Merchandise and Banner Trademarks

Westeros

The Maester’s Path publicity campaign has led to quite a few remarks from people who suggest they’d love to own something like the maester’s kit and the scents it includes. While we’re fairly sure selling these packages to the mass market isn’t in the cards, we have had a report from someone visiting the HBO Shop which promises some more Game of Thrones goodness to come.

According to TigerLily1276, while there to pick up some Tru Blood a salesperson at the store excitedly told her about merchandise due in mid-March for the TV series. She reports that unisex t-shirts featuring each of the Great Houses (he apparently said seven, but I am unsure whether they’d highlight houses such as Tully, Tyrell, and Martell this firt season) as well as mugs or statues featuring sigils of each of the great houses. He gave a mid-March date, so if that pans out, we’ll have some interesting new things to oogle in a couple of weeks.

By sheer happenstance, a visit to the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office website for other reasons led me to check if there was anything new on the Game of Thrones front… and as it happens, there was. A brand new trademark application, dated February 11th, has been entered into the system raising the total marks related to the series to 18. This trademark is IC class 24, and covers, “Bed sheets, pillowcases, comforters, bedspreads, quilts, pillow shams, bed dust ruffles, bed skirts, duvet covers, comforter covers, bed throws, blanket throws, mattress pads, bed blankets, bed sheets; towels, bath towels, kitchen towels, washcloths; textile wall hangings; fabric banners; handkerchiefs; tablecloths, napkins and placemats.”

We admit that we’ve zeroed-in on the fabric banners and wall hangings part of this, because .... well, this is Westeros; banners and wall-hangings are common. And, as it happens, over the years of “A Song of Ice and Fire” fan-activity, banner have been one of the things most-requested from the fan base, leading fans to making their own for various occasions. Official banners featuring the gorgeous heraldry from the series would be just what a lot of fans might be hoping for.

Visit the Site!

I wonder if that patent is less about incoming merchandising, and more about companies duplicating the style of textiles from the show and marketing as "Westerosian Bed-set" and the like.

I must admit, the idea of having a full size House banner hanging on a wall in my house is pretty intriguing.

Someone may have sent HBO's marketing team a few ideas for products that people have seemed interested in in the past, and it may possibly kinda-sorta be that banners were specifically suggested...

[innocent whistle]

Someone may have sent HBO's marketing team a few ideas for products that people have seemed interested in in the past, and it may possibly kinda-sorta be that banners were specifically suggested...

[innocent whistle]

I am kind of torn, a Stark banner would be great, except for the apparent curse GRRM has laid upon them and that they are all but extinct...

Does the Night Watch have a banner, or just a black clock on a black field?

Archived