TitanCon Belfast - Sat 24 Sept 2011

Same as me! I have 3 nights at the Days Hotel, I will arrive Friday at noon and leave Monday morning. I would be glad to share, as I booked a twin room just in case. Would you like to exchange emails or facebooks?

Awesome - sounds good to me. On fb I am facebook.com/dreximgirl or my email is dreximgirl[at]yahoo[dot]co[dot]uk :-)

Lis x

Hi everyone- my first post!

Looking forward to meeting everyone at TitanCon - I'll be doing security (badge name Ade) - so come over and say hello!

LordMountainGoat - I was wondering is it worthwhile arranging to have local guides for those folk not familiar with wandering around Belfast city centre? Also pm me or email me - I have some news regarding the start of filming you may not be aware of (in area on North Antrim coast!)

Uvatha (aka Ade)

Finally got around to buying tickets yesterday evening, I'll be flying from Cardiff (despite living next to Heathrow for some bizarre reason it's far cheaper to get the train to Cardiff and fly from there?!) and I'll most likely be staying in the Belfast International Youth Hostel with two other ladies from a blog ASOIAF group - one has come from NYC for this! It will be lovely to meet everyone. Is anyone else staying at the hostel?

Finally got around to buying tickets yesterday evening, I'll be flying from Cardiff (despite living next to Heathrow for some bizarre reason it's far cheaper to get the train to Cardiff and fly from there?!) and I'll most likely be staying in the Belfast International Youth Hostel with two other ladies from a blog ASOIAF group - one has come from NYC for this! It will be lovely to meet everyone. Is anyone else staying at the hostel?

Can't be any worse than the Linen House. I'd pack some earmuffs or earplugs if I were you, though.

This is probably just pipe dreaming, especially since the cost will be doubled due to the inability to leave the wife at home. Reno was one thing, but I'll never live down going to Belfast without her. <_<

Anyway, sorry if this has been asked, but Expedia is showing two airports in Belfast. Is Belfast International (BFS) the one I'd want to arrive in?

Thanks.

This is probably just pipe dreaming, especially since the cost will be doubled due to the inability to leave the wife at home. Reno was one thing, but I'll never live down going to Belfast without her. <_<

Anyway, sorry if this has been asked, but Expedia is showing two airports in Belfast. Is Belfast International (BFS) the one I'd want to arrive in?

Thanks.

Hi KSC :)

Expedia sounds German to me. :) Or is it known in other countries, too? :blushing:

I don't know about the two Belfast airports. Apart from the fact that there are two. ;)

Another option would be to fly to Dublin and go from there to Belfast by bus. There's a bus from Dublin Airport to Belfast, which arrives in the area of the Con-Hotel.

It is cheaper even with the cost for the bus. For me at least. I'm flying from Germany.

Haha! Honest mistake. :laugh:

You can get some pretty decent deals on there if you combine your flight and hotel. It was actually $90 cheaper to fly to Reno and get 2 nights in a hotel than to just book the flight alone.

I never even thought to look up the venue to the event. I'll use the location of the Europa Hotel to get a better idea of things. Like I said, I don't think it's at all possible, but who knows.

Thanks!

Belfast City is just outside the city centre so would be more convenient if you could get a flight there (I think there's only a limited number of flights to it). I've not been to Belfast International (yet) but I believe it's a bit further away, but not too far.

Can't be any worse than the Linen House. I'd pack some earmuffs or earplugs if I were you, though.

Ah I'm good with hostels, can never be as bad as some of the ones I stayed in while wandering central Europe on my study abroad year ;) Thanks for the tip! It got better online reviews than Linen House and it's only a 10 minute walk from the Europa Hotel so it seemed convenient for a cheap stay!

I don't know about the two Belfast airports. Apart from the fact that there are two. ;)

Another option would be to fly to Dublin and go from there to Belfast by bus. There's a bus from Dublin Airport to Belfast, which arrives in the area of the Con-Hotel.

It is cheaper even with the cost for the bus. For me at least. I'm flying from Germany.

You have a number of options open to you.

• Belfast City Airport is closest to the City Centre (about 5-6 miles).
  • Belfast International is a bit further away (about 20 miles).
  • Dublin quite a bit further away (about 90 miles).

Good news is that all 3 of these options have frequent and fairly inexpensive bus services linking the airport to Belfast City Centre - in fact, all 3 take you straight to the Hotel where the Con is being held. Translink - Airport Services

Worst-Case scenario of these 3 (... and it's not that bad a scenario ...) is travelling from Dublin. Buses are every hour, and costs about £15 return.

MCGeek and I found that flying into Belfast International was about £25 cheaper than flying into Belfast City, making up for the bus ride from airport to town centre being about £10 more expensive from International than City (due to the larger distance). This will vary for everyone.

Worst-Case scenario of these 3 (... and it's not that bad a scenario ...) is travelling from Dublin. Buses are every hour, and costs about £15 return.

I take this option. :P

;)

I'm wondering about currencies. Is it cheaper to change money (Euro) at home or in Belfast? Is it even necessary to change money? IIRC I read somewhere that it isn't. That you can pay with Euro in Belfast.

And I'm wondering what to do from Tuesday to Thursday in or close to Belfast.

I take this option. :P

;)

I'm wondering about currencies. Is it cheaper to change money (Euro) at home or in Belfast? Is it even necessary to change money? IIRC I read somewhere that it isn't. That you can pay with Euro in Belfast.

And I'm wondering what to do from Tuesday to Thursday in or close to Belfast.

That would interest me as well, especially the activities part. ;)

As for money, I usually change money at home but if I didn't have to do it, that would be fantastic!

If I don't hear from the person on here who was looking to room share I will be staying at the hostel too

As for money, I usually change money at home but if I didn't have to do it, that would be fantastic!

It used to be the case that the Euro was accepted widely, because there were a lot of Irish shopping tourists coming north. Now, however, not everywhere will accept the Euro as it is dying (Ireland will accept it, but Ireland has no choice. Still, useful if you're flying through Dublin) and those that do will not necessarily give you a good "rate" of exchange. Also be aware that certain English banknotes are treated with caution, so you might want to consider changing your banknotes into Northern Irish ones where possible.

If you are buying something from any dealers... well, some may take Euros but all will take Northern Irish money.

Decide accordingly.

Archived