TitanCon Belfast - Sat 24 Sept 2011

Coming to Belfast Northern Ireland on Saturday 24 September 2011

TitanCon

TitanCon - A science fiction and fantasy literature, media and gaming convention for Belfast Northern Ireland including panels on HBO and George RR Martin's Game of Thrones, organised and run by GRRM fangroup the Brotherhood Without Banners, Studio NI, Northern Ireland's largest arts and culture group, The Other Ones a Belfast science fiction and fantasy society, with gaming events run by Arkham Gaming Centre and TableTopNorth.

Our Guest of Honour is Ian McDonald, author of The Dervish House, winner of Best Novel at the British Science Fiction Awards and nominated for Best Novel at the Hugos and Locus Awards this year.

Game of Thrones guests

We can categorically and definitely state that there WILL be cast and crew members from Game of Thrones as guests at TitanCon 2011. We have two cast members confirmed in Miltos Yerolemou (Syrio Forel) and Kristian Nairn (Hodor). We have spoken with a whole bunch of cast members over the last month or two since the second season was confirmed by HBO and everyone is excited about the possibility of being at TitanCon, meeting the fans and discussing the show.

We have close to a dozen more guests that have said already yes in principle but we can't announce who just yet because we are waiting on the production team to finalise the Season Two filming schedule for 2011. Once that happens we can confirm who will be in Belfast and available on 24 September to come down and join us. We are working as hard as we can to get confirmation of who our guests will be and as soon as we know we will announce it everywhere as loudly as we can!

Film making workshops

Anyone with an interest in film making would be a fool to miss our TitanCon film making workshops including 99 Minute Film School presented by the founder of Raindance Film Festival Elliot Grove. We've got more workshops to be announced very soon.

Full membership to TitanCon is only £10!

Full details and membership available via our website www.titancon.com

Friday 23 September - Culture Night Belfast - FREE entry

Award winning novelist Ian McDonald reads excerpts from his Hugo-nominated novel The Dervish House. Ian will also be joined by fellow TitanCon author guests Peadar Ó Guilín and T.A. Moore who will be reading excerpts from their novels.

The venue for this event is McHughs Bar, we've hired the basement bar for the evening. This is the same veue where the BWB held Belfast Moot 1 in 2009. This event is also a celebration of Studio NI's 7th anniversary so we'll be partying quite late (though those of us getting up at 6 am to start work on TitanCon might be bowing out early).

Sunday 25 September - Game of Thrones Coach Tour - Tickets £28

Our special Sunday event is a coach tour visiting various locations used in the filming of Game of Thrones season one including Tollymore Forest, Inch Abbey, Audleys Castle and Castle Ward (Winterfell courtyard) where we will be hosting a medieval feast, archery workshop by the SCA and a LARP event run by LARPNI.

The tour begins at 10.15 am departing from the Europa Hotel in Belfast. We won't be back till 9 pm so make sure you can stick around all day because you really don't want to miss this!

See the full Coach Tour schedule for more details. Spaces are limited so please buy your tickets as soon as possible to avoid disappointment!

UPDATE: Coach Tour is now SOLD OUT

Guestlist:

Ian McDonald

Elliot Grove - found of Raindance ~ 99 Minute Film School

Miltos Yerolemou ~ Syrio Forel

Kristian Nairn ~ Hodor

George Clarke

Peadar Ó Guilín

T.A. Moore

Paddy Brown

Andy Luke

you certainly picked one hell of a fine day to bury the announcement on LordGoat... :wacko:

maybe try and get the announcement front-paged again next week when all this hulabaloo over some book-or-other dies down?

anyways, as stated in our Mootlet thread, mark me down as a member attendee

(if you do manage to organise whatever it is that you are organising for the Sunday after TitanCon (can we not call the Friday night TitanMoot???), try and plan on announcing it not on the day the next book in the series is given a release date or a feature trailer for the show is aired, eh?)

oh, and don't do it on the 17th/18th April either... I'm washing my hair that evenin' :rolleyes:

The worst thing is I had a feeling that was going to happen and I even thought 'maybe we should wait a few days just in case.' Doh!

But never mind we have plenty of time to spread the word and many exciting announcements still to come. For example we are getting close to revealing details about our Friday night event. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone else is intending to be in Belfast for TitanCon or if you're just considering the idea or even if your attendance would be purely conditional upon us having a specific actor as a guest then please do post here and tell us all about it.

I know right now the guest list is kind of slim but just registering your interest by posting here could help us towards securing cast and crew members as guests once season 2 is greenlit. The more interest we can generate the higher the chances of success.

Also if anyone from the BWB is willing to offer their help as a volunteer we would really appreciate it. We need a lot of manpower to put this convention on and need as many pairs of hands as we can get. There are jobs on offer as team leaders, organisers and decision makers, its not just lifting and carrying stuff! This is very much our convention so please lend a hand if you can :)

I have the time off booked now, so you can put me down as a definite, and for volunteering for whatever may be needed.

As for specific actors, I guess there's no chance of getting Sean Bean? ;)

Edit: I've just bought my membership as well

• 3 weeks later...

Our first Game of Thrones cast member confirmed as a guest for TitanCon 2011 is Kristian Nairn who plays the role of Hodor in the HBO TV series. Already a firm favourite with the fans thanks to his appearances at Octocon and Belfast Moot 2 in 2010 he will be a giant presence at TitanCon. Fortunatly for us he says a lot more in person than just "Hodor".

We are confident that Kristian won't be the last guest from the show too. We are offering an open invitation to any cast or crew member from Game of Thrones to come down and be our guest at TitanCon 2011 (do please get in touch with us guys). For more information about the possibilities of further cast or crew members from the show being guests at TitanCon please read the Game of Thrones section of our Guests page for the full story.

The main cost you can expect is getting yourself there and staying in a hotel. See our Hotels page for details on that. Accommodation costs can be offset by sharing a room with a friend.

TitanCon is a very reasonably priced convention at just £10 GBP, that's $16.31 US (at current exchange rate). For that you get access to the convention itself, all the discussion panels, the exhibition centre, any and all events including the Saturday evening party.

We are still working on plans for Sunday 25 September, it is taking a while to get those hammered out, but if we can pull it off then Game of Thrones fans will definitely not want to miss it. I can tell you that the Sunday thing will be a separate event not included in the TitanCon membership and could well cost quite a lot more than £10 but don't worry it won't break the bank.

Other than that you'll need money for food, drinks, any books/toys/games/t-shirts/jewellery/posters/direwolf puppies that you wish to buy from the dealers room.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and hope to see you there :)

[please note there will not be any real direwolf puppies for sale, sorry]

I have never been to a convention of any sort (willingly, anyway), but I was just thinking about going to Ireland in September. What should I expect in terms of cost (US dollars)?

Worth looking at the price of airline tickets also just to see what you are getting yourself into. That's likely to be the big cost item for you. Continental fly direct to Belfast from the US, so that would be the most convenient for you. But if that looks expensive, you can look at flights to Dublin also. Dublin Airport is 2 to 2.5 hours away by bus but it can sometimes be a lot cheaper because there are more services from the US.

I have never been to a convention of any sort (willingly, anyway), but I was just thinking about going to Ireland in September. What should I expect in terms of cost (US dollars)?

Depends in part of the county you're leaving from - if you're going from a metro area that has direct or one-change flights, and you book early, you could get a coach seat RT for under $1k or less. You have time to build up some frequent flier miles, or if you have a family member who racks up a lot of points because they are always traveling for work, etc., but rarely have time to 'spend' them, you could ask for some help, maybe work out that she 'buys' you a ticket, you give her proper consideration, and bring her home a lovely thank you gift.

What you've got in your favor is that late September is going in to a lower level season of travel/to from the USA/Ireland until the winter holidays (and forgive me if I presume that you live in the USA, your profile does not mention where you live), and the planes will have some empty seats. They've gotten 'way too efficient with figuring out how many planes to fly to any city in any given month, so there's fewer last minute deals and fewer frequent flier seats to be had, but bargains can be found.

Most importantly, you should decide how much time you want to be in Ireland, be flexible with the dates - flying on Tuesday and Wednesdays are often cheaper - as well as the length of time you stay, arriving/departing two days early or three days later than your target dates , even figuring in your daily expenses, (and a few splurges), might be a big saver. For best savings and planning out your trip, you should start putting together your plans and getting the international travel dates fixed and the tickets bought and paid for. You can fill in the blanks later.

Archived