New trailer

Nails77

"...Any idea what the new preview that they are airing tonight is going to be??? The HBO Game of Thrones website says it will air Saturday (presumably today) at 8PM, but according to my TV listings, Robin Hood is airing at 8 PM. New 15 minutes preview before Robin Hood, maybe? Or is it the one weve seen (the latest 2 minute trailer?..."

The group mind here has been wrong on number of other occasions (from what i can read), mistaking the flashback of Brandons murder for Sean Bean dreaming himself in Brandons place being the biggest one and there the face was much clearer then in this case.

I think the group mind was well on it's way to convincing ourselves it was a wight until Ran showed up and singlehandedly spoiled our party <_<

In any case, even if we don't like the final product, their screentime is incredibly limited, and will be for at least 4 seasons. Maybe in 4 years when we need more extensive Other shots they can improve it

^ ^

ETA: Double-checked some notes, and I noticed in the 15-minute-reel, we see both its hand and upper arm, as well as its sword. First off, it's really tall, the way it's shot. Second, I noted down that it looked like it was wearing an icy sort of vambrace. So it definitely has some kind of armor.

In your opinion is the screenshot clear enough that you can actually see how the Other looks in the 15 minute sneak peek ?

Personally i'm actually really starting to really like this change. Its certainly looks nothing like how it was described in the books but what it does look like is a cross between a blue eyed yeti and - more importantly - a Neanderthal. Its kind of fitting because these Others are Man's ancient enemy, no doubt the same way we thought about the actual Neanderthals.

Its much more a creature of flesh and blood then the clearly fantastical Others of the book and it much more in keeping with the realistic feel of Martins world because of it. And in turn this makes it a greater enemy to fear. Yeah, IMO this is definitely a change for the better.

I don't know how they're going to show it on the show, so for all I know the quick glimpse of its hand and forearm, plus this shot in the trailer, may be the only glimpses of a white walker in the whole of the first season. I suspect they will show rather more, though, and if the sneak peek is pulled from the first 15 minutes of the first episode, then it should all be resolved.

Blast and damnation!

Nothing in the book says it, true, but if this is their idea of an Other then its a very poor one, in my not so humble opinion.

Ill reserve some sliver of hope until the preview this is some sort of mistake and they just used a wight mask for a quick shot or whatever.

But they were wearing armour, however. Which would presumably include a helm or helmet, which would cover the hair.

I was led to think it was a wight because I assumed it was wearing Ser Waymar Royce's cloak and hood.

woah woah woah, is this true? why the hell would they take out the scene at Castle Black? that's one of the best scenes in the first book? and would also mean they leave out the chilling scene where Ghost comes back w/ the blackened hand. Someone tell me this is not true. I hate adaptations that change for the sake of change

No, i think i didn't explain what i meant.

I read somewhere that there wont be wights in the prologue. That means we won't see Will killed by ser royce (actually, it would be gareth-whatshisname, since will is executed by ned in the show).

The reason is that, if we don't see wights, we'll be more surprised when we see the wights at castle black. I hope it's clear now :D

(i guess this is the reason why -according to the trailer - will says to ned he saw the white walkers, but he doesn't say anything about deads walking)

I managed to grab a really good frame off my TV of the Other/White Walker, whatever they are being called on the show (just took a photo with my phone cam, but at least my TV is 1090p). I think it shows the face better than the other screen caps we've seen so far.

My camera seems to want to make it bluer than it looks on the screen, which has a more gray hue, but the image has more detail, at least.

Or a Wight - because it damn looks like one. Dammit!

Even before Brude's excellent shot, how in the world did you think that looked like a wight? A wight is just a dead human. It isn't transformed into a really weird looking creature. :)

I managed to grab a really good frame off my TV of the Other/White Walker, whatever they are being called on the show (just took a photo with my phone cam, but at least my TV is 1090p). I think it shows the face better than the other screen caps we've seen so far.

My camera seems to want to make it bluer than it looks on the screen, which has a more gray hue, but the image has more detail, at least.

Nice pic, thanks! It certainly looks there to be much paler around the shoulders, suggesting pale coloured armour. Unless that's snow in the background, can't really tell.

I still think it's a bit early to be worrying about the look of the Others from a split seconded, darkened shot.

Even before Brude's excellent shot, how in the world did you think that looked like a wight? A wight is just a dead human. It isn't transformed into a really weird looking creature. :)

I thought it was a majorly decayed dead human. No nose and all. :P But retrospect, you are right, Pods.

I thought it was a majorly decayed dead human. No nose and all. :P But retrospect, you are right, Pods.

I thought it looked like that, too. With the clearer shot, it's pretty obvious the facial structure isn't a human skeleton.

That clip of Cat does come after Bran's fall, so apart from the issue I voiced earlier specifically about her honor and duty spiel (it still strikes me as very much a typical "wife of Manly Hero Man in Manly Hero Movie must act as emotional angst touchstone to enhance badassery of Manly Hero Man as he stoically goes off to do his Manly Hero Man duty" kind of line that doesn't gel with the values laid out for the character in the books) I don't have a problem with that scene overall. I'm actually glad they fleshed it out from the sentence it was in the book.

I agree with this 150 percent. And LOL at the “Manly Hero Man in Manly Hero Movie” (I think it goes without saying that this will be starring Bruce Willis?)

Honestly, the thing that struck me most about this teaser was not the white walker or even the Catelyn/ Ned scene… but the hilarious little exchange between Ned and Jory at the Brothel. Jory’s just staring at that lady’s boob’s like he’s going to be tested on them tomorrow, and Ned’s just not having it. Ned’s like “Jory, we’re leavin’ now!” and Jory’s all “Aw, dad, it was just gettin’ good! No really, I think I can learn something here… real educational stuff, I swear!”

Or, is it possible that poor, clueless Ned does not even realize that Jory’s being “distracted” in this scene? I can imagine that. Ned is thinking to himself, “Littlefinger is up to no good. What can the man be thinking in bringing me here? Cat may trust him, but I cannot…. Oh, all of this deception and trickery is like a slow poison to me? What shall I do?... Ah, perhaps young Jory has the answer! Look at him standing there, right now, looking in the general direction of that topless young prostitute. I must ask him what he is thinking… he will surely enlighten me with his deep, subtle thoughts!” And meanwhile, Jory is thinking “Boobsboobsboobs. Boobsboobs boobs Boobsbooobs boobs boobs!”

Hehe, I know... it's just so much more emo when it's actually said by emojon with his little boystache.

Haha! I love it.

Honestly, I thought that Jon looked like a bit of a dandy to me. Does he really expect the hardened criminals of the Nightswatch to take him seriously with his little (wannabe) mustache, head off bouncy, shiny curls, and pretty leather ensemble? He’s gonna get his ass handed to him on a platter. And the thing is… dude kinda deserves it. No one should take themselves seriously whilst sporting a “boystache” (as you so beautifully put it.)

… but the hilarious little exchange between Ned and Jory at the Brothel. Jory’s just staring at that lady’s boob’s like he’s going to be tested on them tomorrow, and Ned’s just not having it.

I always liked Jory a little excessively in the book, and I'm becoming oddly eager to see him in the show.

Honestly, I thought that Jon looked like a bit of a dandy to me. Does he really expect the hardened criminals of the Nightswatch to take him seriously with his little (wannabe) mustache, head off bouncy, shiny curls, and pretty leather ensemble? He’s gonna get his ass handed to him on a platter. And the thing is… dude kinda deserves it. No one should take themselves seriously whilst sporting a “boystache” (as you so beautifully put it.)

Er... isn't that exactly what happened in the book?

And Brude's pic? Siiiiiick. :thumbsup:

The Other looks a bit like a mummified 'viking' to me. Though I can't tell if that is a beard or a long chin. The wrinkly look is a little off-putting, far less elegant and alien and more zombie-ish than I would have preferred. It gives them a distinct 'undead human' appearance rather than a species in their own right. Not my favorite decision from the production team, but not a particularly horrid one either. I'm not watching the show for the Others, just like I don't read the book for them.

Archived