBC Sport a few minutes ago and saw it was 302/7 off 50.

:stunned:

I was convinced there was a typo. 230/7 would have been a good effort given where we were.

Ross Taylor's birthday too, and he hits 131*, including seven sixes

I've had Taylor in my fantasy team since the start of the tournament and he had only scored 7 points...so he was definitely due.

But yeah, that was insane from NZ. Should be an easy victory for the Black Caps now.

I've had Taylor in my fantasy team since the start of the tournament and he had only scored 7 points...so he was definitely due.

But yeah, that was insane from NZ. Should be an easy victory for the Black Caps now.

I couldn't decide whether to transfer in How or Taylor. I picked How. :(

Disappointing rainout. I think Sri Lanka were actually going fairly well and Australia would have had trouble chasing any sort of target, with the pitch assisting the spinners and the Sri Lankans playing three of them. Australia needs a tough match and so far three matches in they haven't got it. It could leave them a bit underdone when the other stages come around...

I'd deliberately set my team up to take advantage of what should have been a great contest... Then the weather happened.

FFS, I live in England, if I want rain, I'll stand outside for a few hours and wait for a shower to come along!

Holy fuckeroley that was awesome.

But Mcullum was a dud.

Think that's bad? I'd just transferred in Afridi for Kallis, and made him captain. My other picks were Bennett (who didn't even play!) and B McCullum (as discussed)...

Oh, and thanks to everyone who chimed in with congrats about the wedding! :)

I think you could pretty much scale that up to the NZ team as a whole. They've had a dismal run of ODI form lately so they were due a decent ODI win.

I was worried that they'd fail to win any games against to 7 countries, so getting one such win under the belt, and probably finishing top of their group table. has already exceeded my expectations for the CWC.

Just a nail-bitingly nervous wait to see if NZ beats Canada now. If Ireland can embarass England then Canada can embarass NZ.

Speaking of England, looks like their injury woes are continuing with Broad gone now, following on the heels of Peterson. Their odds of taking home the cup must have just got a bit longer.

I have recovered somewhat since a woeful start, but am still doomed to lower table obscurity while the Poms sit pretty at the top. Will be happy though as long as I finish ahead of that Neal guy (I have a score to settle after he thrashed me in bowling last year...).

I have recovered somewhat since a woeful start, but am still doomed to lower table obscurity while the Poms sit pretty at the top. Will be happy though as long as I finish ahead of that Neal guy (I have a score to settle after he thrashed me in bowling last year...).

haha, will definitely have to start trading players now

So what do people think of Minnows at the world cup?

I think Ireland have proven themselves worthy of playing, and Zimbabwe and Bangladesh should definitely be there.

I like Holland, and they have a long history when it comes to cricket but they really aren't much of a side. Without RTD they wouldn't even be slightly competitive. Kenya is awful, and Canada is just an expat team. Those three don't really add anything except for boosting the top player's averages.

Speaking of England, looks like their injury woes are continuing with Broad gone now, following on the heels of Peterson. Their odds of taking home the cup must have just got a bit longer.

I'm not sure they've been weakened too much. Morgan's record over the past year is far superior to Pietersen's although KP's departure does mean that England now have to find someone to open the batting. Tremlett bowled well in Australia so I'm not sure him replacing Broad is weakening the team much either, although I suspect his style of bowling might not be well suited to Indian pitches.

So what do people think of Minnows at the world cup?

I think Ireland have proven themselves worthy of playing, and Zimbabwe and Bangladesh should definitely be there.

I like Holland, and they have a long history when it comes to cricket but they really aren't much of a side. Without RTD they wouldn't even be slightly competitive. Kenya is awful, and Canada is just an expat team. Those three don't really add anything except for boosting the top player's averages.

I think Ireland have proved that the Associates should have at least some representation at the World Cup, even apart from the England game they've still looked competitive in their other games. Holland's performance against India today (scoring 180-odd and then taking 5 wickets) is probably about what I'd expect an Associate to do against one of the best teams in the competition. Kenya have been very disappointing, however, they've not really made any impact at all and most of the time Canada weren't any better although they did restrict Pakistan to a fairly small score.

Morgan's record over the past year is far superior to Pietersen's although KP's departure does mean that England now have to find someone to open the batting.

MCGeek and I were discussing this last night. Bell to open with Strauss, maybe, or Prior? Prior was not exactly an unblemished success as an opener IIRC.

The other thing: in this specific circumstance the selectors brought in Morgan because he's very good, but in general terms why doesn't Cook play one-day?

MCGeek and I were discussing this last night. Bell to open with Strauss, maybe, or Prior? Prior was not exactly an unblemished success as an opener IIRC.

I agree Prior never seemed comfortable as an opener (in general, he's never seemed to bat as well in one-day games as in Tests). I'm guessing either Bell or Trott will end up opening, maybe Bell would be the best option.

The other thing: in this specific circumstance the selectors brought in Morgan because he's very good, but in general terms why doesn't Cook play one-day?

I was wondering something similar, given that Cook was in such superb form in the Ashes I think they might have missed out a bit excluding him from the squad - he has played a few one-day internationals so he does have some experience. I guess they're a bit worried about his scoring rate in one-day games, especially since some of the other England batsmen don't have great strike rates, but I'd still think he would be worth more than someone like Luke Wright in the squad and he would have been useful just now when they need an opener.

Archived