Fantasy and SF Recommendations: Obscure books and series

Angalin

The Dragon Never Sleeps probably edges it as my personal favorite but it is definitely awesome. Would actually be nice if they re printed it like they have done with alot of his older stuff.

TOR had a paperback reprint out...oh...2007ish? It disappeared pretty quick though.

The Dragon Never Sleeps probably edges it as my personal favorite but it is definitely awesome. Would actually be nice if they re printed it like they have done with alot of his older stuff.

The Dragon Never Sleeps is actually in print, from Nightshade, like most Cook's titles:

http://www.amazon.co...IN%3D1597801488

It is also my favorite Glen Cook novel, BTW.

Carthage? A Phonecian (SP) definately.

Likely under read because it's soooo dark, and it takes me, anyways, most of teh book before it's coolness sneaks up and ganks me.

Anything by Alexis Gilliland. Seriously. Fall of the Empire is so frikkin good. I mean, the head of the Imperial secret police undercover in a windbreaker with "Union Gestapo" on it?

The Wizenbeak trilogy, fantasy, again, so much fun, but so dark and, umm, mature. I really can't champion these books enough.

<p>

The Dragon Never Sleeps is actually in print, from Nightshade, like most Cook's titles:

http://www.amazon.co...IN%3D1597801488

It is also my favorite Glen Cook novel, BTW.

My mistake, my post was kind of confusing ( I blame lack of sleep ). I have The Dragon Never Sleeps from Nightshade ( I freaking love the cover btw ). I meant to say it would be nice if the reprinted Tower of Fear. Unless they have and I just completely missed it.

The Dragon Never Sleeps probably edges it as my personal favorite but it is definitely awesome. Would actually be nice if they re printed Tower of Fear like they have done with alot of his older stuff.Edited because me not so smart...

I like both the dragon never sleeps and tower of fear an awful lot, but do find some parts of dragon a bit slow, and the clones with independent storylines, on the first read, was a bit confusing. I have heard this complaint from others too.

• 5 weeks later...

The Star Rover by Jack London his only fantasy novel . It's about man name of Darrell Standing who is on death row and tied up in strait jacket . He discovers that he can Astral project himself into his past lives at will. It's not a well known book and it's unlike all of his other novels. It is truly epic in scope and scale. A journey across time space an history . It is a great read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive never read them, but Im going to ask if anyone has read David Gemmell's Trojan War Trilogy?

Id never heard of it, or indeed Gemmell as an author until stumbling upon a review on a SFbook website i frequent. I know now that Gemmell died prior to the final book being completed, so I was hoping someone might have read them all and give it a recommendation, Im just hsistant in buying into a series that he never finished. Although im aware his wife finshed the book for him after having the best part of it alread written and with descriptive notes.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend The Gone-Away World and Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. They're sort of science-fiction-y, not directly related to each other but set in the same universe (ours, but slightly askew). Really funny and scary and brilliant.

Also, Glass Books of the Dream Eaters & The Dark Volume by GW Dahlquist. They're steampunk fantasy for adults, really really REALLY good. Can't recommend them enough!

I highly recommend The Gone-Away World and Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. They're sort of science-fiction-y, not directly related to each other but set in the same universe (ours, but slightly askew). Really funny and scary and brilliant.

Those aren't exactly obscure around here ;)

Archived