Full Frontal Nudity

Killuncle

I could be wrong, but I don't think HBO are allowed to show boners, right?

I don't know what would prevent them, except the (highly unlikely) possibility of censorship from some local obscenity law. They might have an in-house policy against it, but they don't fall under any federal regulation of content that I'm aware of.

This is all true. But it is also probably a felony in the US if filmed exactly as written. That one will have to change dramatically. And I am okay with that. Though she is an actress, Sophie is still first and foremost a teen-aged girl. She doesn't need to be in a scene with a naked grown man. It can be filmed with an out-of-focus double portraying Sansa in the foreground blocking sight of Dinklage's genitalia. Nothing is lost to the plot by this.

You have already given this too much thought.

*notifies authorities*

I don't think it's illegal for a child to be in a scene with a naked adult. There's a scene like that in The Door in the Floor with Jeff Bridges and Elle Fanning (who would have been five when the movie was shot). It's not a sexual scene, which may be the difference, but I don't think the simple fact of naked man plus child actor is necessarily illegal.

If nudity is not needed to tell the story, why distract from the story?

Who says that it isn't needed?

I don't think it's illegal for a child to be in a scene with a naked adult. There's a scene like that in The Door in the Floor with Jeff Bridges and Elle Fanning (who would have been five when the movie was shot). It's not a sexual scene, which may be the difference, but I don't think the simple fact of naked man plus child actor is necessarily illegal.

I'm sure it is possible for there to be nudity in a scene with an adult and a child. Certainly there are scenes in movies depicting breastfeeding or something..

But the idea of a minor actress, who is portraying a minor, being in a scene (and isn't Sansa nude as well in the book?) with an adult man, who is nude, and the mood of the scene is pretty much "they're expected to have sex and she doesn't want to".. that's probably not appropriate no matter what. Now, there's no need to drastically change the scene; it can easily be editted as people have suggested with body doubles or camera angles that suggest but don't show nudity, etc.

Another thing to consider.. Sophie just tweeted about turning 15 (happy birthday!). By the time this scene would film, if the series gets that far, the actress may very well be 18.

Well, whether the content of the scene has sexual overtones or not, I'm not sure that the experience for an actor is necessarily different. At least, I've heard enough times from actors that there's nothing as asexual as actually filming a sex scene in a movie.

ETA: Having said that, it occurs to me that they'll probably do the scene with the characters at least partially clothed.

I sure hope they have some nudity and or sexual aspects... just because ASOIAF is that kind of book. Having said that, with only 10 eps and such a long tale to tell, I certainly wouldn't want it to take up much screen time.

As for the title of the thread... full frontal nudity, hmmm, I'm going for Dany and Cersei's fine asses.

ETA: Having said that, it occurs to me that they'll probably do the scene with the characters at least partially clothed.

Yup. No need for either actor to be naked.

Another thing to consider.. Sophie just tweeted about turning 15 (happy birthday!). By the time this scene would film, if the series gets that far, the actress may very well be 18.

Probably 16 though if they film any S3 next year.

Does anyone know if there'll be any nudity in the tv series or are they going to go against one of the main themes of the books (sex)?

Well I must say I didn't get that impression from the books myself.

The question of the position of sex and nudity in entertainment is an interesting one. Neither are truly necessary as means for achieving dramatic impact of a scene. I'd go so far as to say it takes more skill in a film maker not to include overt portrayals of sex and displays of nudity and still make scenes of dramatic moment. So in some respects putting nudity and sex on screen is kind of a cheap way to get audience engagement.

I'm not against the full monty nudity and sex on TV / in movies. It's often very appropriate, while still not being necessary. But even with ASOIAF the TV series doesn't really need it to excell as a work of dramtic art.

But it will help the ratings.

Didn't Martin said something like this: "We live in a strange society, where people are upset when I depict the scene of penis entering vagina, but are completely OK when an axe enters a skull". So, to put it further, it's like so wrong if in a scene underage girl is in a presence of a naked man, while the presence of children in a scene where a head is chopped off is not disturbing.

If I'm made to think about the sex scenes in asoiaf, I'm not thinking about nudity of few characters or of some characters having sex, but mostly of rape. I think there are even more rape examples (with Martin being specifically attracted to gang rape) than consensual sex examples in the series. So, the fact that rape is acceptable / common occurance in Westeros and beyond in war times will be shown and the destructive/humiliating outcomes of it will be shown too, but lets not show the fact that boys have *s and girls have *s, let's remain oblivious about it. Say no to frontal nudity, but say yes to gang rape (naturally gang rape with no nudity shown but with every horror detail of blood and tears).

In Martin's defence mass rape was common occurance in wars. We know that it exists in 20/21 century (not only in Martin's medieval setting), and we know of instances where (gang) rape was encouraged/incited by authorities in times we live in (Bosnia, Congo, mass rape of German women in the first weeks of Soviet conquest of Hitler's Germany). There were instances in our history where even rape was less discriminating than today, supposedly Homer finishes conquests of the cities with sentences like "and then they raped all girls and boys". I said supposedly, because I never read unabriged Homer (in Greek or translation), but read about it in a anthropology book about homosexuality in Ancient Greek society.

The correct question should be this: How many people on this page it uncomfortable to see naked? The nude is a vital part to tell a story natural and realistic. Nobody complains about the violence, but when we see a penis are scandalized by anything!

Archived