Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zollo

Egypt and the Middle East Thread 6

Well, here is another round of going over what might just be a world-defining era in our lifetimes.

Colonel G. showing no sign of giving up (no surprise there): BBC.

The Yemeni security forces are now to protect all demonstrators, as per presidential decree: link.

Saudi Arabia dishes out benefits in grand style. Can't solve it? Throw money at it.

And in an attempt to stay relevant - lets shoot a rocket at Israel.

Saif's latest speech has Mohammad Saeed al-Sahhaf's fingerprints all over it.

Saif's latest speech has Mohammad Saeed al-Sahhaf's fingerprints all over it.

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?

He was just on Al-Arabiya, highlights follow:

"The world is conspiring against Libya"

"Nilesat has cut the signal of Libyan TV"

"Why don't these TV channels show the pro-Gaddafi demonstrations?"

"Tripoli is very calm except for one incident"

"This is all silly talk of bombing cities. Tomorrow journalists from all over the world will come to see the truth"

"Even from a military point of view, how do you bomb people?. Life is normal here, all life is normal here"

"I challenge anyone to give me the numbers of those killed"

"The conspiracy against Libya started with our Arab brothers"

(via)

All of which suggest he's been taking PR advice from 2003's favourite walking punchline.

North Korea is now seeing unrest, with several reported killed in demonstrations yesterday.

Didn't read all of the last thread, but I did see Cyrano's post about Pakistan. I agree that things are not quite ripe for a revolution, but I don't agree that these things really solidify in cities: like most revolutions, this set is starting in the outlying cities and towns. Tunisia's definitely did, and I've seen arguments that the coup in Egypt started in Suez. Libya's certainly didn't start in Tripoli.

Of course, the taking of the major cities is the biggest headline and the endgame for the revolution, but I just wanted to point out that the self-immolation that kicked this whole thing off didn't happen in Tunis.

As for this not happening in our lifetimes, I can't say that I'm surprised. The powers that be have shit all over the world for decades now. Gaddafi, Mubarak and Ben Ali were all Western friends accustomed to abusing their people. That's unsustainable, and fortunately it's over. You also can't pump BILLIONS of dollars directly into the markets and expect nothing to happen: the IMF basically implicated US monetary policy in regard to worldwide inflationary pressure in a recent report. I quote:

With inflationary expectations well anchored, accommodative monetary policy in major advanced economies remains appropriate for now. High unemployment and large output gaps are keeping wages and inflation expectations in the major advanced economies in check, notwithstanding large increases in food and energy prices. Continuing monetary policy accommodation is thus the right policy from a domestic perspective, considering also that the recovery is expected to remain sluggish going forward. From an external perspective, however, there is concern that quantitative easing in the United States could result in a flood of capital. In economies where recovery is already well established, policymakers will need to pay increasing attention to building inflationary pressure. Central banks should continue to stand ready to address liquidity problems in the banking sector, particularly in the euro area.

Commodities are skyrocketing, meaning everything is getting more expensive by the day. Libya's oil issues are exacerbating that problem (every cent rise in oil prices is 600m in US citizen spending).

That recovery, "Win the Future" garbage is going nowhere, friends. We are totally, completely fucked.

OK, we now know that the troubles in Libya is caused by Al-Qaida (with the assistance of the US and the West), who have handed out pills to young people causing them to act out against their true leaders.

He was just on Al-Arabiya, highlights follow:

Heh. Forgot about that guy in Iraq. :)

The BBC is saying that a city west of Tripoli has fallen to the protestors. That's very interesting. And battles going on in another city Zawiya.

Libyan TV has said that they are offering an amnesty to protestors. Obviously scared. :) But also offering money to people to betray protestors.

Tunisia That was interesting.

Tunisians are eager for information about the experience of transition and political development elsewhere around the world, but again and again they told me of their strong pride in what their country achieved without outside help.

It would certainly be better for Libya to get Gadaffi out without outside intervention. They seem to be moving in that direction.

Latest rumor is the Gaddafi is getting ready to fly out with his gold bullion.

Remember kids, you can't eat gold! It's not worth anything!

Remember kids, you can't eat gold! It's not worth anything!

I totally agree with this. To help fellow boarders that for some reason own this dangerous material, please ship it all to me and I'll dispose of it in a safe manner.

OK, we now know that the troubles in Libya is caused by Al-Qaida (with the assistance of the US and the West), who have handed out pills to young people causing them to act out against their true leaders.

I heard about this on NPR this morning. lol

And I thought AQ were the bad guys. Where can I get some of these awesome pills?

On the corner of Shari Al Jala and Al Khalij Al Arabi St in Benghazi. Ask for Mr Wadoud.

+10000

Okay, not sure if someone posted this, but this is the best quote from Gaddafi yet.

Gaddafi, who just two days ago vowed in a televised address to crush the revolt and fight to the last, showed none of the fist-thumping rage of that speech.

This time, he spoke to state television by telephone without appearing in person, and his tone seemed more conciliatory.

"Their ages are 17. They give them pills at night, they put hallucinatory pills in their drinks, their milk, their coffee, their Nescafe," Gaddafi said.

WHO BE PUTTIN PILLZ IN MY NES CAFE

So what is happening in Bahrain? It seems to have dropped off the radar (and the OP).

So what is happening in Bahrain? It seems to have dropped off the radar (and the OP).

You know what's interesting about this? What's happening in Tunisia? What's happening in Yemen?

My point being that this cascade of different nations all having major stuff go down has made it really challenging for both the media and individuals to keep track of. I understand why Egypt and Libya trump places like Bahrain and Tunisia from a new standpoint, but put it this way. If nothing else was going on in the middle east we'd still be hearing about Tunisia, but now we're hearing virtually nothing other than how it helped kick off other things.

A map. Finally. Gives an idea of where the focus is on. Sirte is Gaddafi's home town. That's why its still under his control. The fighting in Zawiya and Misrata on either side of Tripoli is key right now.

Interesting that there was a meeting in al-Bayda today of the anti-Gaddafi protestors. The former Justice Minister was prominent. Perhaps we have finally a face of the possible new regime.

There seems to be stalemate in Bahrain. 100,000 protestors on Tuesday. Given the population is supposed to be 600,000 that's just ridiculous.

The wikipedia page on Libyan protests has an interesting map too, although it seems to have been made by a non-journalist 'aggregator' if you will. Its a little bit of a mess, but shows Misrata as liberated. Maybe the situation there is in flux.