Interesting question.

You are very funny. I must admit that I have fun with your comment.

But seriously. It seems very strange that Camelot, is more expensive than Game of Thrones.

Would not happen to someone else?

I would find it very strange, too, and, I think, unlikely. I seriously doubt 'Camelot' cost $7 million an episode. Probably half that, or less. I've watched the pilot, and it doesn't look anything like the type of production value we're seeing in clips of Thrones. And I'm glad you liked my post, julandro: I'd hoped you would. I threw in that comment about Cersei on all-fours just for you.

In this article: http://www.variety.c...183?refCatId=19 Variety refers to Game of Thrones as "HBO's $60 million fantasy series". They don't specify where their numbers come from, but that's quite a bit more than the ~$45 million we've heard rumored before.

I saw that the other day. I have to wonder, though, if $60 million is not the hype budget they put out in the press, whereas $45 million is closer to the true budget.

A lot of the time published budgets are not real. They like to put out higher numbers both for press reasons - it sounds more impressive and substantial to say it costs $60 million - and for other reasons (so I hear). Supposedly it's part of the funny bookkeeping that goes on in Hollywood where no movie ever makes a profit, so they can screw anyone with a net percentage deal out of what they are owed.

Question, as I've never been so invested in an HBO show before to the point that I don't want to see it cancelled -- does HBO actually care about viewership numbers, since their revenue-stream isn't ad-generated? Or do they put more credence in subscription numbers and DVD/iTunes sales when deciding whether to greenlight a second season? I'm hoping for the latter, cause my gut tells me GoT isn't going to be breaking any viewership records any time soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if the subscription/DVD sales surpass a lot of other cable shows, considering GoT already has an established fanbase.

Question, as I've never been so invested in an HBO show before to the point that I don't want to see it cancelled -- does HBO actually care about viewership numbers, since their revenue-stream isn't ad-generated? Or do they put more credence in subscription numbers and DVD/iTunes sales when deciding whether to greenlight a second season? I'm hoping for the latter, cause my gut tells me GoT isn't going to be breaking any viewership records any time soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if the subscription/DVD sales surpass a lot of other cable shows, considering GoT already has an established fanbase.

Of course they care about viewership numbers, though probably not to the degree that networks do. Viewers matter, and ratings are going to be directly linked to things like subscriptions and iTunes and DVD sales. The good thing is that HBO will give a show more time to find an audience, and critical reaction means more to them. Still, the way they are promoting this show, and the hype that the show is getting, it's going to pull good numbers, at least to start.

Thankfully, the medieval fantasy setting is one that I think will be palatable for viewers. Though they weren't FANTASY technically, you look at the recent successes of The Tudors, Spartacus: Blood & Sand (Not quite medieval I know) audiences are cool with "period" dramas. With True Blood it is clear that audiences are cool with a touch of fantasy as well. So with GOT they are basically going after the two markets with this show. Since Carnivale, I don't see HBO putting so much money on something they aren't certain is gonna pan out.

For the amount of advertising on AGOT that I've seen here in England I think that HBO's people put AGOT just a step under "Boardwalk Empire" in their current shows ranking (BE is not only extremely expensive but also was released as "Martin Scorsese makes a TV Show" even if - truth to be told - he only directs the first episode).

"Boardwalk Empire" got its confirmation for a second season few days after the first episode was aired on HBO, AGOT will probably need few more episode to get it (but I bet it will get it before Ep. 5).

Archived