[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Tyrion 1 - Spoilers for ADWD

Jon Targaryen

• 7 months later...
''Hannibal: I AM FROM SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO (HERCEG NOVI) .... SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH :(''

DOBRO! Ja uc^im Hrvatski. Ja c'u putovati u Hrvatsku na Travanj. Ali jos^ los^i je moj hrvatski ;)

Bit ce bolje. Bit ce bolje ;)

• 2 months later...

A question.... I've been following GRRM's website for a while now, and yesterday, I saw something I'd never seen before. Yes, I am new to this board, and this is my first post, but I did search and wasn't able to find an answer before posing this question here:

The 'ice and fire sample' (at http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html) now appears to be 'Danerys 1' when previously it had been 'Tyrion 1.' Tyrion 1 is still posted at http://www.georgerrmartin.com/chapter.html, however.

So, two newbie questions:

1) Has this swapping of teaser chapters on GRRM's website happened before?

2) What can it possibly mean? Is he going to rewrite the Tyrion 1 chapter?

I can't say that he won't change the Tyrion 1 chapter but he said on his blog a few weeks ago or maybe even a month or more ago that he was going to change the sample chapter on his website so I don't think that that is anything odd.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
A question.... I've been following GRRM's website for a while now, and yesterday, I saw something I'd never seen before. Yes, I am new to this board, and this is my first post, but I did search and wasn't able to find an answer before posing this question here:

The 'ice and fire sample' (at http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html) now appears to be 'Danerys 1' when previously it had been 'Tyrion 1.' Tyrion 1 is still posted at http://www.georgerrmartin.com/chapter.html, however.

Thank you for posting this link. I have read the Daenerys chapter and the Jon chapter, but somehow, have missed the Tyrion chapter a number of times. Again, my thanks!

• 3 months later...

After reading the chapter on the web site it sounds illyrio knows who the three heads of the dragon are, and if he knows I'm guessing varys knows to. Sounds like that the mystery of who are the three heads will be revealed in ADWD, from reading the last quote from Illyrio he did not say dany had three dragons he said the dragon had three heads.

It is unclear from the first Tyrion chapter but taking into account the second chapter as well it indeed seem that Illirio thinks that he knows all three dragon heads. Then we have somebody who is gentler then Stannis, somebody who is stronger then Tommen and somebody who has better claim then Myrcella. If Illirio was talking about three different persons here and taking into account that he later said that he doesn’t know Daenerys she must be the third since she is apparently has better claim then Myrcella. But then who is stronger and who is gentler? Daenerys actions as queen were so far not very gentle. In order to say such a thing Illirio must know the person he was talking about pretty well. Stronger then Tommen does not give much clue however…

The only problem is that Illirio’s three heard aren’t necessary true three heads but if the interpretation of that he said is right then we will learn whom he had in mind while talking to Tyrion.

Another interesting thing – Illirio apparently testing Tyrion and he gives him only clues. A lot of them actually but no direct answers – just a way to figure out things later.

After reading the chapter on the web site it sounds illyrio knows who the three heads of the dragon are, and if he knows I'm guessing varys knows to. Sounds like that the mystery of who are the three heads will be revealed in ADWD, from reading the last quote from Illyrio he did not say dany had three dragons he said the dragon had three heads.

Illirio thinks that he knows. But Rhaegar thought that he knew as well and he apparently was wrong at least partially. For the rest I agree we most probably will encounter other heads in ADWD and perhaps more the tow candidates.

It is unclear from the first Tyrion chapter but taking into account the second chapter as well it indeed seem that Illirio thinks that he knows all three dragon heads. Then we have somebody who is gentler then Stannis, somebody who is stronger then Tommen and somebody who has better claim then Myrcella. If Illirio was talking about three different persons here and taking into account that he later said that he doesn’t know Daenerys she must be the third since she is apparently has better claim then Myrcella. But then who is stronger and who is gentler? Daenerys actions as queen were so far not very gentle. In order to say such a thing Illirio must know the person he was talking about pretty well. Stronger then Tommen does not give much clue however…

Say what?? I think it's fairly obvious that "is gentler then Stannis, somebody who is stronger then Tommen and somebody who has better claim then Myrcella" bit is Illirio refering to Daenarys. She is gentler than Stannis, She does care for subjects, something Stannis don't. She's stronger than Tommen since she actually leads rather than being a puppet ruler. Finally, her claim is can obviously be seen as stronger than Myrcella with Dany being a trueborn Targ and Myrcella being an incetoues bastard.

It seems obvious all right but only before the second chapter where Illirio’s mention of three heads clearly implies three different peoples. He also admitted not knowing the queen. Stronger then Tommen is easy – it is not very difficult to be stronger then eight years old boy but gentler then Stannis? Dany was far from gentle when she ordered 163 men to be nailed alive to poles – something that Stannis had never done and something that Illirio most probably knows about. I also disagree that Stannis do not care about his subjects – he definitely does since this is king’s duty and Stannis is a very dutiful man.

So it is quite possible that in the first Tyrion’s chapter Illirio really was referring not only to Dany but to all three heads.

By the way there is a bit more then this. The prologue for AFFC was supposed to be prologue before the book was split in two. But then Tyrion’s first chapter was supposed to follow soon after prologue if not the first one. In the prologue Alleras said that dragon has three heads and he (she) definitely implies more then just sigil. Then Illirio says the same…

• 1 month later...

Illyrio doesn't know who the 3 heads of the Dragon are, he is just referring to the sigil of House Targareon (know I spelt that wrong thanks :P) It's clear from the context that he is referring to Daenyris as opposed to three different people and then he explains to Tyrion who it is by making reference to the Targereon's 3 headed dragon. Tyrion would then immediately know who Illyrio is referring to as there is Dany is the last Targareon!

• 4 months later...
It seems obvious all right but only before the second chapter where Illirio’s mention of three heads clearly implies three different peoples. He also admitted not knowing the queen. Stronger then Tommen is easy – it is not very difficult to be stronger then eight years old boy but gentler then Stannis? Dany was far from gentle when she ordered 163 men to be nailed alive to poles – something that Stannis had never done and something that Illirio most probably knows about. I also disagree that Stannis do not care about his subjects – he definitely does since this is king’s duty and Stannis is a very dutiful man.

So it is quite possible that in the first Tyrion’s chapter Illirio really was referring not only to Dany but to all three heads.

By the way there is a bit more then this. The prologue for AFFC was supposed to be prologue before the book was split in two. But then Tyrion’s first chapter was supposed to follow soon after prologue if not the first one. In the prologue Alleras said that dragon has three heads and he (she) definitely implies more then just sigil. Then Illirio says the same…

I quote: "Another. Stronger than Tommen, gentler than Stannis, with a better claim than the girl Myrcella. A savior come from across the sea to bind up the wounds of bleeding Westeros."

How can he possibly be talking about 3 persons in this sentence?

No idea how Daenerys would treat Tyrion though. Biggest problem I see is him being a Lannister and Daenerys has no love for lions, wolves nor stags. Him being convicted for killing Joffrey, and killing Tywin could soften her perhaps although I doubt it. Personally I hope he doesn't send Tyrion to Daenerys because that should mean his death.

I think this is interesting. If Tyrion gains Dany's ear, he, along with Barristan, may become the bridge between Jon and Dany. I say this because Jon and Tyrion became pretty good friends in AGoT. Barristan, of couse, was at the council meeting where Ned resigned as Hand to protest Robert's order to assassinate Dany, so he certainly has some nice things to say about the Starks.

Viserys has told Daenerys many, many times about the betrayal of Baratheon and Stark. She holds no love for Starks.

Oh, and now that I think about it, it is pretty obvious that Varys would take Tyrion to Illyrio, given their clandestine meeting in the Red Keep that Arya overheard in AGOT. And yet, I'm still kind of awed b/c that seed was sown FOUR BOOKS AGO! (sigh) ahh, i love GRRM.

Uhm, what? He just sends him to a good friend in the Free Cities, one he trusts. I fail to see how this is a seed that was sown four books ago, but if you want to believe that "omg martin is a genious!! he shows Varys and Illyrio scheming in book 1 and now he sends Tyrion to Illyster, omg what a genial plan that is!! omg martin is a genious! woot woot" be my guest.

I quote: "Another. Stronger than Tommen, gentler than Stannis, with a better claim than the girl Myrcella. A savior come from across the sea to bind up the wounds of bleeding Westeros."

How can he possibly be talking about 3 persons in this sentence?

You’ve cut the quote – Illirio speaks about dragon with three heads but he definitely knows that they are three different peoples and he clearly implies it when he speaks about three heads in the next Tyrion’s chapter. So why would he in one place imply by dragon with three heads different people and on another place only Daenerys?

Archived