2011 Cricket World Cup

Stubby

I feel for the South Africans though. NZders know all too well what it feels like when the national team, the supposed favourites, fail in Rugby World Cups.

Spare a thought for Allan Donald, part of NZ's coaching staff.

It's good for people who gambled and stuffed their fantasy team with Kiwis, though. :)

Since you'll have opened up a nice lead at the top of the fantasy league with this last play who are we to deny your wisdom (and contract skills). Still, it's a little unsettling to find you've abandoned England in favour of Sri Lanka for tomorrow's fixture, must be some contract :fencing:

Random comment: Stephen Fleming must be smiling right now - Vettori's captaincy tonight had Fleming's legacy written all over it.

Excellent point

Also, if there's one team whose skin that the NZers know how to get under, it's SA. Again, partly a legacy of Fleming

Hey Malt, nice prescience in making Oram your captain btw. :thumbsup:

I'd actually put Tahir last night, but then thought it would be more sensible to have an allrounder as captain.

In other news, since it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, is Yardy the new Trescothick?

Great stuff from the Kiwis. To be honest 221 didn't seem like much and the South Africans can blame a slow pitch and a long tail, but really they should have got there. That they didn't was due to some excellent bowling and pressure. Oram is a better ODI bowler than I've given him credit for in the past...in the ODI game he is a pretty decent bowling all-rounder. It makes the early partnership between Ryder and Taylor stand out; South Africa just didn't have a comparable partnership that would help them get there. Even when you had South Africa's tail out there it seemed they would be able to guide it home (after Peterson's heroics against India) but this time it didn't happen.

A pity for South Africa, particularly their bowlers who did do well to limit NZ in the first innings, but the batsmen couldn't finish off the job. Kallis won't have another World Cup in him either, which is sad. This only solidifies my initial feeling that the winner of Pakistan/India will win the WC. NZ aren't a bad team but I don't think they'll be able to stand up to the powerhouse of those two countries. When things go right for them it works (eg batting against Pakistan, bowling against South Africa here) but you can't help but think they could be overrun by India.

NZ continue their pretty decent run in World Cups though. They've made the semis quite a few times now...it'll be interesting to see if they can go a step further.

Tonight with Sri Lanka and England will be interesting. It could just be like England to suddenly get it together in the knockout stages.

ETA: that said, am I right in thinking that Morkal has a history of walloping the ball? If we let him get his eye in the game could still be SA's?

I think it's his brother Albie that's the batsman in the family.

Since you'll have opened up a nice lead at the top of the fantasy league with this last play who are we to deny your wisdom (and contract skills). Still, it's a little unsettling to find you've abandoned England in favour of Sri Lanka for tomorrow's fixture, must be some contract :fencing:

I suspect it's probably the typical English pessimism about their prospects of doing well ;)

This only solidifies my initial feeling that the winner of Pakistan/India will win the WC. NZ aren't a bad team but I don't think they'll be able to stand up to the powerhouse of those two countries. When things go right for them it works (eg batting against Pakistan, bowling against South Africa here) but you can't help but think they could be overrun by India.

You might well be right, although I could imagine Pakistan losing to NZ in the final they're certainly capable of losing games they should win on paper. I wouldn't rule out Sri Lanka if they get to the final, though, they might not have the strength in depth of India's batting or Pakistan's bowling but they do have some very dangerous players.

Tonight with Sri Lanka and England will be interesting. It could just be like England to suddenly get it together in the knockout stages.

England do seem to perform better when they're not expected to win. It's going to be a tough match for them, though, particularly with the ever-increasing number of injuries to their bowling attack. I reckon they'll need to dismiss the Sri Lankan top order quickly to have a chance.

If Sri Lanka could catch we'd be in real trouble.

Especially with a long tail (Prior at 6, Wright at 7, Bresnan at 8) those drops might be crucial.

Archived