Asha Greyjoy

Lady of payne

Could be worse... imagine if they had renamed her Helga. :P

Viking jokes aside, the name's probably subject to change if the show can think of a better name. Personally, I do agree that Yara doesn't quite sound 'Ironborne' to me. If they were going to change it, I would have thought the obvious choice would be to use her mother's name (Alannys) instead since I doubt the latter will get mentioned much given the compressed nature of the show.

I wouldn't mind them changing her name, but Yara seems kind of ugly sounding to me.

Yeah. I wouldn't like a name change, too.

That and it seems unlikely. I mean, the HBO viewer's guide still lists Asha as Theon's sister.

Yara could just be a new character. Maybe 'fake' Arya? (wouldn't it be too early for that?)

Well, the casting description of the character is that she must bear (or is it bare?) a resemblance to Theon, and is his sister.

I would list the description here, but I fear that may be breaking some sort of rules and I don't want to be black-listed by the casting director or something.

Well, the casting description of the character is that she must bear (or is it bare?) a resemblance to Theon, and is his sister.

I would list the description here, but I fear that may be breaking some sort of rules and I don't want to be black-listed by the casting director or something.

I've seen the casting description for Brienne and Melisandre posted before.

She looks way too pretty and delicate to me. Guess they could change that sort of thing, but it's not a particularly good warrior woman, IMO.

Jaime Alexander would be a pretty good choice for me. Oddly enough, I thought she was way softened up in Thor, despite playing a warrior goddess, but she was tough and crazy and occasionally bitingly mocking in Kyle XY, so I could easily see her as Asha.

Wooooow, the name change pisses me off, cause Asha is one of my favorite characters in the series.

And it's not like casual viewers even know Osha's name from the series (ask any of your friends if they know what the wildling's name is on the show -- and their response will be: "what's a wildling?").

:thumbsdown:

HBO thinks viewers are retarded or something, changing Robert Arryn's name, and now Asha's. Or at least this show's. I mean shit, I didn't realize Snoop was a girl until like the end of the Wire.

I mean shit, I didn't realize Snoop was a girl until like the end of the Wire.

Seriously? Wow!

Maybe I could tell right away since I know that type of woman (not the violent gangster aspect of her, just the style and carriage).

HBO thinks viewers are retarded or something, changing Robert Arryn's name, and now Asha's.

This isn't HBO changing the names, this is D&D doing this, and this is not even close to the first change from the books. There were no flashbacks or reminders on The Wire with the exception of the first episode. Beyond that you had to remember everyone and everything on your own basically. The show, The Wire, was enormous, sprawling, and complex, and didn't baby viewers. And shows like The Sopranos have dozens of characters with similar sounding names. Even Boardwalk Empire's first episode had a joke about people not being able to keep track of people with similar names and faces. Why is Game of Thrones getting treated like an inferior show with inferior viewers? Are Game of Thrones viewers not as sophisticated as viewers of other HBO shows?

D&D have really dumbed down GRRM's work for television and it's laughable for me at this point. It's as if they are deliberately creating the idiot's version of ASOIAF. "Hey you're too dumb to read the books so let's dumb it down for you". Do they not notice that the books are flying off of the shelves at record sales for the series? People really can't distinguish between old King Robert and the child Robert Arryn? Or the young viking styled Asha and the Wildling Osha who don't even appear on the same piece of land at first? And White Walkers instead of Others....they removed all of the "The Others take them" lines as well...

To quote the great Casey Kasem..."ponderous man...fucking ponderous".

I really hate the name changes. Is it really that hard to keep up with different names that sound similar? Unless your a hermit, pretty much everyone knows multiple persons with the same damn 1st name in real life as well.

"Sorry, we can't hire you. We already have a George at our company. But if you are willing to change your name to any of the names from this list, give us a call."

• 4 weeks later...

Strange name aside, I really like the actress they chose. She's got the sharp-featured face and slender physique I associated with Asha/Yara, plus she definitely looks like she can pull off a "wicked smile".

Yes, I remarked on another thread that she's killing the mischievous look even in her general publicity photos. So long as she can get the hard steel underneath correctly, she'll be perfect.

I also saw a casting for 'Captain's Daughter' and 'Dolorous Edd'. :-)

Look for the producers to change the name from Dolorous Edd to Dolorous Donald or something to prevent viewers from confusing him with "Edd"ard Stark.

Archived