International Air Dates

Westeros

We’ve put together a comprehensive list of air dates, covering every country we have an inkling of(or think we soon ought to have some knowledge of) in regards to the air date for Game of Thrones. We’ve broken it into several sections, from those that have locked in dates all the way through to those we have no information about at all. Each section is alphabetical (except for the first, where the U.S., U.K., and Canada are given precedence), in the hopes it will make finding a specific country easier.

If you have any corrections, clarifications, or additional information regarding broadcasters or air dates, please feel free to comment or to e-mail us directly.

Visit the Site!

Excellent resource, thanks.

So basically countries that don't have a HBO subsidiary don't have confirmed broadcasters. Exceptions being Canal+ countries and UK/Ireland.

There are some significant markets with no broadcaster information. I can see a lot of people watching the shows via the internet if airing dates for those markets aren't well and truly firmed up by on air date in North America.

Not so far as we know. The most recent I heard was about a month back, that someone asked Sky in NZ and they said their plans currently did not include getting the show, but that their plans were always being re-evaluated, so that might change.

Anti-Targ,

Well, there's Orange in France. But yeah, HBO subsidiary or Canal+ countries seem to have gotten out of the gate. I'm hoping it'll turn out there have been more sales that we just haven't heard of because of a lack of fans looking into it.

Indeed, NZ the cultural backwater.

Some TV channel picked up Legend of the Seeker early on but we've no word on GoT. Then again LotS was filmed in NZ with quite a few NZ actors, crew etc, so we were duty bound to play it on NZ TV despite its crapness.

Almost all the high-profile HBO series get picked up by one of the free to air channels: Sopranos, Rome, Boardwalk Empire(?), 6 feet under, True Blood, Deadwood. So I expect GoT to go the same route and be picked up by TV2, TV3, or Prime. I just hope the buy the show for it to be aired at about the same time as in Aussie.

Not knowing if there's a broadcaster doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one -- we may just not know it yet. Or, if there is no broadcaster, doesn't mean there won't be one to jump on board with the usual May air dates many other European countries are getting.

What I'd suggest is for those who live in countries without a confirmed broadcaster to go hunt on-line, find out which broadcasters are likeliest to be carrying recent HBO programming like True Blood or Boardwalk Empire, and then poke around on the web searching to see if there's any reference to them and Game of Thrones (either on their own site, or out on the web).

I'd be happy to do the research myself, but the foreign language thing makes it rather difficult.

Indeed, NZ the cultural backwater.

Generic reply from Sky Tv (I got the same when asking about scifi channel)

"Thank you for your email.

There are no plans at this time to secure rights for that series however these plans are always under review. Please be on the lookout for any on air promos and continue checking our websites to confirm any changes and updates."

:tantrum:

Generic reply from Sky Tv (I got the same when asking about scifi channel)

"Thank you for your email.

There are no plans at this time to secure rights for that series however these plans are always under review. Please be on the lookout for any on air promos and continue checking our websites to confirm any changes and updates."

:tantrum:

I'm pinning my hopes on Prime, TV2 or TV3. Maybe C4, but I don't think they can afford the asking price. True Blood is on Prime, Boardwalk Empire is on Sky Movies, Sopranos was on TV3 (well one of the main free to air TV channels at least). I think Prime is more likely a destination for sci-fi fantasy stuff. But we'll see.

The other show that people might see as similar is Spartacus, not HBO but still American cable channel. That show was on The Box, wich is a Sky channel but it comes with the basic Sky package so no extra expenses if it's on this channel and you already have Sky (or Saturn). I'm thinking of ditching pay TV and giong to Freeview. But I'm going to delay that decision until I see where GoT will land.

@ Artas: I hear you brother.

I wonder if any German members of the forum might consider mailing 13th Street or TNT and ask them if they have any plans of picking up GoT? I am told they respectively air Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, so seem likely candidates due to their past relationship with HBO.

Well, as I actual have 13th Street and TNT over here (Boardwalk Empire is actually on, right now), I really should do that. I really should watch more pay TV, but there are so many channels, and I'm tired of figuring what is on on which channel at which time ;-).

Edit: I asked 13th Street, TNT Serie, and the German branch of Syfy ('True Blood' is now with them, no longer with 13th Street).

Well, last time I asked some guys in the TV/DVD business via email about a product they intend to sell (it was the German producer of silent movies DVDs, and I wanted to know when I can expect to buy the new 'Metropolis' version, and the restored version of 'Die Nibelungen') I got an answer weeks after the original request. I had almost forgotten that I did ask these guys. I don't know if German networks share this policy, but I'd not be surprised if they did.

Well, at least that's something. But given that series in Germany get dubbed, it might (will) air with considerable delay anyways, and even then not asap. So, weeks or months after US airing, best case scenario.

Fun fact: The German DVD box of Season 1 of the Wire got released... sometime during the last 6 months. WTF Germany?

Archived