Maester’s Path Experience from HBO

Westeros

A couple of months back, Linda and I were asked to get in touch with HBO’s marketing team on something cool they were working on, which was our first hint that… well, something cool was up that wasn’t just Game of Thrones. It was all very mysterious, but two months later, here we are, the honored recipients of “the first link in the Maester’s Path”. In the jargon of the marketing industry, this is apparently called an interactive multi.part marketing initiative, but we just call it awesome. Although a snafu on our end led to a day’s delay in receiving the package, we came to it quite fresh. See below for video and images as we discuss the package, as well as links to other reactions from across the web (and from some unexpected quarters).

read on >>>

Visit the Site!

Just watched J.C. Huchins' videos where he opens up his box and mixes the scents - really fun stuff. He does a good job of explaining the olfactory sensation of it and is genuinely excited by it all.

I guess I fail at undererstanding marketing. :(

This project is to butter up critics and such, is my understanding, and probably won't be the only effort to that end. Those people, entertainment press, will be the ones who will then be expected (or hoped for) to market the show to audiences (giving boxes to Ran and the guys who run the other ASoIaF-centric sites is obviously unnecessary, but just a nice gesture on HBO's part). Selling this product to consumers probably isn't going to do much for marketing, since the only people likely to buy it will be people obsessed with the books and waiting expectantly for the show. Even out of that group, I don't know that many would be willing to pay that much for this stuff.

This project is to butter up critics and such, is my understanding, and probably won't be the only effort to that end. Those people, entertainment press, will be the ones who will then be expected (or hoped for) to market the show to audiences (giving boxes to Ran and the guys who run the other ASoIaF-centric sites is obviously unnecessary, but just a nice gesture on HBO's part). Selling this product to consumers probably isn't going to do much for marketing, since the only people likely to buy it will be people obsessed with the books and waiting expectantly for the show. Even out of that group, I don't know that many would be willing to pay that much for this stuff.

Ok. I can see that. I just want something cooler than the t-shirts they are selling (which I didn't like)

Archived