Judging Eye IX (spoilers)

Spring Bass

http://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/grin-juice-concentrate/

Then he turns to me and says, “You’re that famous author, aren’t you?”

And I reply, “Well, I wouldn’t say ‘famous.’ Notorious in some small circles maybe.”

“Notorious? Why is that?”

I'm kind of skeptical some dude turned around without prompting and asked Bakker if he were a famous author.

And I again reiterate my belief that Inrau did not suicide, it just looked like he did. He's the only schoolman it would make sense to join akka in WLW.

The lead in to Inrau's synthese encounter is indeed fascinating. He could have very well seen Moe doing a face sending consultation with Maitha (which we see Moe do for the Emperor as well) and concluded that the Shriah was colluding with the Cisharum.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Moe is still alive, actually is powerful in Psukhe, and was never in the dungeon with Kell, and a face sender was killed.

That's a good theory regarding what Inrau would have seen - it makes sense in the context of his thoughts and also fits with my own personal belief that Maithanet is not an agent or under the influence of the Consult.

However, I think Inrau is dead. I mean, the whole Temple believes he's dead, and Akka was unable to discover anything that even hinted at the contrary.

I also believe, as you do, that Moe hid his true power from Kellhus, using Kelly's knowledge that he wouldn't be able to see the Mark on a Cishaurim to deceive him. I'm not sure if he is alive, though; if he was doing a face-sending, it was done far more skillfully in the cave than in Momemn, as neither Kellhus nor Cnaiur noticed anything out of the ordinary (well, aside possibly from the fact that, IIRC, Moe was randomly nude). Remember that Xerius was able to see and hear both Moe and Skauras talking in Momemn.

ETA: Re: Madman - I don't think that Inrau's thoughts are simply him becoming suspicious of Maithanet. He was already suspicious thanks to the conversation he had with Akka in Esmi's apartment, and there are several references to him spying on Maithanet. I think he definitely found something.

I'm pretty sure that as someone said that the scene where Inrau dies is after the scene where Esmenet and Achamian try and convince him of Maithanet's complicity; fyi, I'm not sure that Inrau is suspicious of Maithanet in that latter scene with the sorcerer and the whore. Sounds like a lot of convenient twists of thought.

Yeah, local news in London have been commenting on Bakker's compulsion to write in that specific coffee shop since The Darkness That Comes Before. Fuck, they should be giving him royalties on all the coffees sold. He's basically their own personal display monkey.

Btw, London is not such a small town, at least not by my yardstick. I'm pretty sure it's clearing 350,000 in population.

Aurang started torturing Inrau, but Inrau managed to jump to his death before Aurang could realize what Inrau was intending and react to stop it.

I wonder if the people who found and examined Inrau noticed the Chorae burn on Inrau's cheek and recognized it for what it was. Achamian didn't get to hear about that, so it wouldn't have been common knowledge.

Yeah, I meant the suicide by jumping from the balcony.

I've tried to avoid spoilers, but hearing about Achamian's unnamed new companion, if he's Inrau he would need to get resurrected first. But then, I already think Saubon was resurrected, so it wouldn't be such a stretch. I wonder about Inrau's afterlife though, and how it might have affected him.

Inrau jumps to his death, I think, to not betray Achamian since the Synthese is in the process of trying to torture him for information/use the Cants of Compulsion on him.

Whether he also does it to warn Achamian, I'm not sure. It's entirely plausible.

I see some of us keep entertaining these thoughts that certain characters will re-appear, even though they have been killed, and I suspect that has more to do with having seen that happen in books and television before, than because of any relevance to Bakker.

Obviously, not having read the next books and not being able to read Bakker's mind, I cannot say for 100% certain that they will not re-appear at some point. But I would be very surprised if Bakker has Moenghus, Cnaiur, Inrau or any other character that we can safely assume to be dead, re-appear. It's not going to happen. They have fulfilled their purpose, their narrative arcs have been completed. There is no point in Moenghus returning now. I don't see Cnaiur's returning either. And Inrau was a two bit character who is certainly gone for good, as much as Conphas and all the others that were killed. This isn't Erikson.

I think Cnauir is in a slightly different category, since I can easily see him getting a new arc working for the Consult, and we don't see him die 'on screen': he merely considers it. You don't have to posit any weird conspiracies or supernatural effects or anything to have Cnauir be alive.

Make with the speculation, friends
If I learned anythign from watching the star wars holiday special, it's that anyone who says 'friends' at the end of a sentence is a bounty hunter who will eventually end up capturing Han Solo.

If I learned anythign from watching the star wars holiday special, it's that anyone who says 'friends' at the end of a sentence is a bounty hunter who will eventually end up capturing Han Solo.

The logical conclusion is that Madness is going to eventually capture Bakker, freeze him in carbonite and send him to Nerdanel, who will then force him confirm that the No God did in fact resurrect Saubon in the Unholy Consult.

Archived