TitanCon Belfast - Sat 24 Sept 2011

Joe plus mead was the best idea ever, it's just a shame he wasn't in costume.

I really wish I could have sat in on the extras panel and shared some anecdotes but sadly I had too much stuff to get signed and noone to proxy for me.

Noone got enough mead, I need to correct that next year!! Giant was looking wobbly after his, haha. I felt bad for the Irish folks who asked me at the after-feast party if I had any left, they need to grab me earlier!

Was anyone on the other table at the feast? There was mead floating around Miltos and Kristian's table but a disturbing lack of raucous behaviour. We got through 3 on our side with the help of a couple from NJ and some blogger types : D

I must admit that in advance I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from Titancon, but it turned out to be great. All the panels I went to were interesting (although the season 2 panel did have a bit of a flaw in that none of the cast could answer any questions about season 2, but once the audience figured that out and started asking other questions it worked out OK). Waterdancing with Syrio Forel (and Maisie, Joe, Jo and Eloisa) was also fun to watch.

As well as the GoT panels, I also liked Ian McDonald's Q&A panel, I hadn't realised he had a parallel career in TV production (including writing the Northern Irish version of Sesame Street, apparently working with muppets has some unique challenges). There were a couple of amusing revelations, one that all of the over-the-top reality TV show pitches he mentions in Brasyl came from shows McDonald had tried to pitch himself, also apparently he appeared as an extra in Spiceworld : The Movie, which is not something many Science Fiction authors can say.

The coach tour was fun as well, the locations would have been interesting to visit even without the GoT connections, although I will admit there were a few times trekking through the pouring rain on the way back from Tollymore Forest that I did wish that we were visiting some filming locations in Malta or Dubrovnik or somewhere else that was warm and dry ;). The fighting demonstration was fun as well and the meal was good, as was Jo's rendition of the Dothraki love song.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising it, I could see how busy the organisers were during the weekend. A few people did remark that it was hard to believe that the whole thing was done for only £10 cost. It was nice to meet people again or meet people for the first time, hopefully I'll see you all at another meet before too long. There were also a lot of people there who I didn't really get a chance to speak to, hopefully I will next time.

One final thought - since we all declared Pod as King of the North at Insh Abbey in a re-enactment of the scene from the last episode, does this mean that for Titancon 2013 we have to re-enact the Red Wedding as well, with Pod playing the same role?

What an awesome convention. I managed to persuade some friends to come along and they had an absolute blast. The organisers and volunteers did a brilliant job in putting the weekend together and ensuring that everything went smoothly. The cast and crew who were there were incredibly friendly and more than willing to chat to the fans, and all I can say is roll on next year!

If I had one minor complaint, and this would be directed at silverjaime, it was that the chardonnay at the feast was more room temperature than the recommended chilled! (joking!) :P

Hey Parris, I was tweeting like crazy!! (@DocFourFour). I also put some video of the S2 panel on my youtube page 'DocFourFour'.

Thanks to everyone who came to the extras panel and Special thanks to Samantha, Marc & Diarmuid for taking part. We really thought no one would be there as the signings were taking place downstairs but we had a good number.

Ah Ha! Didn't know it was you using the handle DocFour Four, but thanks for at least a glimpse of what was going on - so many pics with people smiling broadly and having a good time were greatly appreciated. (I am finally going to subscribe to Twitter, so now I know at least 3 people I will follow).

Also glad you got some people to come to the extras panel, since that was the only topic I suggested to the concom.

and yes, there had better be a TitanCon 2012, I've almost got enough frequent flyer miles saved up for a ticket to Belfast! (no, George can't come, his schedule is already over-booked for 2012, but he'll be working on a novel, I just have to get the house sitter to come over to water the cats and feed the plants if I'm only away for a week or two).

Back home again. Had a really really great time in Belfast and at TitanCon and on the bus tour. :) Despite my hurt hand and the pouring rain and whatever. :P

It was very nice meeting people I knew from last year and meeting new ones, too.

sittng atair portnow, waiting for my flight.

Adz Please if your reading this let me know if you managed to leave the bus station without being detained too long.

and erm, sorry. I should have talked you out of it not incouragedyou. But Its Pods Fault.

Oh well. They let me go after an hour or so. They talked to me about indecent behaviour or something; I couldn't understand everything they were saying. :blush:

I spent my last 5 pounds after that episode for something to eat and went back to the hotel to get my things packed.

Ah Ha! Didn't know it was you using the handle DocFour Four, but thanks for at least a glimpse of what was going on - so many pics with people smiling broadly and having a good time were greatly appreciated. (I am finally going to subscribe to Twitter, so now I know at least 3 people I will follow). Also glad you got some people to come to the extras panel, since that was the only topic I suggested to the concom. and yes, there had better be a TitanCon 2012, I've almost got enough frequent flyer miles saved up for a ticket to Belfast! (no, George can't come, his schedule is already over-booked for 2012, but he'll be working on a novel, I just have to get the house sitter to come over to water the cats and feed the plants if I'm only away for a week or two).

Yes, that's me (too many handles!). It's a pity that George can't make TitanCon 2012.

I have to start with congrats to Mountain Goat, Bruce Ian and Silverjaime. The con went extremely well and if I didn't know better I would have thought this was the ir10th Titancon, not the very first. :)

Second off, I have to say hi to everyone. I have been to a few cons before, so when I go to a con these days, the number of people that i've met before that are part of our group, normally overwhelms the people I haven't. There were over 300 people at this con. I probably talked to 20 of those before last week. So it was a completely different con straight away. But of course, it doesn't matter how many you have met before. Everyone was a pleasure to meet.

Admittedly, i'm a mess when it comes to people's names. I picked up a few but with board names (multiple in some cases) and real names, I really didn't have a hope because i'm bad at the best of times. But it doesn't matter, great people one and all. :)

We had the organisers, as I have already mentioned. We had the Extras, such a friendly group, helping people get to know Belfast/surrounds and happily giving us all a taste of what it means to be part of the GoT roadshow. We had JacMac, Rabbit, SamanthaofTarth (great enthuasism about the show). We had loads of great volunteers (Adz from Germany, L from UK (I actually remember her full first name. Probably because she showed up early), another German and tons more).

We had people from all corners. About Yea High (and his 50 other fabulous names) and San Fran friend (this is all going to get garbled now) from the US, Hear me Roar and gf from Netherlands (always good to learn that some Dutch people know almost as much Gaelic Irish as me), Joe (and his magical horn of plenty), Australian guy (hope you have a great time in Ireland!), an astrophysicist (I feel clever just having talked to one but great fun too!), Italian guy and a bunch of people I talked to on Sunday night (couple of Swedes, couple of Americans, a Spanish fan, a German and L from UK. Or something like that. We all know about the dangers of fraking now at least). Lysa and son (bravo!). Another Swede (Johan I think) and plenty of others.

And there were the people I did know. It was great to meet them again. Malt, McGeek, Eloisa, BillyJ, Pebble (who very kindly gave me a baseball cap in my time of need. After all the bad things I've done to her too!). Peadar of course (wacky as ever. Will definitely not have my vote. :P). SerMelT (as dangerous as ever but doubles the fun by her mere presence). I must be missing people. (Apologies!)

It was a very interesting bus tour on Sunday (and forgetting my rain gear as an Irishman really does underline something) and it was very nice to see some of N Ireland. Lovely feast too. The con itself went very well. While we were never going to learn any great secrets from meeting the cast and the storyboard artist, it was brilliant to see their enthuasism about the show. And Ian McDonald was a very entertainting GoH. Puppets?

And yes, I did think I had won a raffle prize. 239 sounds like 339! :blushing: I do feel a little embarrased about one other thing. We had a discussion about Jaime and Brienne at one stage. I do have rather firm views on the books and what may or may not happen in them. But I realised later on that it may have been interpreted as a personal statement about slash fic. Given my knowledge, I really couldn't comment on the latter.

One final thought - since we all declared Pod as King of the North at Insh Abbey in a re-enactment of the scene from the last episode, does this mean that for Titancon 2013 we have to re-enact the Red Wedding as well, with Pod playing the same role?

This is the second time people have made me King. I'm getting very suspicious of people's motives. :crying:

So thanks again to all and sunday. :)

Hey guys,

with all the excitement of getting back I completely forgot to post here to say what a wonderful weekend it was (did Twitter and WiCnet)! Can't praise the committee and all who helped enough. The guests were wonderful and I believe the everyone had a relaxed, fun day.

I've posted up some pics and video (inc. Lord Jo's Dothraki song - Sat night version. Sun night version wasn't such good quality but can post too). Parris, I was Tweeting some pics too but the signal in Belfast is very hit and miss. I'm @JacMac30 on Twitter :)

Lord Jo - can you remind me the name of the group of fighters/battlers so I can add them to the photo description. Also have a load of video of that too that I'll put up.

Pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jacmac/sets/72157627766620918/

Video - http://www.youtube.com/user/JacMac30?feature=mhee

Look forward to seeing everyone inc. Parris again next year :)

Jackie - who can't get the blinkin' Dothraki tune out of her head!

Some of you probably expected a long fully detailed report from me but I think all I'm going to say is simply thank you for the congrats and thanks for coming. See you all next year.

I'll write the report for you. Here it is:

Day 1: Worked on Con. Saw Nothing.

Day 2: Worked on Con. Saw Nothing.

Day 3: Got very wet. Worked on Con. Saw Nothing. Ate nothing.

No need to thank me.

I'll write the report for you. Here it is:

Day 1: Worked on Con. Saw Nothing.

Day 2: Worked on Con. Saw Nothing.

Day 3: Got very wet. Worked on Con. Saw Nothing. Ate nothing.

No need to thank me.

That's pretty much it, except I did get to eat on Sunday - although the crackling was all gone by the time I got there....

Archived