2011 Cricket World Cup

Stubby

Pollard gone. That's probably it. Going to sleep. Looks Bangladesh will have to qualify the hard way :( .

Oh ye of little faith! Looks like Hereward was right and England are on their way. Great knock and bowling performance from new boy Russell. And congrats to the hosts for qualifying :cheers:.

Heh, maybe I spoke too soon...Russell just dismissed - game back on.

12 long years since their last defeat...come on Pakistan!

Well, you'd have to say it was coming. Australia haven't played at all well in this World Cup and yet have come off with wins all the time, as soon as they have a match against a side in good touch (Sri Lanka was rained out) it was going to be much tougher.

It's not done yet though since Pakistan can collapse like a house of cards, but I don't think the Australian attack is good enough this time. All the Pakistani batsmen have to do is attack, and Lee/Tait/Johnson will go for runs and they should wrap up the target inside 30-35 overs. However if the Australians get a couple of wickets before 30 runs are on the board, then things will be a bit dicier.

A few things on Australia - Ponting and Cam White are being carried in this team. Haddin/Watson is a formidable opening combo but there's no one backing them up afterwards. As well as the general thought that there's no one bowler who can be called on to stop the runs if they do end up flowing - I suppose Watson is the closest there is, Australia really need a Collingwood-esque medium pacer, stump-to-stump with the 'keeper standing up. They haven't really had one since Damien Martyn.

I've had a bad couple of days and now my comfortable lead has turned into a comfortable lead for billyj. :worried:

MCGeek and I spent a while last night trying to work out exactly how that had happened...

I've had a bad couple of days and now my comfortable lead has turned into a comfortable lead for billyj. :worried:

I was beginning to think I'd never be able to catch you up. I'm not sure it's a comfortable lead yet (or maybe you've caught up a bit today), 150 points can be made up pretty quickly. :fencing:

MCGeek and I spent a while last night trying to work out exactly how that had happened...

On Friday I had centuries for Sangakarra and ten Doeschate and four wickets for Murali (who I had as captain) and a few other points. That all added up to quite a lot.

Archived