[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Tyrion 1 - Spoilers for ADWD

Jon Targaryen

Tyrion drank his way across the ocean. It was a red Dornish wine he drank. He spent most of the trip in a drunken haze; alternately chugging the wine and then throwing it back up. He spends the entire time below-decks with a boy whose job it is to clean up after the dwarf. Tyrion muses that he would like to be taken to Dorne so that he could help Myrcella claim the Iron Throne. He then considers going North to the Wall, but is daunted by the cold and the Night's Watch vows (primarily the chastity part). At this point Tyrion is still ignorant that Stannis has gone North.

Soon, it becomes obvious that they are taking him to the Free Cities, but which one Tyrion does not know. Tyrion mentions that each city has it's own dialect which is gradually becoming it's own language. He mentions that there are nine of them. The words "wherever whores go" continually rings through his head. He seems obsessed by phrase and the question.

Tyrion thinks back on his escape from King's Landing and Varys is heard to say that Tyrion now knows what Tywin was. From this we can deduce exactly what we thought all along: Varys showed Tyrion the passages leading to Tywin's room so as to cause a rift between Tyrion and the rest of the Lannister family.

At the end of the journey, a drunk and bewildered, Tyrion is shoved into a wine cask which is then sealed. The cask is rolled off the boat and then rolled to Illyrio's manor. By the time the wine arrives, Tyrion is bruised and dazed from his journey. Illyrio, himself, opens the wine cask to let Tyrion out.

"Oh, look, a drunk dwarf" Illyrio says.

"Oh, look, a rotting sea cow." Replies Tyrion.

Illyrio mentions that he likes Tyrion's insolence. In their discussion he uses the phrase "just so" several times. This caused me to pine for one of my favorite characters Syrio Forel. Illyrio welcomes Tyrion to the Free City of Pentos. It is mentioned that Tyrion can speak High Valyerion.

Tyrion is brought to a room where he can sleep off the effects of the wine and generally recover from his ordeal. When he awakes, he finds a blonde girl attending to him. She can speak the Westerosi tongue and dutifully bathes him. After this, Tyrion decides to explore Illyrio's estate. He finds Illyrio's wine cellars, first, and heads straight for the 'good stuff'. He opens a bottle and takes it out into the gardens. Tyrion sees guards around the estate and one of the descriptions shows that Illyrio 'employs' Unsullied.

During his exploration he comes across a washer-woman hanging clothes on a clothesline. She does not respond to him and so Tyrion guesses that she cannot speak Westerosi. He speaks to her anyway, musing about his options. He feels that he cannot stay here, but the Wall is cold and dangerous, and the situation in Dorne too unpredictable. The washer-woman ignores him and then leaves Tyrion to his own amusements.

Tyrion then makes his way back to the manor and is met by Illyrio. Tyrion is struck by how fat Illyrio is. Illyrio begins their conversation by telling Tyrion about the blonde girl and is surprised to find that Tyrion is not interested in bedding her. He mentions that the girl was purchased from the King and, as he knows, can speak Westerosi. She is from Lys, where they teach the art of love.

Illyrio tells Tyrion about the situation in the slave states but carefully avoids mentioning anything about Dany. Illyrio begins to go through Tyrion's options, telling Tyrion that Stannis is at the wall - a fact that surprises Tyrion greatly. The Wall was an unfavorable location to begin with but now that Tyrion knows Stannis is there he rules that out as a safe haven. Illyrio then proceeds to argue against him going to Dorne, explaining that Doran Martell might be a bit upset about Oberyn's death and Lannister rule in general. They both agree that Dorne is too risky a gamble. Tyrion then shrugs, thinking that Illyrio means to keep him in Pentos.

When Illyrio mentions forcing the Lannister's off the Iron Throne, Tyrion objects saying that he is still a Lion. Illyrio scoffs, saying that the Westerosi sew animals to their clothing and then take them over-seriously. Illyrio says that the Prince of Pentos owns a real pride of lions and that if Tyrion wishes Illyrio will bring him to them. Tyrion declines, thinking that this is a veiled threat to feed him to those lions.

The Prince of Pentos, Illyrio says, has sex with a virgin maid of the fields and a virgin maid of the seas every spring - in order to ensure good crops and favorable weather. If either of these fail, a war/drought/plague/flood, the Prince of Pentos has his throat slit.

At the end of Tyrion's PoV, Illyrio says that Tyrion has one other option. An option further to the east…

Originally posted by Trebla

Lord of House Mata

(9/4/01 12:57:18 pm)

Tyrion Chapter: "He drank his way across the Narrow Sea" Nuff said! He thinks about where to go, noting that Janos Slynt is on the Wal and Doran Martell might send him to KL. Throughout the chapter, he thinks and speak aloud "Where do whores go?" He's put in barrell and delivered to Illyrio where he finds out he is in Pentos. During his 1st conversation with Illyrio, it is mentioned that slavery has been outlawed in Pentos by Braavos. Another thing noted is that Tywin detested what he called, " Spice Princes and Cheese Lords." While walking Illyrios' grounds, he notes Cherry trees and Eunichs with spiked helmets standing guard on the other side of the wall. The maid/whore that is sent to Tyrion learned the art of love in Lys. During his dinner with Illyrio, Tyrion discovers that Cersei has offered a Lordship for whomever gets her Tyrion. Their conversation steers toward Tyrion's claim of Casterly Rock. Illyrio noted that Stannis is on the Wall and Tyrion knows that Stannis would behead him for Kinslaying. Illyrio also notes that Doran Martell rules Dorne and that Tyrion would not know how he would be welcomed. The chapter end with Illyrio telling Tyrion that the road to Casterly Rock leads east, where there is a 3 Headed Dragon.

• 4 weeks later...
The chapter end with Illyrio telling Tyrion that the road to Casterly Rock leads east, where there is a 3 Headed Dragon.

whoa, one more hint that Tyrion may be Aerys's bastard, and not a true Lannister ...

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a couple of these chapters on GRRM's website, but there's quite a few more listed here...where would one find them (the summary is great, but knowing what happens takes some of the fun out of reading his actual work).

The chapter end with Illyrio telling Tyrion that the road to Casterly Rock leads east, where there is a 3 Headed Dragon.

I think this is interesting. If Tyrion gains Dany's ear, he, along with Barristan, may become the bridge between Jon and Dany. I say this because Jon and Tyrion became pretty good friends in AGoT. Barristan, of couse, was at the council meeting where Ned resigned as Hand to protest Robert's order to assassinate Dany, so he certainly has some nice things to say about the Starks.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading these spoiler chapters, things are starting to get more interesting. One of my favorite characters, Tyrion especially, is shown in the Free Cities now. I hope we don't have to wait to long to see what Tyrion, Dany, and Varys cook up in the future!

I definately want to see Barristan and Tyrion's confrontation too. Joffrey, being a Lannister, was the one that expelled Barristan from the Kingsguard in the first place. Interesting indeed. :D

• 2 weeks later...
whoa, one more hint that Tyrion may be Aerys's bastard, and not a true Lannister ...

Are you sure? I may have misread that part but it appears to me that Tyrion is clearly a *pure* Lannister - that's at least from what we learn in "A Feast for Crows" when Jaime talks with his aunt. If, and only IF I read this part correctly.

Well, doesn't matter all that much. :)

I think this is interesting. If Tyrion gains Dany's ear, he, along with Barristan, may become the bridge between Jon and Dany. I say this because Jon and Tyrion became pretty good friends in AGoT. Barristan, of couse, was at the council meeting where Ned resigned as Hand to protest Robert's order to assassinate Dany, so he certainly has some nice things to say about the Starks.

Oh wow, I never thought of it that way! Haha, if Ned resigning as Hand over Dany's safety leads to Jon Snow and Dany on the Iron Throne, Ned would have fulfilled his promise to Lyanna thrice over :-D

I <3 Selmy, I hope he doesn't discredit Tyrion based on prejudices like everyone else seems to.

Oh, and now that I think about it, it is pretty obvious that Varys would take Tyrion to Illyrio, given their clandestine meeting in the Red Keep that Arya overheard in AGOT. And yet, I'm still kind of awed b/c that seed was sown FOUR BOOKS AGO! (sigh) ahh, i love GRRM.

Tyrion drank his way across the ocean. It was a red Dornish wine he drank. He spent most of the trip in a drunken haze; alternately chugging the wine and then throwing it back up. He spends the entire time below-decks with a boy whose job it is to clean up after the dwarf. Tyrion muses that he would like to be taken to Dorne so that he could help Myrcella claim the Iron Throne. He then considers going North to the Wall, but is daunted by the cold and the Night's Watch vows (primarily the chastity part). At this point Tyrion is still ignorant that Stannis has gone North.

Soon, it becomes obvious that they are taking him to the Free Cities, but which one Tyrion does not know. Tyrion mentions that each city has it's own dialect which is gradually becoming it's own language. He mentions that there are nine of them. The words "wherever whores go" continually rings through his head. He seems obsessed by phrase and the question.

Tyrion thinks back on his escape from King's Landing and Varys is heard to say that Tyrion now knows what Tywin was. From this we can deduce exactly what we thought all along: Varys showed Tyrion the passages leading to Tywin's room so as to cause a rift between Tyrion and the rest of the Lannister family.

At the end of the journey, a drunk and bewildered, Tyrion is shoved into a wine cask which is then sealed. The cask is rolled off the boat and then rolled to Illyrio's manor. By the time the wine arrives, Tyrion is bruised and dazed from his journey. Illyrio, himself, opens the wine cask to let Tyrion out.

"Oh, look, a drunk dwarf" Illyrio says.

"Oh, look, a rotting sea cow." Replies Tyrion.

Illyrio mentions that he likes Tyrion's insolence. In their discussion he uses the phrase "just so" several times. This caused me to pine for one of my favorite characters Syrio Forel. Illyrio welcomes Tyrion to the Free City of Pentos. It is mentioned that Tyrion can speak High Valyerion.

Tyrion is brought to a room where he can sleep off the effects of the wine and generally recover from his ordeal. When he awakes, he finds a blonde girl attending to him. She can speak the Westerosi tongue and dutifully bathes him. After this, Tyrion decides to explore Illyrio's estate. He finds Illyrio's wine cellars, first, and heads straight for the 'good stuff'. He opens a bottle and takes it out into the gardens. Tyrion sees guards around the estate and one of the descriptions shows that Illyrio 'employs' Unsullied.

During his exploration he comes across a washer-woman hanging clothes on a clothesline. She does not respond to him and so Tyrion guesses that she cannot speak Westerosi. He speaks to her anyway, musing about his options. He feels that he cannot stay here, but the Wall is cold and dangerous, and the situation in Dorne too unpredictable. The washer-woman ignores him and then leaves Tyrion to his own amusements.

Tyrion then makes his way back to the manor and is met by Illyrio. Tyrion is struck by how fat Illyrio is. Illyrio begins their conversation by telling Tyrion about the blonde girl and is surprised to find that Tyrion is not interested in bedding her. He mentions that the girl was purchased from the King and, as he knows, can speak Westerosi. She is from Lys, where they teach the art of love.

Illyrio tells Tyrion about the situation in the slave states but carefully avoids mentioning anything about Dany. Illyrio begins to go through Tyrion's options, telling Tyrion that Stannis is at the wall - a fact that surprises Tyrion greatly. The Wall was an unfavorable location to begin with but now that Tyrion knows Stannis is there he rules that out as a safe haven. Illyrio then proceeds to argue against him going to Dorne, explaining that Doran Martell might be a bit upset about Oberyn's death and Lannister rule in general. They both agree that Dorne is too risky a gamble. Tyrion then shrugs, thinking that Illyrio means to keep him in Pentos.

When Illyrio mentions forcing the Lannister's off the Iron Throne, Tyrion objects saying that he is still a Lion. Illyrio scoffs, saying that the Westerosi sew animals to their clothing and then take them over-seriously. Illyrio says that the Prince of Pentos owns a real pride of lions and that if Tyrion wishes Illyrio will bring him to them. Tyrion declines, thinking that this is a veiled threat to feed him to those lions.

The Prince of Pentos, Illyrio says, has sex with a virgin maid of the fields and a virgin maid of the seas every spring - in order to ensure good crops and favorable weather. If either of these fail, a war/drought/plague/flood, the Prince of Pentos has his throat slit.

At the end of Tyrion's PoV, Illyrio says that Tyrion has one other option. An option further to the east…

Originally posted by Trebla

Lord of House Mata

(9/4/01 12:57:18 pm)

Tyrion Chapter: "He drank his way across the Narrow Sea" Nuff said! He thinks about where to go, noting that Janos Slynt is on the Wal and Doran Martell might send him to KL. Throughout the chapter, he thinks and speak aloud "Where do whores go?" He's put in barrell and delivered to Illyrio where he finds out he is in Pentos. During his 1st conversation with Illyrio, it is mentioned that slavery has been outlawed in Pentos by Braavos. Another thing noted is that Tywin detested what he called, " Spice Princes and Cheese Lords." While walking Illyrios' grounds, he notes Cherry trees and Eunichs with spiked helmets standing guard on the other side of the wall. The maid/whore that is sent to Tyrion learned the art of love in Lys. During his dinner with Illyrio, Tyrion discovers that Cersei has offered a Lordship for whomever gets her Tyrion. Their conversation steers toward Tyrion's claim of Casterly Rock. Illyrio noted that Stannis is on the Wall and Tyrion knows that Stannis would behead him for Kinslaying. Illyrio also notes that Doran Martell rules Dorne and that Tyrion would not know how he would be welcomed. The chapter end with Illyrio telling Tyrion that the road to Casterly Rock leads east, where there is a 3 Headed Dragon.

• 1 month later...
...The words "wherever whores go" continually rings through his head. He seems obsessed by phrase and the question...

Tyrion is looking for Tysha? I always thought that was what he was going to end up doing after he left KL, before I read these chapters anyway. The big problem is that he would have to think of Tysha as a whore, which I seriously doubt he does. Perhaps in his drunken state he only recalls what he last saw of her...?

• 3 weeks later...
I don't like how this transitions to the next spoiler. I hope GRRM explains HOW Tyrion goes from being a stalwart Lannister to not.

He did explain it.

There was trial, and everyone blamed him. Then there was taking his right from him (Casterly rock). And in the end only thing he liked about his family was his brother Jamie, and even him betrayed Tyrion.

But maybe this is just first reaction on latest events. Maybe in some time, when dany invades, he will pass over that events, and try to save Jamie.

He did explain it.

There was trial, and everyone blamed him. Then there was taking his right from him (Casterly rock). And in the end only thing he liked about his family was his brother Jamie, and even him betrayed Tyrion.

But maybe this is just first reaction on latest events. Maybe in some time, when dany invades, he will pass over that events, and try to save Jamie.

Sorry, i was referring to the Tyrion 2 spoiler.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived