TitanCon Belfast - Sat 24 Sept 2011

Yup - totally concur with Peadar & Samantha.

As someone who works in Belfast, and knows it fairly well, let me put some context on these 'riots' .... essentially they took place on one part of one street. Coming to Belfast as a visitor, you are probably going to stick pretty much to the City Centre and maybe do a few of the tourist trips. The area where these recent troubles took place is a fair distance from the City Centre and would have zero impact on you having a good time in what is becoming quite a cool little town to visit & have a good time.

Also, please bear in mind that you heard all about these 'riots' in the media ... and as we all know, the media is generally well known for being balanced, sane, objective - and in no way known for blowing things out of proportion for the sake of speculation. <_<

Seriously Adz - don't let these isolated incidents out you off visiting Belfast. It's a great wee town, everyone is pretty friendly and you'll have a blast - of the nice kind, I hasten to add :rolleyes:

Thanks Peadar, Sam and Giant. :kiss:

Your putting my mind at ease. :) Or something. ;)

It was just so odd to hear anything about riots there when I hadn't heard about it for years.

I do intent to stay in the city centre area and not look for trouble. :smoking:

Looking forward to meeting you all. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the board. Let's answer your questions:

Thanks for the reply to those questions.

Without trying to spark a big debate I know I (for one)would be willing to pay a little extra for professional photoshoots and if someone like Peter Dinklage or Lena Headey (for example)were to turn up I would be willing to pay something for an autograph...

Maybe a special autograph package where you pay an extra £30 (or whatever) and get autographs from all guests...

I'm sure you've already considered this stuff anyway.

Looking forward to September .. Winter is coming.

Announcement regarding our Friday and Sunday events for TitanCon!

Friday 23 September - Culture Night Belfast - FREE entry

Award winning novelist Ian McDonald reads excerpts from his Hugo-nominated novel The Dervish House. Ian will also be joined by fellow TitanCon author guests Peadar Ó Guilín and T.A. Moore who will be reading excerpts from their novels.

The venue for this event is McHughs Bar, we've hired the basement bar for the evening. This is the same veue where the BWB held Belfast Moot 1 in 2009. This event is also a celebration of Studio NI's 7th anniversary so we'll be partying quite late (though those of us getting up at 6 am to start work on TitanCon might be bowing out early).

Sunday 25 September - Game of Thrones Coach Tour - Tickets £28

Our special Sunday event is a coach tour visiting various locations used in the filming of Game of Thrones season one including Tollymore Forest, Inch Abbey, Audleys Castle and Castle Ward (Winterfell courtyard) where we will be hosting a medieval feast, archery workshop by the SCA and a LARP event run by LARPNI.

The tour begins at 10.15 am departing from the Europa Hotel in Belfast. We won't be back till 9 pm so make sure you can stick around all day because you really don't want to miss this!

See the full Coach Tour schedule for more details. Spaces are limited so please buy your tickets as soon as possible to avoid disappointment!

Looking good lordGoat, looking good...

From January to end of April time, I just didn't think the tour idea was going to be possible to arrange, so big kudos to the guys (and gals) who've done the real hard work organising.

Doubt I'll be going on the tour however, having been lucky enough to live in the area and have seen some of the sites in general public or as actual working sets for the show.

As I do live fairly local though, would it be possible to call up and take part in the feast at the end of the evening if I was willing to pay my way at a reduced rate?

There doesn't seem to be an option on the website to just buy a coach ticket - I've already got my membership, so I don't want to have to buy another one in order to get the coach ticket.

Just click the "buy now" button underneath the Coach Tour listing. Fill in the form with just your name and the coach tour details, I will match it up to the details we already have on file about you.

This information is on the page, in the block of text above the membership form, to the left of the paypal buttons ;)

Apologies to anyone that has been trying to buy full membership to TitanCon since yesterday, I messed the form up so it would only add Coach Tour tickets when you clicked the membership button. Sorry about that.

But it's fixed now and definitely working so please try again. Thank you.

Right time to announce more Game of Thrones guests for TitanCon. This time we have two people from the production crew because the people behind the camera are just as important as those in front of it.

William Simpson ~ Storyboard Artist

William Simpson is a storyboard artist working on HBO's Game of Thrones, but he is far better known as a comic artist and illustrator. Over his 30 year career Will has worked for all the major comic houses: Dark Horse, DC, Vertigo, Marvel and 2000AD.

In recent years Will has concentrated primarily on illustration and filmmaking and has drawn storyboards for films including Breakfast on Pluto, Closing the Ring, Reign of Fire, City of Ember and Your Highness. Many of these were filmed in Belfast and this has naturally lead to Game of Thrones. William was at Belfast Moot 2 and we are very pleased to say he will be joining us again at TitanCon.

Maria Moore ~ Hair & make-up

Maria Moore is one of the talented team members of the Hair Department on HBO's Game of Thrones. Maria has over 20 years experience in hair and make-up design having spent 14 years in London's West End including big theatre productions such as Mamma Mia, Cats and Evita. Maria also has extensive TV credits including Children in Need, The Generation Game, Big Breakfast, GMTV, BBC Newsline as well as Film credits including Your Highness and City of Ember.

At TitanCon 2011 Maria will lead a Workshop in Make-up for Stage and Screen as part of our series of Film Making Workshops. Please note that this workshop is not specifically about Game of Thrones though Maria is likely to touch on her work for the show as she reveals the tricks of the trade and how to get actors ready for their big scene. A must see for any aspiring make-up artists and film makers that want to learn more.

Maria will be on other panels throughout the day to answer questions about hair design in Game of Thrones - just whatever you do don't mention "Eyebrow-Gate"...

Right time to announce more Game of Thrones guests for TitanCon. This time we have two people from the production crew because the people behind the camera are just as important as those in front of it.

William Simpson ~ Storyboard Artist

William Simpson is a storyboard artist working on HBO's Game of Thrones, but he is far better known as a comic artist and illustrator. Over his 30 year career Will has worked for all the major comic houses: Dark Horse, DC, Vertigo, Marvel and 2000AD.

In recent years Will has concentrated primarily on illustration and filmmaking and has drawn storyboards for films including Breakfast on Pluto, Closing the Ring, Reign of Fire, City of Ember and Your Highness. Many of these were filmed in Belfast and this has naturally lead to Game of Thrones. William was at Belfast Moot 2 and we are very pleased to say he will be joining us again at TitanCon.

Awesome. I wonder if he'd get freaked if I turned up with every single Transformers comic he ever illustrated and asked for a signature? :P

Hello! New here - found out about the convention and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself to people as if I come I will be going alone :-)

On that note if anybody would like to split costs of a room somewhere please let me know.

Lis x

Hello! New here - found out about the convention and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself to people as if I come I will be going alone :-)

On that note if anybody would like to split costs of a room somewhere please let me know.

Lis x

Welcome, but what do you mean IF? If you don't come you will really be missing something special. Lots of people will also be travelling alone, we are a very welcoming bunch so don't worry about not knowing anyone.

Also I do know that most people share rooms with others, so you should have no problem finding someone to share with. To make things easier finding someone maybe you should say when you hope to arrive/leave, If possible I recommend staying for Sunday's coach trip as well, But that probably means taking the Monday off work as well if your flying in. Unfortunatly I can't offer you the spare bed in my room as I am not allowed to share with anyone who I have not met in person.

Welcome, but what do you mean IF? If you don't come you will really be missing something special. Lots of people will also be travelling alone, we are a very welcoming bunch so don't worry about not knowing anyone.

Also I do know that most people share rooms with others, so you should have no problem finding someone to share with. To make things easier finding someone maybe you should say when you hope to arrive/leave, If possible I recommend staying for Sunday's coach trip as well, But that probably means taking the Monday off work as well if your flying in. Unfortunatly I can't offer you the spare bed in my room as I am not allowed to share with anyone who I have not met in person.

I said 'if' as I am not the most outgoing of people so wasn't sure if going on my own would be a good idea, I did a convention on my own last year but struggled to find people to talk to as they were all already in groups it's kind of made me hesitant to do it again. Though I have totally fallen in love with Game of Thrones and as you say I don't want to miss something very special.

Good idea re: timings. I am hoping to arrive early-ish Friday morning and leave afternoon time on Monday (it does mean time off work but it'd be a crime not to go on the coach trip!) I guess a little more about me might help too, I'm 28 and work for the NHS in Northampton (hour north of London).

Although I don't have access to the figures but I would guess that at least half the people signed up for this so far are already members of this board, and have been for years. So yeah most of us know each other to some extent. However we are an inclusive not exclusive group and everyone was new once. Also as this is a small convention it should be more relaxed. Oh and if your really worried then you have until September to make friends in general Chatter or TTTNE in forum games. If anyone gives you a hard time, then just tell them your Protected by Pebble so they better behave themselve. (I do however recommend that you have read feast before you spend much time there, its easy to get accidently spoiled).

Before and during the Convention a lot of people swap mobile numbers, this helps with arranging meet ups and food ect. If you do share with a non Brit check its ok to phone their mobile before you do (as this can add up costs for both of you quickly) most people just text. I'll be more than happy to give you my number nearer the time.

If you're worried about being on your own, or find yourself alone at any time introduce yourself to one of the more recognised BWBers. They will be more than happy to introduce you to others. Or you can find me, apparently I am one of the most recognisable people around. I don't even have to speak and people know who I am. (I'm not sure if that's a good thing) The other thing I can suggest is that you volunteer to help out during the con. It's a great way of meeting people.

As for myself I will be around from Friday PM (although I won't be up to much as I'll have just finished a night shift that morning) till Monday evening. I'll probably be on the registration desk at some point. If your still feeling shy on the Sunday then you can sit next to me on the coach trip.

Really there is no excuse not to join us, if you have the ability to say, "Erm, Excuse me, Are you from the board?" them be magic words.

Thank you very much hun! I did think about volunteering too :-)

I think I will go and book my ticket now - then I can use the next couple of months to get to know people and build up my confidence

Thank you ever so much for your replies

Lis x

Archived