TitanCon Belfast - Sat 24 Sept 2011

I just wanted to second (third? Fourth?) all the thanks to everyone who organised Titancon - I would have been here sooner but I got back from Belfast and landed smack-bang in the middle of a decorating crisis, so web access has been tricky until now! It was a brilliant day - as a relative newbie to the ASoIaF universe and a con virgin I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I had so much fun and I am definitely looking forward to next year! I also apologise to Sophie Turner's parents on behalf of Lanky and myself - I hope we didn't traumatise her too much with our Masquerade skit!! Or anyone else, for that matter...

Oops - aplogise for the assumed gender role - I wasn't actually slagging you buy calling you a girl either - novel for me :)

A real Dothraki/Nazgul horselord ? For actually real ( by which I mean you can ride and kill people with metal weaponry ) ? We will definately have to meet and have at it :fencing:

Phil - well done on the extensive list. Massive props to everyone for pulling off a terrific wekkend ;) Bigger, better, faster , more ?

I actually prefer bows -modern recurve? But happy with any type long, composite etc - choose your arrows madam lol

Actually Jo, we spoke on the Saturday morning as I had just set-up the boards and was returning the allen key (remember?) - I was admiring the steam punk pics!

I actually prefer bows -modern recurve? But happy with any type long, composite etc - choose your arrows madam lol

Actually Jo, we spoke on the Saturday morning as I had just set-up the boards and was returning the allen key (remember?) - I was admiring the steam punk pics!

Ok - I do remember the Allen keys :) I have a hard enough time remembering anyones names - let alone board names and such - there were so many BWBers and others at the con that I hadn't met before - in some ways that was great and in some ways I missed good friends of mine from the BWB that didn't attend - that will change next year I am sure :)

I am an ancient weapons sort of girl but I suggest we continue this conversation privately so as not to hijak this thread any further - if you would like to talk about weaponry and such ;)

There was mead floating around Miltos and Kristian's table but a disturbing lack of raucous behaviour. We got through 3 on our side with the help of a couple from NJ and some blogger types : D

Thanks a ton again for the excellent mead.

~Matt (1/2 of the couple from NJ)

• 3 months later...

I know I'm being all impatient and everything. but I tried to buy membership to this years Con on the 22nd September. and the planned coach trip only membership is not for sale at the mo! :whip:

However I would like to book my hotel room fairly soon, so If anyone wants to share and you are a Non - Snorer (and I have previously met you to satisfy my husbands conditions) Speak up now. Days Hotel rooms are currently £53 without Breakfast.

Erm If anyone knows of a reason why the venue or dates may change please speak up really soon.

I know! I keep checking in to the sight, as I don't want to miss out on the tour (last years was bloody brilliant!) but nope, they obviously don't want my money. :rofl:

Hotel wise; I'm holding off a little bit just to see if I can get any bargain prices. I'll probably end up in the Days regardless, because it was rather lonely in the Premier Inn. :D I know that at last TitanCon we asked whether it was a possibility to get a group rate/discount at Days Inn and were told it would be looked into; don't know how that went.

I'm not impressed with this new avios system (replacement for airmiles). Last year, I used airmiles to get the flight for free. This year, now it's avios; as the flight is non BA I'm liable for £75 fees, taxes and surcharges IN ADDITION to the 9000 avios points. I might as well just buy the bloody flight and save the points. Jeez. How ridiculous.

The most important thing, and one that needs to be explained is about the masquerade. Now the rules expressly stated that Quarthi dresses were not allowed. However is this a rule that goes for men as well ;)

But surely they would allow Quarthi dressess with well placed hats?

The most important thing, and one that needs to be explained is about the masquerade. Now the rules expressly stated that Quarthi dresses were not allowed. However is this a rule that goes for men as well ;)

I can't imagine it would. You'd have to ask Phil or one of the other organisers though.

Can I just confirm that we do in fact want your money and I do apologise because it is entirely my fault that the website is not yet ready to go. But soon, very soon.

Also we will be notifying TitanCon 2011 members via email about the date when memberships and tickets go on sale so do not worry, you will not be missing out - in fact you may find something special in that email just for you guys! So remember to check your email over the next few weeks (and maybe your spam filters just in case).

I have just heard (this morning in fact) that we do have an arrangement with Days, however in all honesty it's not that good of a deal because the rate is a little higher than the current website price but it does include breakfast and unlike the rate Pebble quoted above you can cancel this booking without being charged if you should need to. Not a great incentive I'll admit but sadly none of the hotels are really willing to offer good group discounts.

The rate is £60 for single occupancy, £65 for double occupancy (the difference there being the breakfast so I believe it will save you a little money so long as you were planning on having breakfast at the hotel anyway). Full details of how to book this rate will be included in the confirmation email you'll receive after purchasing TitanCon membership.

I must admit the rules are a little lax regarding Quartheen gowns. It is of course a unisex garment but I had not considered a man wishing to wear one at the masquerade - though given the outfit you wore last year Lanky I really should not be surprised, it would hardly be any less scandalous after all. In which case I will have to allow Quartheen Gowns for men and women can also wear them provided they are still covered in ways deemed appropriate for walking through a public hotel and appearing in front of a panel of judges which may include children (Sophie and Maisie were our judges last year). Does that cover it?

I have just heard (this morning in fact) that we do have an arrangement with Days, however in all honesty it's not that good of a deal because the rate is a little higher than the current website price but it does include breakfast and unlike the rate Pebble quoted above you can cancel this booking without being charged if you should need to. Not a great incentive I'll admit but sadly none of the hotels are really willing to offer good group discounts.

The rate is £60 for single occupancy, £65 for double occupancy (the difference there being the breakfast so I believe it will save you a little money so long as you were planning on having breakfast at the hotel anyway). Full details of how to book this rate will be included in the confirmation email you'll receive after purchasing TitanCon membership.

I could have added breakfast for £6 per person so the Website is still cheaper, but you can't counsil and not be charged. I think the transferable / able to counsil price was £60 per room without breakfast.

Can I just confirm that we do in fact want your money and I do apologise because it is entirely my fault that the website is not yet ready to go. But soon, very soon.

I was joking. Of course you want my money, and I want very much to give it to you. In fact, I would have quite happily handed it over at TitanCon'11 but there you go.

Also we will be notifying TitanCon 2011 members via email about the date when memberships and tickets go on sale so do not worry, you will not be missing out - in fact you may find something special in that email just for you guys! So remember to check your email over the next few weeks (and maybe your spam filters just in case).

Good to know; I'll keep an eye on my inbox and spam folders then. And something special? Ooooo exciting! :D

Not being much of a breakfast person, and certainly not a cooked breaky person, including breakfast in the price was never really important, so I think I'll just hold out and book seperately. But I will say thank you MG to you and the rest of the committee for trying. You didn't have to, and yeah, unfortunately the hotels aren't playing ball and offering some sweet deals, but as you've said, for those who were planning on breaky, it might work out well for them.

I must admit the rules are a little lax regarding Quartheen gowns. It is of course a unisex garment but I had not considered a man wishing to wear one at the masquerade - though given the outfit you wore last year Lanky I really should not be surprised, it would hardly be any less scandalous after all. In which case I will have to allow Quartheen Gowns for men and women can also wear them provided they are still covered in ways deemed appropriate for walking through a public hotel and appearing in front of a panel of judges which may include children (Sophie and Maisie were our judges last year). Does that cover it?

That skit still makes me giggle; I can't wait to see what you're going to come out with this time around.

Know I only had a chance to do it once on the coach tour last year, but happy enough to ramble on about the actual history of any locations it hits this year if need be. I'm sure I can provide something in dragonglass for the prizes again too.

As I'm sure you all know by now, The Other Ones are holding a Children In Need raffle and Doctor Who Quiz this wednesday, 1st Feb, in Belfast.

So if you're in the city this week and you're looking to hang out with some friendly faces from TitanCon, there is more info here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orbzine/message/137

See you there!

Archived