2011 Cricket World Cup

Stubby

This might be England's first game that isn't a nailbiter...with Sangakarra in great form and Jayawardene to come as well, Sri Lanka's comparatively long tail shouldn't really matter that much.

I chose Sangakkara as my captain instead of Dilshan. :bang:

Same here :(

After today I'm starting to think that it's increasingly unlikely that I'll be able to catch Hereward in the Fantasy league.

I think I'll predict an India vs Sri Lanka final, although Pakistan still have a good chance. I reckon New Zealand are going to have to do something very special if they want to take down this Sri Lankan team, they'd probably need at least a repeat of Ross Taylor's devastating hundred from earlier in the tournament or a similar innings from McCullum or Ryder.

The stage is set for a clash of TITANS this wednesday, as two bitter foes take to the field. This match is more important than the world cup final, for the very pride of two countries hangs on the line.

Pakistan vs India:March 30th. Best bowling attack vs Best batting.

Mark this on your calendar folks. It's gonna be big. Pakistan is going to win this one in style, and humiliate the Indian team on their homeground.

I think it will be somewhat close. Not because I have any particular confidence in the Indian team, but while they have been prone to somewhat spectacular collapses, they dont generally lose by large margins. At least not on home turf.

As to who will shade it, it depends on who handles pressure better in these circumstances. As the suffocating South Africans can no doubt testify to.

How did a team that recently got whitewashed by Bangladesh, lost a seris in India and lost to Pakistan at home end up being the only non-sub-continent team in the semis?

John Wright is the answer I reckon.

But yeah, I don't see the Black Caps rolling Sri Lanka. Still I guess rolling South Africa in the quarters wasn't meant to be part of the script either. So it's not totally outside the realms of possibility. I give them a 25% chance of winning.

I think India will win the semi against Pakistan.

The way I see it - if India bat first, they should win. Pakistan aren't good chasers and haven't batted well in general. With India's powerful batting lineup you'd have to think they'd be chasing a big total, or at best a par score, which would put Pakistan on the back foot with their weak batting suit. Even if Pakistan bat first, I wouldn't be confident of them setting a large total, and India have shown they can chase down some reasonably large scores with ease (eg vs Australia).

As much as Pakistan has the best bowling and India the best batting, I really think it's more a matchup of the weaknesses of each side. And put simply, I think Pakistan's batting is worse off than India's bowling (especially since India now have an in-form Yuvraj as fifth bowler).

Not saying Pakistan don't have a chance, but I'd rate them maybe only 30% at beating India. The way I can see a Pakistani win is on individual brilliance - maybe Afridi decides to go berserk, or Gul takes 3+ wickets in a brilliant opening spell.

Archived