Full Frontal Nudity

Killuncle

Nudity is one of the main themes of the books? Since you can't really see the characters when you're reading a picture-less book, and since GRRM doesn't go into any great detail describing naked forms, I don't really see that being a main theme. But yes, as far as we know, people will get naked from time to time.

Nudity as one of the main themes of the book... I did not realize I was reading nudist fantasy!

I assume you mean the adult content and realism as being an important part of the series. Word has it that there will be nudity, I have no idea as to "full frontal", although Emilia Clarke does show quite a lot of herself. HBO shows certainly do not shy away from nudity (even Boardwalk Empire's Lucky Luciano was seen in the buff), so I doubt the show will do so very much. OTOH, reports on the pilot script compared to what's actually been filmed or made a final cut does seem to have pulled back a bit from some such moments. Why, I do not know.

Not that I know why it matters, either...

I don't really see nudity as a "theme," in the book, though there is the potential to see a lot of it in an adaptation such as this.

My answer would be: this is HBO. If you don't think you're going to see boobs, butts and willie-flashes, well, then you've never watched an HBO series apparently?

I don't really see nudity as a "theme," in the book, though there is the potential to see a lot of it in an adaptation such as this.

My answer would be: this is HBO. If you don't think you're going to see boobs, butts and willie-flashes, well, then you've never watched an HBO series apparently?

We don't have HBO in Ireland but I'm guessing the likes of sparticus is from HBO?

Nice.

It very important to the story. ;)

Spartacus is from Starz. HBO was Rome, Sopranos, and True Blood, as well as Boardwalk Empire.

I supppose your desire to see Tyrion's man-staff or Samwell's fat pink mast may indeed be fulfilled, in time and when appropriate.

Joined just to have this discussion, eh?

You have me chuckling Ran!

Ye. I had a mambership some time ago but never used it so lost it in the mist.

I only had one question about the TV show initially but now I've a few.

The reason I wanted to know about the nudity is because I'm sick of television, cinema and literature holding back. The fact that GRRM didn't do that was what impressed me most about his stories.

That and I'm a big perv.

If GRRM had written Jurassic Park he'd have killed off at least one of those annoying kids.

Ye. I had a mambership some time ago but never used it so lost it in the mist.

I only had one question about the TV show initially but now I've a few.

The reason I wanted to know about the nudity is because I'm sick of television, cinema and literature holding back. The fact that GRRM didn't do that was what impressed me most about his stories.

That and I'm a big perv.

Well, we're in agreement there. I like that he didn't sugar coat things--he wrote what was there and described what was there without being over indulgent, smooshy or silly. That scene with Tyrion and Sansa was very matter-of-fact, and even in its nakedness, it was one of the most touching scenes as we see right into Tyrion's heart, despite all the ugliness.

I believe HBO has toned down the nudity and sex scenes a little, for when you look at the teaser clips, both Doreah and Ros have their skirts on when riding Viserys and Tyrion respectively, although Ros is topless apparently. Also the Dothraki women are a little more covered than in the books, especially at the wedding. The latest clip has the brothel women covering their breast, partially at least to add a sense of expectation.

I believe HBO is going for the tasteful, artistic approach, rather than lurid and sensationalism, like Spartacus. Spartacus sex has gotten to the point of borderline XXX, and is to often used to the point of being ludicrous and laughable, you almost get desensitized. I like the value of unanticpated shock, so I think it is better they downplay it, then slam you upside the head with something in your face like seeing Sam's pink erection, or Jaime and Cersei in the Sept while she is having her moonblood and Drogo's manipulative rape of Dany. By having long spells of just hard PG-13 or soft R sex and nudity it really gives the aforementioned scenes and others, major impact on the senses when they occur and to me this adds to the story and emotional importance of said scenes. While if we continually see hard R sex and nudity, the impact of the important scenes lose their power on the viewer.

So for those who want Spartacus type scenes, just go to a site like sextube for your daily fix, and leave Game of Thrones be. I want Games to be a serious and critically acclaimed show, with Emmy potential, not a prime time hour so fanboys can jerk off.

I believe HBO has toned down the nudity and sex scenes a little, for when you look at the teaser clips, both Doreah and Ros have their skirts on when riding Viserys and Tyrion respectively, although Ros is topless apparently. Also the Dothraki women are a little more covered than in the books, especially at the wedding. The latest clip has the brothel women covering their breast, partially at least to add a sense of expectation.

I believe HBO is going for the tasteful, artistic approach, rather than lurid and sensationalism, like Spartacus. Spartacus sex has gotten to the point of borderline XXX, and is to often used to the point of being ludicrous and laughable, you almost get desensitized. I like the value of unanticpated shock, so I think it is better they downplay it, then slam you upside the head with something in your face like seeing Sam's pink erection, or Jaime and Cersei in the Sept while she is having her moonblood and Drogo's manipulative rape of Dany. By having long spells of just hard PG-13 or soft R sex and nudity it really gives the aforementioned scenes and others, major impact on the senses when they occur and to me this adds to the story and emotional importance of said scenes. While if we continually see hard R sex and nudity, the impact of the important scenes lose their power on the viewer.

So for those who want Spartacus type scenes, just go to a site like sextube for your daily fix, and leave Game of Thrones be. I want Games to be a serious and critically acclaimed show, with Emmy potential, not a prime time hour so fanboys can jerk off.

The scences should be as they are in the books, not toned down, or up.

It's real and gritty, and sex has far-reaching consequences at times in this universe, as in life. That's how they should do it. IMO, GRRM doesn't go on and on, building details for the sake of titillation. Rather, he describes characters' personalities, insecurities, relationships and other aspects through sex at times and for me, that's the beauty of it. So I'd love to see it handled similarly.

That said, I wouldn't be averse to some nekkid NCW!

Well, we're in agreement there. I like that he didn't sugar coat things--he wrote what was there and described what was there without being over indulgent, smooshy or silly. That scene with Tyrion and Sansa was very matter-of-fact, and even in its nakedness, it was one of the most touching scenes as we see right into Tyrion's heart, despite all the ugliness.

This is all true. But it is also probably a felony in the US if filmed exactly as written. That one will have to change dramatically. And I am okay with that. Though she is an actress, Sophie is still first and foremost a teen-aged girl. She doesn't need to be in a scene with a naked grown man. It can be filmed with an out-of-focus double portraying Sansa in the foreground blocking sight of Dinklage's genitalia. Nothing is lost to the plot by this.

The directors will have a delicate balance with Tyrion and sexuality in general. Little People are adults and have adult sex lives. It would be a discredit to the rich and full character of Tyrion if somehow if the line between exposition and exploitation were somehow crossed. I hope the directors rely not only on their own judgment but Dinklage's instincts as well. Actually, I'm confident from what we've heard from the creative team that they appreciate this quite well.

Archived