Westeros mod for multiplayer Civilization clone (FreeCiv)

SpaceChampion

I've been playing a lot of the alpha version of Civilization World lately on facebook and got the urge to play Civ again... but I am on a linux machine. Thankfully, I found FreeCiv, an open source multiplayer version of the classic Civilization game.

Amazingly, though this project was originally created 15 years ago by computer science students, there is still an active development community producing updates for it, including an update two months ago that included a GUI game editor. Looking at the game and the code, it is remarkably easy to mod this, and it looks fairly flexible.

So I am planning on producing a mod for the Westeros world, maybe starting with an

(1) Others vs. Night Watch campaign, with Wildlings thrown in there as barbarian units; and then

(2) an Andal & Rhoynar invasion version with the Children of the Forest and the First Men;

(3) an Aegon the Conqueror campaign with dragon units, faith militant, and the various 7 Kingdoms; and finally

(4) an up to date version proceeding from the War of the Usurper and playing through the War of the Five Kings.

Issue one: I am not an artist. I will have to copy artwork from elsewhere, adapting what I can from the existing game. If there are any amateur or pro graphic artists that would like to work with me for fun creating the artwork for terrain, military units, buildings and wonders, please let me know. Like I said, most of this I can probably copy, but original artwork would be cool.

Issue two: I would like to see how difficult it is to run a multiplayer game, so I am asking for volunteers to help test that out. This would involve simply logging in to my server and joining a game, playing a few turns and let me know if you have an difficulties. Then once the first mod is ready, helping me test it further.

The actual programming doesn't look like it will take that much time. I can probably fairly quickly get the Wall up and a simple pair of units, one Wildling unit and one Night Watch ranger unit, in about an hour. Probably half an hour. I will start this Monday or later, so a server test would be possible probably mid week or the weekend.

Volunteers?

Get FreeCiv.

Archived