Excerpt from R. Scott Bakker's The White-Luck Warrior

pat5150

So, I got the book yesterday from a friend who just got back from Montreal. Stayed up all night and finished it.

Cleric turning out to be an alternate universe Kellhus I found unbelievable, annoying and massively disappointing.

And the humongous sex robot was the worst deus ex machina I've seen in a good while.

Double-posting to announce that a delivery attempt was made, but they didn't leave it. And the station it's now at is closed on the weekend, so I can't get it until Monday. When Achamian busted out of the circle he wasn't this angry.

I blame Canada.

I'm right there with you brother. I swore that they would have left that thing on my porch. Imagine my disappointment when my fiance told me that there was no book when she got home, only a damn tracking slip. That book was going to be my morning.

For those of us consigned to wait for the US delivery, would y'all with disposable income be so inclined as to post non-spoilery impressions in this thread? I don't dare wander into the spoiler one
Up to about page 320 so far.

I think this is my favorite book of his so far. There are some absolutely kick ass moments from Esme and Mimara that I really love. There are some great set pieces (the aforementioned death does indeed swirl down like a fucking tornado) and really interesting descriptions.

There are some ideas that we got really, really right. Some that were absurdly wrong. And others that at least clarify some thoughts about things. All in all I appreciate quite a few of the answers that I've seen so far.

I didn't think the book is particularly slow-paced. The slowest is the slog, but even that has quite a few great bits - and while there's philosophizing more on that, it's a lot more interesting.

The characters feel a lot more realized than before. Even Akka, who was the best realized of the lot, has more facets than I remember him having.

My only complaint is that some of it feels repetitive of TWP. But not much, and not horribly.

Man, Akka's my favorite character.

It is an awesome book. Thankfully, I'm not as far as you, as I'm trying to relish this experience so I probably won't be joining with everyone's speculation for awhile.

The start really does just kick off though, eh, Razor?

On that note I actually don't expect we'll get anything anywhere close to the TTT appendix at any point in the future. That was basically filling us in on all of the history that we didn't get from the text, and there may not be a need for more as we move forward.

ETA: Does anyone know if there are any more spoiler-free reviews like Pat's out there yet?

Publisher's Weekly did a mini-one...

I remember Bakker stating he wanted to write an updated mega-appendix for the third book of TAE, but who knows if that is still in the works or not. RSB is notoriously tight-lipped about details, even on his blog (other than that rather unwieldly title...)

My UK tradeback just arrived. 590 pages and it does have a new map, one showing the Ancient North in more detail (though I only had an ARC of The Judging Eye that only had the standard Earwa map from the first three, so I don't know if the finished TJE also had this new map).

The PI review is a decent one, and it does really capture the overall feel of the book - the feeling of a Epic Quest combined with reading Heart of Darkness. That being said, there are some very very big spoilers in the review - so if you're trying to stay away from that sort of thing, I'd recommend not reading it.

Archived